• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wlaidlaw

• Rona!d

• stuny

• a.j.z

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a 450, 150, 200 or 300 - rarer than those, with only two original factory cars made, although some have been cobbled together later. Given that you can't measure the engine size from my photo and John is going away I will disclose that it is a 250S. This was the first car to use the new (or at least much revised) four cylinder engine planned for the forthcoming T series birdcage models. The idea was to produce a car with the straight line performance of the 300S but with the lighter and torq

I was going to wait a while, but it seems more than one have taken the time to pursue the story behind this fascinating and remarkable automobile & are aware of the identity of this thing so I think it's time to reveal all. It's the 1935 Hoffman 8X..............and as indicated, it's the only one ever made. The curious thing about this car is that even though it wasn't officially commissioned by one of the big manufacturers there seems to have been enough money available to develop a on

Thanks, Ronald. I found the 906 to be a delightful car, one you didn't so much drive, but rather would "think" around curves, so precise and light and predictable is the handling. It's pointless to try to debate whether it was wise to drive it on the street, since it was simply not made for 'grocery getting' and it's foolish to complain that it's  not suitable for that function, but take it on a brief, vigorous run on a beautiful Saturday morning and it'll change forever your outlook of what a s

Posted Images

wow - you know this car? 

Riley is correct, date as far as I know as well.

But I am not sure if it is a nine derivate or not and I am not sure if it is this MPH or one of the TT types

Edited by thomasstellwag
text correction

Thomas, at least the 2016/2017 owner claims it is what I said. Have to believe them (or not). Basically I would be very careful with these cars and ask for the whole history over the decades. That does NOT mean this one isn´t original!

A couple of years ago I considered a Riley 12/4 Kestrel, a 15/6 or a 1 1/2 Kestrel Sprite Saloon (hatchback). During my "market research" I found that many "recreations" of the open tourers/sports cars are on the market. If you are looking for a "driver" that´s no problem but when you go on rallyes and do not tell it´s another story.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ronald, 

It varies from rally to rally. Ones run under FIVA rules like Tour Auto, Colorado 1000, Mille Miglia, Targa Florio, most HERO events and the Alpine Rally plus others, are very fussy and generally want FIVA or FIA historic papers. For Tour Auto, Mille Miglia and the Colorado 1000, the full provenance of the vehicle is required . Lots of other rallies don't give a hoot, as long as you have paid the entry fee. You are absolutely correct, there is a huge amount of faking and roguery going on in the historic car business, not being helped by the FIA seemingly giving in to certain well connected individuals, restorers and the major auction houses, issuing historic papers for what amounts to newly built cars, with little to no original historic content and frequently over-sized engines (4.7L lightweight E-types etc). 

Some of the scrutineers at rallies are incredibly fussy (and sometimes get their facts wrong on homologated items for less common cars ). On one of the Scottish Malts Trials I did (a HERO event), a Scrutineer tried to claim the brake calipers on my 911 RSR were incorrect at 6 piston front and 4 piston rear. He claimed they should be 4 piston and 2 piston. He was wrong as both the 1976/77 3.0 RS and 3.3 RSR used 917 spec brakes and calipers. He also did not like my Minilite magnesium wheels but I pointed out to him it is only the size (15" x 8R front either 15" x 9R or 10R rear) that is homologated not the maker. I will not use Fuchs wheels on rallies after a rim failure in the past. Meanwhile the same scrutineer had completely missed that I had digital fuel injection instead of mechanical (this almost halves the fuel consumption - important when it can be a long way between sources of 98 octane fuel in the Scottish Highlands). 

Wilson

Wilson years ago I came across a wonderful looking little Riley "Special" Roadster I could have fell in love with. While the seller offered the car in higher end sales channels as "genuine" (but without history and didn´t want to share chassis number to prospective buyers), his restauration buddy offered a matching saloon roof section in other sales channels. Pure coincidence? Maybe, but I doubt Riley saloon roofs in perfect condition grow on trees. There must be a donor car.

Could it be the early version of the Panther J72 (Jaguar SS100 replica) with suicide doors or maybe even a real SS100. Show me the footwell with nowhere whatsoever to rest your left (clutch) foot and I will tell you. My LHD Morgan Three Wheeler is the same, nowhere to rest left foot. 

Wilson