Name this car....

hektor, my dad has the books for that type. I found two cars in the big double book of Schlegelmilch/Lehbrink which I have never really read. One is a 1928 S and the other an undated SS which looks closer to your car. 

Do you have further details of yours?

15 minutes ago, Rona!d said:

hektor, my dad has the books for that type. I found two cars in the big double book of Schlegelmilch/Lehbrink which I have never really read. One is a 1928 S and the other an undated SS which looks closer to your car. 

Do you have further details of yours?

Only its history after arriving in Australia.  The first owner was a client and friend of my father which is how I came to photograph the car.  It then was sold to a chap in Melbourne who didn't keep it long before on-selling to a Mercedes-Benz dealer, Jack Jeffries, in Sydney.  Unfortunately Jeffries modified the windscreen and painted the car white.  On his death it passed to a friend of mine during which time I did a few miles in it as both driver and passenger.  A pleasant touring car, with heavy steering at less than moderate speeds.  Finally it was sold to someone in Europe when prices went silly.  As to it's chassis or engine number, unfortunately I never made a note.

Edited by hektor
  • Thanks 1

hektor, thanks for the most interesting "1930s journey" 😉 

I think this one at Bonhams (which I found later) could well be a sister car to yours. Has an interesting story as well but yours has a personal flavor which is unbeatable.

The funny thing is, that in this outfit, color and angle of shot your car appeared to be too extravagant to be german made. I completely forgot the W06 series and the many variants they made in that line. On the second view a lot looked MB but something was still disturbing hence I came up with foreign cars.

The only pre-war MB I had the opportunity to drive was a 460 Nürburg Tourer about 30 years ago.

Wilson, as you were the first who mentioned MB I would suggest you proceed.

(If you don´t have a next car, I would jump in with something from the last weekends rallye. In this case you decide if "modern" 1950s-1970s or if VERY vintage)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Rona!d said:

hektor, thanks for the most interesting "1930s journey" 😉 

I think this one at Bonhams (which I found later) could well be a sister car to yours.

This was the standard Sindelfingen body.  In comparative terms quite a few were constructed.

6 hours ago, Rona!d said:

Wilson, as you were the first who mentioned MB I would suggest you proceed.

(If you don´t have a next car, I would jump in with something from the last weekends rallye. In this case you decide if "modern" 1950s-1970s or if VERY vintage)

Ronald, 

As I have been housebound for the last nine months, I have nothing new to post. I should be grateful if you could step in. 

Wilson

I apologize ... no right to enter but Wilson's post does suggest a temporary break of the usual rule in this exciting thread.... No idea if can be easy or not for experts... but found this one that for some reasons does intrigue me...  (crop of course) ...

photo deleted due to possible copyright issues („found in the web“ I assume - I found it there too)

(ignore/delete if non appropriate in the context)

Edited by Rona!d
copyright of photo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, luigi bertolotti said:

I apologize ... no right to enter but Wilson's post does suggest a temporary break of the usual rule in this exciting thread.... No idea if can be easy or not for experts... but found this one that for some reasons does intrigue me...  (crop of course) ...

Welcome Luigi.

• Thanks 1

Welcome Luigi. Apologize I have to delete your entry (photo) with that OSI Ford because of possible copyright issues. Please post „own“ car photographs. Thanks.

I‘m sure you have another „own“ shot of a car of your choice.

32 minutes ago, Rona!d said:

Welcome Luigi. Apologize I have to delete your entry (photo) with that OSI Ford because of possible copyright issues. Please post „own“ car photographs. Thanks.

I‘m sure you have another „own“ shot of a car of your choice.

OK, right... sorry for the out of rules post;  I confess that was intriguied because >50 years ago or so my dad, who always liked the idea to have a "family coupè" instead of a "trivial family sedan"  was tempted by this odd car... but disliked the brand... was a Taunus, after all...  got a 124 Coupè just to discover soon that me and my older sister were already "too grown" 😎 and after 2 months changed to the usual sedan ... 😒(fiat 125) 

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Haha 1

Luigi -

While on a temporary duty assignment in the Air Force in the summer of 1969 in California I bought a FIAT 124 Sport Coupe and loved it.  However, the car did not like the intensely cold winters in North Dakota.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb luigi bertolotti:

OK, right... sorry for the out of rules post;  I confess that was intriguied because >50 years ago or so my dad, who always liked the idea to have a "family coupè" instead of a "trivial family sedan"  was tempted by this odd car... but disliked the brand... was a Taunus, after all...  got a 124 Coupè just to discover soon that me and my older sister were already "too grown" 😎 and after 2 months changed to the usual sedan ... 😒(fiat 125) 

That OSI had no technical issues, long lasting engine, could be repaired in whole Europe. The problem was the body makers quality although  many survived given the exotic numbers sold.

My dad had the same idea of a sports family coupe and preferred a Capri I 2.6ltr. over my grandpa’s available Mercedes W111 250 Cabriolet (oh dear now he regrets that and me too).

2 hours ago, stuny said:

Luigi -

While on a temporary duty assignment in the Air Force in the summer of 1969 in California I bought a FIAT 124 Sport Coupe and loved it.  However, the car did not like the intensely cold winters in North Dakota.

I've always loved those cars - the yellow version was iconic!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rona!d said:

Luigi have a look into your photo archive and post a car! Maybe an old one of your dad? Also modern cars are fine. Maybe yours or the one of your wife, neighbour etc.

I have several and will search... but here's a really unrecognizable one... 😎 because my dad had some normal cars... but HIS dad even BUILT its own !! he had a small workshop for agri gear... and put some pieces together in 1900, as recorded time ago in our local newspaper (dirty scan hereunder) ... after that (1902)  he was approached by a gentleman from Turin who easily convinced him that making cars needed organization... 😁... and capital... and that was better to sell FIATs instead of making one car a year (he made 2 plus a sort of small bus)... 😉

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

(my father wasn't yet born at the times of this pic - the boy at right was an uncle of mine whose wife, by a small margin , lived enough to see 3 centuries : 1897-2001)

• Like 9

...and this is my dad in 1933 (25 years... he married much later...) : I cannot say by sure which car is this... very probably Fiat...(was not HIS car but surely of some customer of the family's Fiat dealership, I suppose) ...  but no idea of model (fiat 522 ? 525 ?)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

(scan of a 6x9 contact print... no idea of the photographer....) 

• Like 4