Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jim,

studying the cropped image above, I can't help but conclude that the windshield strongly indicates that this car was definitely not manufactured in the US, GM's 'home country' as it were. The only GM affiliates ( at least that I know of ) that were GM owned and had access to GM's body panels , etc. were Holden and Opel, but I interpret your replies, or non-replies, as stating / implying that it's neither one of those.

I think another clue or hint is in order.

JZG

I am afraid that I have misled you by an inadvertent typo in one of my replies - I left out the all important word "not" when I said "It is GM (General Motors, that is, not genetically modified) though".  It is American but not GM.  Whether there was any Holden involvement or not I don't know (they did assemble and build bodies for cars other than those made by General Motors - Wolseleys, Jowetts and Hillmans come to mind) but I suspect cars such as this one would have been imported as complete vehicles and converted to RHD.

I do not know if this car was privately imported as opposed to being sold here new but, if it was a private import, it was a long time ago, as there is a description of it on a car club website that mentions it being purchased locally by the present owner in the 1970s.

To make up for my faux pas, here is a view from the rear, which should make it a bit easier.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I think you’re right - it is chrome and the missing rear wheel spat cover is the big red herring. I think the sedans usually had the extra window but certainly Chrysler had a “town car” as opposed to “sedan” version with only 2 side windows. Not sure about DeSoto...

The funny thing is that right from the beginning I thought a split second about the shape of the flat front window and slim side windows looking "airflowy" and unconventional. But RHD was the first red herring. Later the "it´s GM" thing and the missing 3rd side window and wheel cover were the next red herrings. The chrome trim between the rear window brought me back on track nethertheless the two other red herrings.

And after all the hazzle AND AFTER finding the right car I could read "DeSoto" on the rear light 😉

From the catalogue - the Town sedan as per the Chrysler with the deleted window from the 4-door sedan...

I suspect this is rarer than the regular 4-door/2-door sedan + coupe models 

Edited by NigelG
  • Like 1

Ronald is correct.  It is a 1934 DeSoto Airflow.  A very rare car in Australia indeed - I have only seen one other, although there are a few Chrysler Airflows about....

We were at Old Parliament House one day on one of our trips to Canberra and our visit just happened to coincide with a club outing for a club with the delightful name of Dinosaur Drivers, although whether it's the drivers or the cars that are the dinosaurs, I don't know.  A search of the internet threw up this reference to the car in the photograph: 

https://cacmc.org.au/website/wp-content/uploads/2014-09-September-Colonial.pdf#page=18

Here are a few other photographs I took of the line up of cars that day:

Once again, my apologies for the misinformation in my earlier post.

• Like 3

Jim, thanks for the link to the cars history. This is the part I like most when talking about interesting cars.

Seems a lot of the cars we initially thought it could be were at that meeting 😉 

I had an unusal slow start to get it, this was well arranged from you 😉

OK, here the next one gents. Sorry for the little delay. Therefore a really generous crop and this is not from my pre-covid archive but shot just a couple of days ago 😉