Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To help get an unbiased overall impression of this rare car,  as opposed to a critics personal opinion, allow me to post front and rear views. I think it's important to remember that was Jaques Saouchik's last commission, and that he died less than two years after this car debuted in Paris at age 75, and that Pegaso was on its last legs as a maker of Spanish 'supercars'.

In case anyone is curious about the wheel wells, it was Ricart's idea to design them as stressed members of the bodywork to reduce thrumming and flapping of the fenders at high speed. It goes without saying that raised the cost of the damned thing considerably.

JZG

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

I wonder who made those big knock off nut wire wheels that Pegaso and Facel Vega cars used. I wonder if it might have been Michelin? In a later era, they made the metric size wheels to suit their TRX tyres. 

Wilson

One last image, the rear view.............curious that what was ostensibly offered and sold as a road car didn't even have vestigial remnants of bumper protection, exposing the protruding, and undoubtedly very expensive to repair head and tailights to all kinds of peril.

JZG

• Like 1

Orvieto, Italy. Millemiglia 2021

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Z. Goriup said:

One last image, the rear view.............curious that what was ostensibly offered and sold as a road car didn't even have vestigial remnants of bumper protection, exposing the protruding, and undoubtedly very expensive to repair head and tailights to all kinds of peril.

JZG

There are several versions that have trapezoid chrome hoops as overriders bolted through the bodywork front and rear, and later(?) ones with a kind of chrome tube “D” (like a cabinet “D” handle) protruding. Needless to say neither arrangement looks good nor provides any protection to the presumably invisible corner extremities (I haven’t sat in one but assume sight lines to the body are non existent at the rear!) 

I don’t have a new puzzle to hand atm so if someone has something tee’d up go ahead 

Edited by NigelG

Here is a version with the “D” handles that was sold by RM in Monterey a while ago

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MO17/Monterey/lots/r208-1954-pegaso-z-102-berlinetta-series-ii-by-saoutchik/430409

and a more recent sale of a late Touring version - much prettier but with that odd bonnet/boot lid detail...

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/ve19/villa-erba/lots/r0027-1955-pegaso-z-102-berlinetta-series-ii-by-touring/769561

• Thanks 3

I think the problem with Pegasos is that nobody ever drives them except for on and off a trailer at Concours d'Elegance show. I have never seen one in a classic race or on a classic rally. The supercharged one in an auction sale (2011 or 2012) which I drove, did not feel like it had anywhere near the 280 HP it was claimed to have. It felt about Jaguar XK140C fast or 190/200 BHP. It was nowhere near the performance of the Ferrari 330 GTS in the same sale that I drove afterwards, admittedly that one fresh from a Moto Technique restoration. The Ferrari is supposed to have 296 BHP but is a considerably heavier car than the Pegaso. Given that Moto Technique had rebuilt it, it probably for the first time in its life, actually had the quoted power. The Pegaso had last had attention in the late 1980's in the USA, when it was part of a large collection there and I guess was mostly static. As the tyres were ancient and rock hard, I could not really judge the handling, especially as an employee of the auction house was sitting beside me :)

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, NigelG said:

Here is a version with the “D” handles that was sold by RM in Monterey a while ago...

Perhaps I'm crazy but IMO the photograph of the car seen in profile from the side in that first link makes it look rather elegant!...

Perhaps it's just a trick of this colour-scheme but it seems to me that the cabin / roof-line area doesn't look quite so out of proportion here as it does in the quiz-car. A case of a Dark colour making things Reduce in size and a Light colour making things seem Larger?...

Philip.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 7:54 AM, pippy said:

Perhaps I'm crazy but IMO the photograph of the car seen in profile from the side in that first link makes it look rather elegant!...

Perhaps it's just a trick of this colour-scheme but it seems to me that the cabin / roof-line area doesn't look quite so out of proportion here as it does in the quiz-car. A case of a Dark colour making things Reduce in size and a Light colour making things seem Larger?...

Philip.

Not crazy at all.............I think we can all agree that the pearl-white with silver top car is simply unattractive and that the color is poorly chosen, whereas reversing the colors to a light top & dark lower quarters, or solid red as shown below, is a much more elegant and fitting choice of exterior finish - doesn't look half bad in arch-competitor's Ferrari red.

JZG

• Like 2

Taking up Nigel's offer, the next 'quiz car'.

Mark and model designation, please.

JZG

14 hours ago, hektor said:

1938 Bentley 4¼

B27LE  passed it on a Mille Miglia retrospective.  It competed in three post war 24 Heures du Mans

...........and actually placed 6th overall in the 1949 edition of the race.

Of course you're correct. This car has been called 'the most beautiful Bentley ever made' and is considered widely to be the direct inspiration for the '52  Bentley Continental R fastback coupes, as well as serving as the ancestor for the 21st century Bentley Continental GT. 

Aluminum bodied,  built by Pourtout Karrozzerie in Paris, driven to 144.6 mph at Brooklands, FXW6 is the one & only original Embiricos Coupe, with several revreations & replicas running around, someone actually built a cabriolet version and is enetering it in Concours as an Embiricos Bentley.

Now that I think about this car, it occurs to me I may have posted it before in thgis thread.....please forgive my absent-mindedness.

Your turn, Hector

JZG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Extraordinarily the Embiricos was not designed by a professional but by Georges Paulin, a Jewish dentist ..... and what a great job he did. In 1938, an attempt was made at Brooklands to beat the 117.5 MPH record for a four seat car, that was held at the time by the Rabagliati Brooklands Special Speed 6 Bentley (BXB 8) that I owned for around 12 years. The Embiricos was a car with two thirds the size of engine and less technically advanced than the Rabagliati (the Speed 6 is overhead cam and 4 valves/cylinder, with around 220 BHP) against the 4¼L Bentley which was push rod inlet and side valve exhaust, with around 140 BHP in its tuned state. The streamlined Embiricos very nearly beat the Speed Six, being just half a mile an hour slower. To achieve a 117.5 MPH lap round the Brooklands outer circuit needs a speed down the straights of around 125 to 130 MPH. I once got the Rabagliati up to an indicated 115 MPH on a trip down to the south of France and it was not at all comfortable. I hate to think what it must have been like round the very bumpy outer circuit. The record was broken the next year, 1939 by Hugh Hunter in his 8C2900 Alfa at 125 MPH. 

Wilson

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, wlaidlaw said:

the 4¼ litre Bentley which was push rod inlet and side valve exhaust...

Dear Wilson, you are confusing the engine with that in the post-war cars.  The pre-war Derby Bentleys had both overhead inlet and overhead exhaust valves.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, NigelG said:

Ponton 220S?

Close enough Nigel,  In fact this wheel was fitted to the 1959-1967 W111 and W112 series cars with 13" wheels.  Unfortunately the tyre size is no longer available whereby the "Heckflosse" series not only look silly but have heavy steering.