Advertisement (gone after registration)

39 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

The 8C Alfas are IMHO the nicest of all pre-war cars to drive.

They did have flat-spots, overcome by fitting a modern Weber inside the Memini.  Now in the Louwman Museum, here is the 1933 Chiron Le Man car in which a friend and I enjoyed a Mille Miglia retrospective:

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wlaidlaw

• Rona!d

• stuny

• a.j.z

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was going to wait a while, but it seems more than one have taken the time to pursue the story behind this fascinating and remarkable automobile & are aware of the identity of this thing so I think it's time to reveal all. It's the 1935 Hoffman 8X..............and as indicated, it's the only one ever made. The curious thing about this car is that even though it wasn't officially commissioned by one of the big manufacturers there seems to have been enough money available to develop a on

Not a 450, 150, 200 or 300 - rarer than those, with only two original factory cars made, although some have been cobbled together later. Given that you can't measure the engine size from my photo and John is going away I will disclose that it is a 250S. This was the first car to use the new (or at least much revised) four cylinder engine planned for the forthcoming T series birdcage models. The idea was to produce a car with the straight line performance of the 300S but with the lighter and torq

Thanks, Ronald. I found the 906 to be a delightful car, one you didn't so much drive, but rather would "think" around curves, so precise and light and predictable is the handling. It's pointless to try to debate whether it was wise to drive it on the street, since it was simply not made for 'grocery getting' and it's foolish to complain that it's  not suitable for that function, but take it on a brief, vigorous run on a beautiful Saturday morning and it'll change forever your outlook of what a s

Posted Images

Our Monza had twin Bing carburettors, apparently from pre-war but it was a methanol fuelled car. The 2600 engine in the Monza was supposed to have 210BHP but it never felt remotely like that to us. When racing the Monza, I always felt it was saying: "Ouch Ouch you're hurting me; please slow down a bit". The Memini carburettors tend to be killed by methanol as the tin in the soldered joints is dissolved away. Our later 1935 Gasoline fuelled 2600 Corsa has the Weber mod to the original Memini and it really feels as if it has the stated 200HP that the engine builder claimed. Here is the Corsa up at Plan-de-la-Tour in the Montagnes de Maures on a lunch trip. 

Wilson

1 hour ago, hektor said:

Don't think it is a 1900 Super Sprint Coupé.  I had one for a while.  Absolute truck/lorry.

Our De Mola bodied Alfa 6C 2500 was not a great car to drive either, albeit very pretty. It was the car that Leopold III re-entered Brussels in after the liberation, although at that time it had a 6C 1750 chassis as underpinnings. The body was swapped to a 6C2500 rolling chassis in around 1947/48. The problem is that a lot of the Italian/French late 40's early 50's coupés look quite similar. 

Wilson

I think it is likely to be Italian as it has Borrani wheels. In this period really only Italian cars used these. It is not curvy enough for a Fiat 8V or a Siata 208, so if it is not an Alfa 1900, the only other Italian coupés which might fit the bill are a Maserati A6G, maybe the Frua bodied one or a Ferrari 195 Inter. The fact that it is LHD unless Stuart is being very sneaky and has horizontally inverted the picture, makes it unlikely to be a Lancia Aurelia B20 GT Phase II (the Phase 1 had quarter light windows). Very few of these were made in LHD. 

Wilson

I think it’s a Pininfarina Ferrari 212 Inter (‘53?).

It’s got the right high shoulder with no expressed rear arch line, but more telling is the top windscreen shape. I think the black paint hides the (awkward) gutter detail at the top of the screen.
The screen’s angular top corners are a bit “spyder-like” suggesting visually that the roof sits down onto the top of the screen frame like a hood. They don’t follow those of most of the contemporary Italian designs where the screen corners are much more radiussed to echo the rear quarterlights and the screen head/roofline profile is much more swept as a clean/uniform surface...

It’s actually a slightly odd detail (to my eyes).

Could be wrong tho 🤔

Stuart, 

I have not driven a 195 or the very similar 212 but I have driven an earlier 166. Lovely sweet engine but that is about it. Horrible steering, amongst the worst I have ever driven after a 540K. My 1955 375MM had been converted by a previous owner to rack and pinion, otherwise I suspect it would not have been much better. 

Wilson

Ronald, 

I would agree and with the sliding windows, it must be the Bertone body version as the Pininfarina and Zagato body ones both had wind up windows. 

Wilson

I will probably get ridiculed for this, but to my eyes that looks a lot like a 1952 Ferrari 340 America coupe.........with an aftermarket steering wheel.

The windows, the vent-window hardware, the location of the gauges and dash-mounted bits all lead to this conclusion.

Edit: On second thought, that actually looks like an authentic sterring wheel, however it appears that the yellow background and the 'Cavallino rampante' on the horn button have been blanked out.

JZG

Edited by John Z. Goriup