Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 8 Minuten schrieb pippy:

Thank you, Andreas, but I feel Nigel is fully deserving the lion's share of the credit here.

I won't be able to post before tomorrow (long story) so if Nigel would like to post something in my stead then I'd be only too happy to defer my own turn. If not then I'll get something ASAP.

Philip.

Fine with me. I had posted the Bagheera some time ago - here for a comparison. The Murena was the successor.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by a.j.z
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, a.j.z said:

And thanks for mentioning the Porsche Tapiro! I had never heard of it and I thought that I know a little bit about Porsche.

I first heard about the Tapiro 'way back' from an unlikely source-book entitled 'Dream Cars' and became more familiar with its history (as far as it was known back then) when, in 1996, I bought my own Porsche 914 which piqued my interest in the model. I was absolutely amazed to learn, ten years or so ago, that the original had been found and bought-back to become - effectively - a sculpture.

Absolutely beautiful car. According to some sources it was fitted with the 1971 2.4L engine from the 911S and, if so, it would certainly have had the Go to match the Show.

OK; if no one objects I'll post this little teaser for your enjoyment.

Basics will suffice but if you are well-informed then please do let slip the dogs of war;

Philip.

• Like 1

Has the Tapiro ever been restored? The last time I saw it around 25 to 30 years ago in the Giugaro/Italdesign section of the National Italian Automobile Museum in Turin, it was still in its burnt out state from a ETA Basque terrorist bomb, from when it was owned by a Spanish industrialist. It was on some very damaged British Minilite magnesium wheels, the same as I use on my 911 RSR, as I don't trust Fuchs wheels for rally use, having had one fail on me during the Circuit of Ireland Rally in 1976 on my Kremer 911. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 2

Oh, well, that didn't take long!

A 1975 Opel GT is correct with, coincidentally, a Matra-Simca Bagheera centre-rear of snap. Over to you, AZach!

Snap of whole thing. I think this is the first time I've ever seen one with the headlights on show; there weren't many of these things around when I was a nipper.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 4

Plus a Renault Caravelle next door. My mother had one of those things. Changing gears was like trying to stir lumpy porridge with a boiled noodle and you might possibly win in a drag race with an electric milk float. 

Wilson

• Haha 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A happy anniversary car:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Has the Tapiro ever been restored? The last time I saw it around 25 to 30 years ago in the Giugaro/Italdesign section of the National Italian Automobile Museum in Turin, it was still in its burnt out state from a ETA Basque terrorist bomb...

There does seem to be an unusual amount of 'smoke and mirrors' concerning the end-game of the car. As far as I can ascertain through some contacts in the PCGB the Tapiro is still kept in the 'destroyed' form in which it existed when you saw it but hard facts seem to be few and far between and my own contacts are hardly recent and in truth their own knowledge probably goes back a great many years.

I'd be fascinated to hear from anyone who has more recent information. I truly consider the Tapiro to have been a missed opportunity.

Philip.

• Thanks 1

Am 1.5.2021 um 02:09 schrieb pippy:

I first heard about the Tapiro 'way back' from an unlikely source-book entitled 'Dream Cars' and became more familiar with its history (as far as it was known back then) when, in 1996, I bought my own Porsche 914 which piqued my interest in the model. I was absolutely amazed to learn, ten years or so ago, that the original had been found and bought-back to become - effectively - a sculpture.

Absolutely beautiful car. According to some sources it was fitted with the 1971 2.4L engine from the 911S and, if so, it would certainly have had the Go to match the Show.

OK; if no one objects I'll post this little teaser for your enjoyment.

Basics will suffice but if you are well-informed then please do let slip the dogs of war;

Philip.

Maybe they should change the rusting screws ...

• Haha 1

+1 for an Indy. That heavy pillar is fairly distinctive although it’s hard to make out the slight radius to the bottom edge of the rear window (not entirely sure why Vignale persisted with it as a kind of vestige of the rear arch - it always looks a bit “off” to me)

19 hours ago, Rona!d said:

back to the flower power anniversary car

Surely “any of the usual suspects” can recognise the door hinges..