Name this car....

5 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

...My brother teases Adrian Newey about his Red Bull GT40 "Replica", where the original has been rebuilt in titanium and carbon fibre...

Sorry for going a bit 'tangential' for a mo' but I was wondering why someone so respected as Mr. Newey would have done such a thing to an Historic vehicle but then I read about his accident in the 2008 Le Mans Classic. Here's a link to a snap showing the mess his shunt made of the GT40's paintwork;

GT-40-580x298.jpg (580×298) (auto-blog.com.mx)

Glad to see Mr. Newey got out OK!

Philip.

Edited by pippy

1 hour ago, pippy said:

Sorry for going a bit 'tangential' for a mo' but I was wondering why someone so respected as Mr. Newey would have done such a thing to an Historic vehicle but then I read about his accident in the 2008 Le Mans Classic. Here's a link to a snap showing the mess his shunt made of the GT40's paintwork;

GT-40-580x298.jpg (580×298) (auto-blog.com.mx)

Glad to see Mr. Newey got out OK!

Philip.

Philip, 

He is one of those people who has to win and I assume that is what made him so good as a designer. You would not know it when you talk to him, as he comes over as rather diffident and mild. Put him in a race car and Dr. Jekyll turns into Mr. Hyde. 

Wilson

• Thanks 2

vor 2 Stunden schrieb wlaidlaw:

Philip, 

He is one of those people who has to win and I assume that is what made him so good as a designer. You would not know it when you talk to him, as he comes over as rather diffident and mild. Put him in a race car and Dr. Jekyll turns into Mr. Hyde. 

Wilson

I found his book „How to Build a Car“ quite interesting. He also mentions his racing efforts.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Next one:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2 hours ago, a.j.z said:

I found his book „How to Build a Car“ quite interesting. He also mentions his racing efforts.

Adrian's wife, Mandy, has promised to sign my copy of the book the next time we meet up: "behind every great F1 designer is an even faster lady". We have agreed this will be far more valuable than the many signed by Adrian. Mandy is a Leica camera enthusiast. 

Wilson

• Like 3

Well - I’ve been pondering that  rubber seam detail.

I was initially thinking something modest like a Matra-Simca Bagheera but the rubber bumper version doesn’t have a painted top section...it’s also quite a short/square headlamp unit.

I looked at the Bagheera but the pop-up headlights don't go over the edge. Same with a TR7 V8, so I was thinking of a Maserati Merak or even a Bora which had similar headlights. In 1982, I looked at a Bora which had been a bank repossession but had sat outside under a tarpaulin for over two years, while court cases ensued and was in consequence, quite cheap (about £7 to 8000 from memory). However, none of the Citroen high pressure hydraulics were working, which did everything on the car from brakes, to pedal box position and suspension. I gave it a miss and I suspect, very wisely too :) I ended up buying a 1973 Ferrari 365 GTC-4 instead which was a far more sensible buy and sold it 9 years later for over double what I paid for it rusty body and all. 

Wilson

• Like 2

I was initially thinking about stuff as varied as a possible Mazda RX variant or even the (absolutely stunning) Porsche Tapiro but as neither fit the bill and with the support given to previous suggestions - specifically Nigel's in post 15171 - how about a Matra Murena?

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 3

vor 20 Stunden schrieb pippy:

I was initially thinking about stuff as varied as a possible Mazda RX variant or even the (absolutely stunning) Porsche Tapiro but as neither fit the bill and with the support given to previous suggestions - specifically Nigel's in post 15171 - how about a Matra Murena?

Philip.

Yes, a Matra Murena - over to you, Philip

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

Thank you, Andreas, but I feel Nigel is fully deserving the lion's share of the credit here.

I won't be able to post before tomorrow (long story) so if Nigel would like to post something in my stead then I'd be only too happy to defer my own turn. If not then I'll get something ASAP.

Philip.