Name this car....

Another thought - The Zagato bodied Jaguar XK140, given as Philip noticed, no quarterlights? A car with a lovely middle and back but I don't think the front was an improvement on the original. 

Wilson

An interesting set of guesses, but none are on target.  It is from the 1950s, and an improvement over its immediate predecessor, though very few were made.  Here's a more generous crop:.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Pegaso. Z 102 Berlinetta (Touring). Knew the slots in the bonnet but took a while to sort out maker and model.

First I also thought of some sort of Fiat otto vu (8V) but couldn‘t remember one made by Touring which looked like the riddle car.

Ricart, its designer worked at Alfa like Enzo Ferrari who made Ricart his personal enimy at Alfa.

Irony: The later Pegaso (up to 360 hp) was faster than any period street Ferrari and the horse in Pegasos logo could fly while the horse of Ferrari only had the front legs in the air. Ricart’s car was ahead of its time but material wasn‘t good enough for this pretty complex construction.

Ronald is within a nanometer of correct.  This is the replacement for the Z102, the  '54 Z103 3.2 liter Berlinetta.  Your turn.

• Like 2

I wonder just how good the Pegasos really were when new. A large percentage of the modest number (about 100) made, seem to be in museums or static collections and rarely driven. In 20+ years of classic car rallying, I have yet to come across one. I was not impressed by the single Z102 that I drove some 25 years ago, admittedly it had not been well re-commissioned after a long stay in a Spanish Museum. It did not have remotely near 320HP, more like 180-200HP would have been my guess. It felt about as fast as a base model 3.4L Jaguar XK 150. The steering was heavy and vague, but then many 1950's GT cars are similar. The 166/195 Ferraris have horrible steering. It is only when you drive the BMW derived 1950's Bristol and Frazer-Nash cars, the Lancia GT's or the rack and pinion steered Jaguar XK140, that you realise just how good steering could be made at that time. 

Wilson

• Like 3

Pegaso (ENASA) was a truck maker, what do you expect, Wilson? ;-))

Technically they were ahead but material and fabrication wasn‘t. They were much too expensive to produce, lots of own technical solutions, small series can be a pain for a maker. Nobody else to blame but yourself 😉

I can imagine that the car section was also on a pretty low budget, especially when you have complex solution ideas.

Only very few mechanics can service and restore Pegasos properly. For a long time they were sold under value, not of interest for a high end restorer/service company when you can make more money with your Ferrari clients. Not many owners want to risk their „difficult“ vehicle in rallyes.

Engines varied from 2,5ltr. and 175 hp to 3,2ltr. with (allegedly) 360 hp. Many cars were sold to society ladies, power didn‘t count but design did 😉 Lack of service and adjustment might be another reason you only found 180-200hp in the car you could drive. Even 175 hp. are good for around 200 km/h, frightening enough for my taste.

• Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb hektor:

Did Pegaso insist on the ugly front?  Touring (this car) usually designed elegant coachwork.

Compared to other Pegasos this looks pretty elegant. I´m sure there were certain design guidelines to follow. And the "big front mouth" is typical Pegaso design language. No complaints. Different yes.

I like the cooling intakes and outlets in the bonnet. Not as high as at many other cars which often have a big central hood which is also in sight of the drivers "road view".

vor 4 Stunden schrieb stuny:

Ronald is within a nanometer of correct.  This is the replacement for the Z102, the  '54 Z103 3.2 liter Berlinetta. 

Stu, chassis # 0150 should be a Z102 with the 3.2 ltr. engine after a factory refit in 56. Also RMSotheby´s offered it as a 102 in NY. Here the car´s story.

@ Wilson: "Only" 223 bhp here. So the one you have driven 25 years ago propably didn´t have more than you "felt" while driving. Might have been a less powerful 2.8ltr. too.

• Like 2

Sorry for the Easter delay, here comes the next one ...