Name this car....

Yes, a Type 14 Volkswagen Karmann-Ghia (not mine).  I don't know the exact year of this car but it is post 1961.  When fitted with a later 1719.4 cc Shasta big bore kit they were IMHO a nicer car than the Porsche 356.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If I had any money, which I don’t, I’d buy as near a perfect Karmann Ghia as I could find and  I’d wave graciously at passers-by as I tootled along to the next classic car show.

One of the best looking cars ever made in my humble opinion.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, andybarton said:

One of the best looking cars ever made in my humble opinion.

Hi Andy,  I still have your shot of the lighthouse at New Brighton Wirral as one of my screen-savers.  Yes the Karmann-Ghia has everything, looks and brains.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Excuse me for posting these out of turn but I would like these two cars identified and I don't know what they are. I was looking for some turn of the last century photos in my Grandfather's photo album at the request of the archivist for a small town in Scotland, where they lived (I didn't find any of what she wanted) but found the two below. The caption on the older car was as follows: "Our car and driver waiting to take us to the station after lunch with the mayor, Palace Hotel, Aberdeen, 2 Sept 1906". The undated caption on the second is: "John's car being refuelled at Town and Country Garage, Aberdeen." Now I would assume that would refer to my Great Uncle John (whose 1934 Leica model III I still have) but I thought he always had Lanchester or Daimler cars and it is neither of those. Maybe a 30HP Armstrong Siddeley. 

Wilson

PS I wonder if the older car might be a Wolseley 12HP? 

Edited by wlaidlaw

The first one is a Wolseley, 1902 at the earliest (the year the stepped radiator was introduced) and 1905 at the latest (the year that the horizontal engined cars were discontinued).  Determining the actual model is not so easy, although I don't think it's a four cylinder car, as their bonnets were a bit longer, and it looks a bit big for a single cylindered car.  My guess (and it is a guess) is that it's a 10 or 12hp twin cylinder Wolseley.

Edited by Jim J
(forgot an apostrophe)
  • Thanks 1

Don't know if this helps:

RG was an Aberdeen registration, whereas I would have expected my great uncle's car to have had an SE registration for Banffshire, so this might have been a loan car.  Being Aberdeen registered and knowing how careful Aberdonians are with their money, I suspect it would have been the 20HP, with the 30HP/5 litre being far too profligate with fuel :)

The picture of the Armstrong was a horrible photo, exceedingly contrasty and underexposed. If you lighten it like Hektor has done, some more of what little detail there is, blows out. The much better quality photo of the Wolseley, was obviously professionally taken, as it has a Press and Journal, the local Aberdeen daily newspaper, stamp on the back. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

12 hours ago, hektor said:

My recollection is the "Käfer" cabriolet by Dannhauer & Strauss being built in the early fifties.  This is not one of them, although it was fitted with a Volkswagen Type 1 engine.

For what it's worth.............here's  an image of a freshly restored Dannhauer - they're quite rare.

SL / 24-90 V.E.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to continue drifting the thread but seems the experts here can identify any car. My question is about a picture taken august 1929. I know all the people but the car is unknown.

Gentleman on the left my grandfather and lady on the right my grandmother. Also grandfather’s brother with spouse.

The other one is grandfather and brother with families. The boy with round cap is my father.

Any idea of the car?

2 hours ago, AZach said:

Sorry to continue drifting the thread but seems the experts here can identify any car. My question is about a picture taken august 1929. I know all the people but the car is unknown.

Gentleman on the left my grandfather and lady on the right my grandmother. Also grandfather’s brother with spouse.

Early crash helmets?

• Haha 1

Seems like a good deal of nice exchange going on.  Hate to interrupt with an I.D. car post but here it goes.  

The special version of this machine was built/offered worldwide from years 1986 to 1992 in four different body configurations.  They were built in a different factory and in a different country than the "standard" models.  What is the make, model name and the special feature?  Bonus points for the four body configurations.  The mudflap is a key I.D. element.  jDD

Edited by m410