Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We have this one’s big brothers, the equally “Noddy” (Enid Blyton) looking 319 2 door cabriolet and the ex-Lady Betty Haig 328, which is the only officially FIA approved historic pre-war 328 competition car, with a Bristol engine, as it was used as a test bed for this engine from 1947 onwards and that was how Betty Haig raced and rallied it in period. Unofficially, I suspect quite a few 328 cars now use part or wholly Bristol engines, as being far more robust and tuneable than the original somewhat fragile BMW engine, from which the Bristol engine was developed. 

Wilson

• Thanks 1

Sorry about the delay folks and will try and sort out a car tomorrow.

Yesterday and today spent sorting out paperwork for my burglary in June and I had the loss adjuster for 5 hours this morning - yawn. I used to give talks to insurance executives at insurance conferences and told them time and again, that if they treat honest claimants, dishonestly when dealing with their claims, then they should not be surprised when otherwise 100% honest folk, inflate their claims, assuming that the insurance company will short charge them. I have claimed for RRP on everything stolen knowing that AXA will discount the settlement. 

Wilson

Here is your next one scanned from a newspaper cutting in family photo album. It had the text underneath: "Photo from Banffshire Herald, taken by me with Papa's new Leica II and Hector (sic) lens at Brooklands 1935" Luckily it also named the car, as I think, even though my knowledge of 1930's race cars is quite good, it would have had me scratching my head. I assume the driver must have had local connections for the picture to have made the local paper but I have no definite knowledge as to who he might have been. At a guess it might have been Peter Mitchell-Thompson, who later became Lord Selsdon. The text also solved a puzzle for me, as I did not know if the Hektor 50/2.5, which I still have, originally belonged to my grandfather's 1935 model II or his brother's 1934 model III, both of which I also have. Given that it was a more expensive lens than the Elmar, I had always thought it probably belonged to the model III. The Hektor lens dates from 1932, so it would either have been new old stock or secondhand, when my grandfather bought it from Lizars in Aberdeen, Scotland in mid 1935. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wlaidlaw

A bit more research after being misled by the wrongly spelt car name in the caption below the photo. I now know who the driver was as well. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

Nigel correct - well done. Mrs Gwenda Stewart was a pretty fast lady and not just in racing cars. I think that at this time, she was married to a Colonel Neil Stewart, who was a cousin of my grandmother (still alive in 1935) and that would have been the local connection for the photo in the paper, published in Keith, Banffshire. That is where I was born and the family's main textile mill was. The car was described in the caption as a Darby with American Miller Engine but from the appearance, I would guess that Derby contribution was not massive. The driver presumably would have been named in the text accompanying the picture but that had been cut off and only the misspelt Darby and Hector were there in my father's writing. It was only on closer inspection that I realised the driver was a woman and the other information on her came from a couple of my reference books. She divorced Colonel Stewart not long after this photo was taken. My father told me that while at Brooklands he had been introduced to Sir Malcolm Campbell by his host but found him rather terse and abrupt. 

Your turn

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

Yes i I believe she was rather fast! (She apparently posted the Brooklands Ladies Outer Circuit lap record in 1935 at an average speed of 135.95mph.)

Crop from a poor shot (raining hard). A somewhat interesting but not really any faster more recent machine....

Edited by NigelG

• 2 weeks later...

10 minutes ago, a.j.z said:

(Renault) Alpine A110?

Correct! Spotted in the wild for the first time on the Ile de Re earlier this year...

Not as mignon as the original but not too flabby or haunchy looking.

• Like 1

• Like 1