Name this car....

Kent, my best guess is a 1957 Sprint Veloce Zagato (SVZ).

The double bubble roof indicates this is one of several cars Zagato built after his initial SVZ, constructed for Carlo di Priolo, after he crashed his brand new Giulietta Sprint Veloce in the 1956 Mille Miglia during a rain storm.

If not mistaken, this particular car was also tuned by Virgilio "The Sorcerer" Conrero, who is best known for his machining a twin spark 1300/1600 head even before the factory did for their GTZ and GTA models.

If it ain't that, well then, I got nothin'.

You got it! The car was photographed at the 2008 AROC concourse in Chicago. I'll post a more complete photo after I get home, probably on Monday. I spent a long time with the owner talking about how much fun the car was to use, and he uses it a lot.

Great answer, your turn now.

Kent

This time, name both the car and the famous, now deceased, owner. Hint: it helps if you know "Airplanes."

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here's the photo of the SVZ that I promised:

Kent

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You're in the neighborhood, Pete but this particular car is the 190's bigger brother. The former owner was an American actor who starred in two aircraft related movies, the first with John Wayne and the second, later and in a much different vein. He became famous for a US television drama series which was later made into a motion picture co-starring Sean Connery. The licence plate gives a hint. If this is still too ambiguous, more clues tomorrow.

You're correct! I'm glad somebody got this one as I was afraid, after posting, that it was a little too difficult. For those who were wondering, the abbreviated licence plate refers to "The Untouchables," Stack's TV series which made him a household name. He also starred in "The High And The Mighty" and the 1980 comedy disaster movie spoof, "Airplane."

Looks like you're next up, Malcolm.

OK...here goes.

Ooh, you picked a good one!

Kent

Yes indeed! Looks Italian, so it may be Swiss, early 50s because of drum brakes, body-builder's badge looks like "V", badge on the front looks not unlike a Porsche crest. Hmmmm.....

edit: the wheels look huge, so it is probably a very small car. I think it is a Porsche! But why would it have a huge radiator grille and an air intake for the carbs??????

Edited by elansprint72

Yes indeed! Looks Italian, so it may be Swiss, early 50s because of drum brakes, body-builder's badge looks like "V", badge on the front looks not unlike a Porsche crest. Hmmmm.....

edit: the wheels look huge, so it is probably a very small car. I think it is a Porsche! But why would it have a huge radiator grille and an air intake for the carbs??????

Only a complete idiot could mistake a Porsche crest for the Scorpion!