Name this car....

Sorry for the delay, enjoying our first real heatwave of the season and just had to get out of town to some higher elevation.

Let's try this one - manufacturer and model will suffice, since that will tell us the year(s) it was made.

I have no idea why my images are so large, a recent phenomenon.....to the best of my knowledge, I am not doing anything different when I use Lightroom to reduce them to the required size & format.

JZG

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Anyone ? How about another clue.........

JZG

The car is actually a 1958 BM W, Series 2, 503 Cabriolet, and it looks like we have two correct answers, with Nigel's sounding a bit more specific & definitive.

I hope this can all be worked out between all parties and we can continue the game.

I am not at all sure this makes any  difference, but to the best of my ability to ferret this out, Max Hoffman was the 'instigator' of the entire post-war, modern BMW luxury 2+2 project, and between Max & and BMW management got Graf Albrecht von Goertz to design the 502, 503 and 507 BMWs, with German coach builder Baur being the intended coachbuilder, but by the time the 503 project was approved it was no longer necessary to plan to farm out the bodywork, since the capacity to do this in-house had been restored and the decision was reached to produce these in München, which most likely accounts for the fact that almost obliterated-in-the-war BMW lost massive amounts of money on the 503 project and discontinued the  model in 1959. Prior to posting this car, in an attempt to learn more about it, since this was the first 503 I'd seen in the flesh, I read numerous reports ( on the internet, which we all know to be infallible ) ranging from Bertone producing a small number of the 140 or so Cabriolets of the total run of about 420 cars, with all-alloy bodies, to a clear statement that there was no Bertone involvement at all-to my eyes the car looks far more 'Italianate' than any of Goertz's other work - and like I said, does it really matter.

Leica M-240-P / 35mm Summilux FLE.

JZG

Edited by Ivan Goriup
  • Like 4

Definitely not by Bertone (but there is a "designer" oddity here)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NigelG said:

Correct but which sort (of slightly corroded) Lincoln and (much trickier) what is the “designer” connection?

I'm glad I didn't post first.

My thoughts were more along the lines of 'Spectrum Patrol Car; designer Gerry Anderson'...

Philip.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stuny said:

In about ‘76 Lincoln hired Blass, Givenchy, Pucci & Cartier to tart up the Continental , Mark 6 I think it was. They are all but the same. 

A little too late a model but you definitely get the win for getting the obscure “designer” connection. 👏🏻

It’s actually a Mk V - I need to check the year of production

While I dig out the full picture for tomorrow it is actually possible to identify which designer version it is from the crop…🤓

Edited by NigelG

3 hours ago, pippy said:

I'm glad I didn't post first.

My thoughts were more along the lines of 'Spectrum Patrol Car; designer Gerry Anderson'...

Philip.

Well it was in the same fetching metallic blue!

My Dinky Toys version - still in a clamshell plastic box in my parent’s attic! - fired an orange missile from the front IIRC amongst other “dynamic features

• Like 2