Name this car....

Wilson, again, partially correct. It is German, it is a streamliner but it's not a BMW.

I have taken the liberty of posting an image of the BMW 328 Mille Miglia streamliner of '38, so the differences may be observed.

JZG

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Getting very close, Wilson but not quite there yet.

Allow me to post an interesting link to a paper that covers the fascinating subject of streamliners of the '30s, when Dr. Kamm's & others early work revealed just how much automobile dynamics could be affected by the scientific application of aerodynamic design  -  https://issuu.com/bmwclassiccca/docs/streamliners_of_the_1930s

Thanks for participating,

JZG

Edited by Ivan Goriup
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I guess by posting the short work ' Streamliners of the '30s' ( post #21526 above ) I revealed the solution to this puzzle......it's the 1938 Mercedes-Benz 540K Streamliner'.

This unique, factory built example was created by the Daimler-Benz works at their Sindelfingen plant to be entered in the planned Berlin - Rome race in celebration of the treaty creating the axis between Germany & Italy, which never happened due to the start of WW II in Sept of '39. Before the race the car spent much time at the Dunlop tire works in Germany to be fitted with much stronger, suitable high-speed tires which were tested on the then newly built Autobahn.

'Rescued by an American GI at the end of the war,and actually painted US Army olive green, the car languished in storage for decades and was largely forgotten until the decision was reached early in the 21st century by M-B management to meticulously restore the car in the then newly created Classic Department to race-entry condition. It's world-wide 'debut' was held at the Pebble Beach Concours in 2014, where I was lucky enough to catch it's entrance to the lawn with my Leica M240-P with 35mm Summilux FLE.

A beautiful, historic and highly accurate  restoration of an historic automobile.

I suppose Wilson recognizing that it is one of the German stream liners would make him the closest to a 'winner' of this post, so if someone has something interesting...please post away.

JZG

Edited by Ivan Goriup
  • Like 4

A few more images.

M240-P / 35mm Summilux FLE

JZG

• Like 5

A side view.

JZG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

During the interval whilst someone finds something interesting to post how about folks having a wild (or, more probably, not so wild!) guess about this sweetie?

Trumpets, if you please, Maestro...

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

Philip, your black & white looks to be an Italian product. Has a lot of the Maserati 250 F design elements, yet I don't think it is one of Gioacchino Colombo's masterpieces, also, some of the front suspension components are reminiscent of the Ferrari 500 F2 single seater, but nothing appears to be an accurate match and to the best of my knowledge one was never produced in a 6 cylinder ( in-line ) version - so I guess I'm saying that I really haven't the foggiest

Nardi fooled around with some Alfa-6-cylinder-engined sports / race cars but they weren't single seaters - and your image certainly looks like a mid-50's grand Prix car.

JZG

• Thanks 1

Clearly you are thinking along the right lines. Unfortunately I don't have any colour snaps so that 'bit' will have to be left to your imagination!

Although prototypes of this single-seater were being tested in '55 it was a few years before the programme came to fruition. It is, as you say, a 6-cylinder Grand Prix machine displacing 2.5L and is European. The engine's designer was also European but didn't hail from Italy.

Here's another crop taken from the only frame I shot of this rather lovely - and equally rare - thoroughbred. Pretty soon (if you need more clues) you can make a patchwork quilt of the whole shebang!......😸......

Philip.

3 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Aston Martin DBR-4 GP car from 1959, with de-stroked Marek 3.8 litre engine to 2.5L.

Spot on, Wilson, in all details. Congratulations!

Lovely thing but, from what I'vre read, just a wee bit too late and tardy in the development stakes as Aston (understandably) at that time were concentrating their resources on the Sports Car programme. The win at Le Mans in '59 would tend to prove that in that regard their focus paid off handsomely but it is still a pity the DBR4 wasn't given just a little bit more love and attention. Ah well.....

Pic of the full thing taken with my trusty old M2 & 35mm Summaron (M);

OK; Intermission Over and we return our viewers to our scheduled programme...

Thanks for playing and Open to All-comers!

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The DBR4 has in more recent years been developed into a Historic GP winner, mainly by Richard Williams who also had upgraded our DB4 GT Zagato to around 360 BHP. Same story with the Maserati 250F, where the engine giving around 245 BHP in period is now up to nearer 290 BHP. The mid engined British cars using the Coventry Climax FPF, are very little faster than they were in period as the FPF was developed in period to about the maximum it is capable of. Also many historic GP races are very sensibly split into front and mid engined car, either as separate classes or separate races. Same thing with post war sports racer cars, where generally the split is into disc braked and drum braked cars. 

Apologies for having nothing to post for health reasons. 

Wilson

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

The DBR4 has in more recent years been developed into a Historic GP winner, mainly by Richard Williams who also had upgraded our DB4 GT Zagato to around 360 BHP...

If I might ask, Wilson, was there one thing in particular which was the primary clue to the identity of the DBR4? Was it a combination af various details revealed within the crops or did you simply recognise the car through familiarity?

I, for one, would be fascinated to know!

As far as Richard Williams(*) is concerned I'm slightly embarrased to say that I always used to confuse him with Robin Hamilton who, of course, was heavily involved in the running of the 'Works' Nimrod Astons at Le Mans during the early '80s......

Philip.

* The son of a (DB6 Vantage-owning as it happens) friend of mine was offered a very-temporary position with Richard Williams Engineering as part of his school's 6th Form 'Work Experience' duties.

Nice Work If You Can Get It!......😸......

Edited by pippy
  • Like 3

Philip, 

Other than the Maserati 250F, which you eliminated early in the thread, I think that the DBR4 was the only other DOHC straight six GP car in the 2.5L era other than a few no hopers/non qualifiers, using for example a short stroke Jaguar XKC engine and I think there was one using a 6 cylinder version of the Alta engine. Unlike what many believe, Ferrari did make a couple of straight sixes which were six cylinder versions of either the 500 Monza or the larger 750 Monza 4 cylinder engines, resulting in a three and four and and a half litre sixes. However they were only used very briefly and unsuccessfully in sports racing cars. I have been told they suffered very severe crankshaft torsional flutter which rapidly destroyed the centre main bearings. They seem to never be mentioned in most Ferrari books. 

Wilson

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

...Other than the Maserati 250F, which you eliminated early in the thread, I think that the DBR4 was the only other DOHC straight six GP car in the 2.5L era other than a few no hopers/non qualifiers, using for example a short stroke Jaguar XKC engine and I think there was one using a 6 cylinder version of the Alta engine. Unlike what many believe, Ferrari did make a couple of straight sixes which were six cylinder versions of either the 500 Monza or the larger 750 Monza 4 cylinder engines, resulting in a three and four and and a half litre sixes. However they were only used very briefly and unsuccessfully in sports racing cars. I have been told they suffered very severe crankshaft torsional flutter which rapidly destroyed the centre main bearings. They seem to never be mentioned in most Ferrari books...

Thank you very much, Wilson, for such a fascinating relpy. So much detail to mull over!

Philip.

18 minutes ago, stuny said:

Who would like to step in or Wilson and post the next mystery car?

Here goes ...