Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Who copied whom?

1935 Alfa Romeo 6C 2300 Pescara coupé which was the Milano Show car:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Great similarity, Wilson, but Hektors suspicion is correct.

Here's another car that looks amazingly similar to the Alfa - the  Bentley Embiricos. This is a one-off commissioned by greek shipping tycoon Andre Embiricos, built on a '38 Bentley Derby 4 1/2 liter, designed by Georges Paulin who was working for  Portout Carrosserier.

That's not my photo, but then, neither is the one we had to guess.

JZG

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On a Mille Miglia retrospective I was behind the Embiricos Bentley for a while and was surprised by the extent of its body roll.  Maybe after all the years and racing its dampers were shot!

Edited by hektor

On a Mille Miglia retrospective I was behind the Embiricos Bentley for a while and was surprised by the extent of its body roll.  Maybe after all the years and racing its dampers were shot!

We had a 4¼ Vanden Plas open tourer and they are very "rolly-poly" even with the Tele-control shocks set to firm. I have never been a big fan of Derby Bentleys and much prefer the earlier Cricklewood "real" Bentleys. Another family member prefers the Derby ones and currently has a Racing Green Bentley Three-Eight Racer, based on an R Type but with a tuned B81 straight 8 Rolls Royce engine ( 4 x 2" SU carburettors = 230+BHP at 3200 RPM). 

Wilson

We had a 4¼ Vanden Plas open tourer and they are very "rolly-poly" even with the Tele-control shocks set to firm. I have never been a big fan of Derby Bentleys and much prefer the earlier Cricklewood "real" Bentleys. Another family member prefers the Derby ones and currently has a Racing Green Bentley Three-Eight Racer, based on an R Type but with a tuned B81 straight 8 Rolls Royce engine ( 4 x 2" SU carburettors = 230+BHP at 3200 RPM). 

Wilson

Sounds like an improved "Scalded Cat"

Hektor, 

This is much more of a race car and looks more like the Pacey Hassan Bentley. I am not a big fan of the B81 engine. Too many vibration/resonance periods. It revs less than a 6½L Cricklewood Bentley engine and produces less power, where the 25 year older design but far more advanced (OHC and 4 valves/cylinder) engine, can relatively easily be persuaded to make 250 to 260 BHP at 4200 RPM. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

Red Captain on red carpet

You got it Wilson. Opel Kapitän

The round headlights indicate the model 1948 -50

Sorry about delay folks. Been ill for last two days after restaurant fed me parsnips hidden in potato croquettes. There is an alkaloid found only in parsnips, which is poisonous for me. The problem is I like them and it was only five minutes after eating the very nice tasting croquette, that I became ill and realised what had happened.  Beginning to feel better and will start looking through various hard drives for new image tomorrow. 

Wilson

Hi Wilson,

Trust you are feeling better.

Here is a photo to which I don't know the answer.

Ever since buying Paul Wolff's book "Meine Erfahrungen in der Farbfotografie" (My Experiences in Color Photography) seventeen years ago I have wondered what car this was.

It is German is all I can add.

Anyone have a clue?

Hektor, 

This is much more of a race car and looks more like the Pacey Hassan Bentley. I am not a big fan of the B81 engine. Too many vibration/resonance periods. It revs less than a 6½L Cricklewood Bentley engine and produces less power, where the 25 year older design but far more advanced (OHC and 4 valves/cylinder) engine, can relatively easily be persuaded to make 250 to 260 BHP at 4200 RPM. 

Wilson

As you know, the B80 and B81 engines were designed for military use.  I imagine when in combat one is not too fussed by vibration/resonance, and possibly why they were not put into passenger car production.

Finally beginning to feel better thank you.

I think the car in your photo might be a Zundapp Janus. We do have a couple of German car experts who are regular visitors to this thread, who would know better than me. 

Wilson

Finally beginning to feel better thank you.

I think the car in your photo might be a Zundapp Janus. We do have a couple of German car experts who are regular visitors to this thread, who would know better than me. 

Wilson

The Zündapp Janus was made between 1957 and 1958.

Paul Wolff had been dead for a decade by then.

The only German car I can think of that might fill the bill is an Audi Front UW 220/225. With a gear-change like that, it must be front wheel drive. Wolff was involved in supplying advertising photos for the Auto Union group and a number of his photos feature the Wanderer W25 cabriolet (also Auto Union Group, like the Audi). The W25 used the same Ferry Porsche designed straight six (1950cc and 2257cc) as the Audi Front. These in spite of their handsome looks, were not exactly fire breathing monsters. Even the later large engined variety had a top speed of just over 100kph. 

Wilson