elansprint72

Name this car....

I think also the design lead to legislative questions surrounding the issue of driving with the door panels retracted (the only was to drive it IMHO) as to whether this constituted operating the vehicle with the doors “open”.....

Owners of Jeep Wranglers, who can remove their doors, seem to be able to do so and drive in the US without legal issue, but perhaps I've just never seen anyone cited for it.

My Morgan doesn't have any doors.

My sister had a Z1 and had a lot of trouble with the doors. This was in South Africa, where nobody knew how to set up the chains that operated them, correctly. 

Wilson

Didn't have any doors on my CJ-7 Jeep when I was on Oahu for a while - admittedly that was back in the 80s :)

As for the M3W you do sit in it Wilson, after climbing over the side.

My understanding is the the “problem” for the Z1 is a technicality. Doors are not required to be fitted, but if they are in many countries they must be closed when the vehicle is used. Similar to the position with seat belts etc.

When the Z1 is driven with the doors retracted they are technically both “fitted” and “open”.....legislators tend to assume that doors are hinged.

The Z1 was not sold in the US officially and can I think only be imported / used under “show car” documentation (up to 2500 certified miles per annum) as it cannot meet US approval.

The other problem is if the mechanism goes out of alignment you can get scratches on the outside of the panels!

Edited by NigelG

vor 11 Stunden schrieb wlaidlaw:

My sister had a Z1 and had a lot of trouble with the doors. This was in South Africa, where nobody knew how to set up the chains that operated them, correctly.

Sometimes owners had problems with the end position of the doors and thought they can easily and only adjust the doors through the belt/chain. Wrong. Although everything had to be adjusted correctly it was also wear of the door lock parts which caused trouble after a while. The end position was determined by the position of the lock pin. You had to replace the lock parts to avoid too big wear tolerances and THEN adjust everything correctly. Not many service men had Z1 door experience 😉

When I considered buying one, I checked the available lugguage space for 3 week trips to France/Italy etc. and preferred the much less refined Z3 which is still in the stable and so easy to service that its pure joy. A quick view in the sparepart price list said 650,-€ for an Z3 exhaust but 3.000,-€ for the Z1 exhaust which was also the downforce rear spoiler.

It was fun driving a Z1 with doors down but the overall drive performance wasn´t that good ten years after it´s production. Sure it is a VERY special and unique vehicle. Collectible.

vor 17 Stunden schrieb NigelG:

Keeping the "doors" theme.

Easy one from today (6 parked in 500m here - all grey!)

Also is that a 2018 Range Rover behind the i3? 😉

I'd say Porsche Cayenne or more likely Macan probably...;)

Edit - just checked and you're right! Lost track of the continual front grille/vent/fiddly bits changes.....at least they're not "copper coloured" like the Velar ones.

Edited by NigelG

I´m with Dominique here, maybe also the 2series convertible. BUT no clue which estate car in the reflection is (can´t see any door handles, maybe a Velar?)

The 2series is not a convertible and the real afficionados would use a very spesific name. The estate in the reflection is quite far from a Velar 😉.

Edited by AZach

Stuart, Tesla X is at least technologically and geographically even further from the target than Velar 🤔. Hope the next crop helps. Both pictured cars have dual exhausts system.

Edited by AZach

FIAT 500 Giardiniera (or it´s sibling from Steyr-Puch/Autobianchi etc.) Dual exhaust would mean Abarth or maybe the tuned Puch combi 700 E compressor 😉

(the 2series bimmer could either be an M235i/iX or 240i/iX - the wheels look like the ones used in the Performance Edition)