Name this car....

Still is.

I have dealt with the service department a lot during the rebuild of my 408 - a comparative “mass-production” (67 in 2 years vs only 52 for the 404 from 53-55)....all by hand obviously.

I had a good look at the prototype of the “Bullet” (and the original inspiration “special” they found under a cover at the old factory) but I’m not sure any of the purported 70 have actually been built (although I was told they had sold some......)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Taken at this summers owners meeting. 

This one of the same car taken with my M240P + 50 Summilux ASPH is on the front cover of the Bristol Owners magazine this quarter.....

• Like 2

Nigel, interesting reading. Would love to join a Bristol event over there.

When I first saw your riddle, I immediately thought of Bristol for many reasons, not only for the "BMW prewar design" rims in the side reflection BUT somehow I forgot the fins belong to the 403. Instead I was thinking of other cars. I excluded Great Britain to make sure there is no European car left to be guessed ;-))) Strange strategy that was. I knew I know the car. I love Bristols since a looong time, nethertheless their deep sinking after the early 1960s. As a long time big BMW 328 fan there is a certain relation which fascinates me at Bristol.

I think the earlier cars were better and prettier than the later Chrysler engined cars. I was going to buy a 410 or 411, when it was tax advantageous to buy older cars. The various folks I spoke to said that they were an electrical nightmare, so I bought a BMW M6 instead. I used to use one of their (originally  BMW designed) 2L straight six engines in a Frazer Nash Le Mans Mk1.5 race car. 172 BHP but over a very narrow rev range. Built by IN Racing. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Wilson,

the older ones are better for sure. The only modern ones which look good, are the modernized old "411 series 6" and the Bullet.

In 2018 they have just moved their service center and workshop to Windlesham (Surrey County). Small but much nicer than the old "factory" in Filton. Countryside, not that many "experts" of the aviation industry around, but these glory days had already gone long ago. Wondering if the new Bullet or the follow up will ever be electric/hybrid (it doesn´t look bad, a mix of older Bristol design elements like the 403 fins and a modern roadster version of the Volvo P 1800 Coupe). Curious how they will warm up the BMW relationship like announced and where they will build NEW cars.

• Like 1

Sorry guys, was abroad for the weekend. Here the next one.

Maybe now?

• Like 1