Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry for the delay, had to be back to my desktop pc. Here another dashboard as a starter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You nailed it, Michael. W 180 II

Grandfather had this one in white with red seats, so it was kind of a flashback. The Ponton still drives a bit like it´s predecessor W187 which he also had as a 220 B convertible.

The follow up W 111 250 SE cabrio was the more comfortable, more modern driving car. I remember family tours and that he forbid me playing with the Becker radio in the garage, because the electric antenna sucked battery - did that several times a day ;-)

p.s. Good eyes you have! I expected someone would say 220 Ponton but I would have asked if Cabriolet or Coupe (reflections of the sky on the dashboard).

• Like 1

I remember my father collecting me from school on a leave out week-end in his new W111 220 SEC in 62 (reg no DSE 909) and me showing off to the other boys, the electric aerial and windows. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wilson the Coupe also looks awesome. There is a twintone 220 SEC grey with perlwhite roof around, just lovely. Also electric aerial if I recall right.

The Ponton is more understatement and it is a bridge car between old "handmade" Mercedes and modern 1960s Mercedes.

I have long had a warm spot for Mercedes Benz. Mercedes makes hugely competent cars but they are not always beautiful. But the post war convertibles are all simply beautiful IMO. The highlight I think is the last 280SE with the lower grill and the 3.5 engine. One of the loveliest cars ever.

Some automotive journalist once said that it is possible that a list of the 10 best cars ever would all be by Mercedes Benz. Even I don’t believe that, but it is not a completely ludicrous statement. I have long personal experience with the W123 and W126 – they are impressive machines.

I open the next mystery car to someone else – my car archive is too thin to produce anything challenging.

Very good thread, what with so many good humoured experts.

Edited by Michael Hiles
  • Like 1

Let's try this one.  I've cloned out the marque and coachbuilder from the front wing/fender

1954, using a large Chrysler V8 with hemispherical combustion chambers and an automatic transmission.  Your turn

......and possibly rather small drum brakes.

I drove a Cunningham-Vignale C3 with its original 11" drums (?Mercury) a couple of years ago and its lack of brakes was a touch too exciting. This one had had the three speed semi-auto transmission uprated to a 4 speed and twin 4 barrel carburettors on an Offenhauser manifold (I did not realise they did after-market parts). It handled OK for a period car and was pretty quick but if I had been going to do those powertrain mods, I would have put on 4 wheel disc brakes and damn the originality. You don't want to be saying to yourself, as you disappear over a cliff edge: "Well at least I kept it original" 

Wilson

• Haha 1

Thank You Stuart

Name this car, which needs a good mechanic