Name this car....

vor 2 Stunden schrieb stuny:

I like to call that color Lamborgreenie

Personally I like "loud" colors at flat shaped sportscars. For security reasons!

This was taken on a test drive with now retired Lambo chief test driver Valentino Balboni (who tested the Miuras as a young guy) in his special edition only rear wheel drive Gallardo LP 550-2 "Valentino Balboni". We were on narrow and curved small back country roads and I felt much safer being somehow "visible" for the ladies in their SUVs with horse boxes on the hook.

Such colors (also yellow and orange) fit those Lambos very well. Maybe even better than grey, silver or boring black.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

This shot during our test drives on a race track in Spain. Superleggeras. Especially liked the yellow car which I took most.

This guy voted for a "riot of colors". Sponsor reasons for sure. Shot at the Macau Grand Prix.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, stuny said:

Somehow, Lambos are able to pull off their unuaual colors

Ou yes..

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This should be easy  -  maker, approximate year and the model, please.

JZG

1 hour ago, wlaidlaw said:

I think it may be a Nash-Healey, possibly a roadster with a hardtop. The vent in the rear wing is the give away. 

Wilson

You are absolutely correct, Wilson.....and it's the reason I chose that particular crop to introduce this car, thinking it would be a little easier to identify. This is a '54 Coupe, the last year they were manufactured, that a good friend of mine inherited from his father, let sit for a long time and then when his career allowed it, set about to restore it to the exact condition it was when he rode in it as a boy.

A lot of folks believe  that the Corvette is 'America's first production sports car' but actually the Nash-Healey preceeded it in 1950 as the first post-war two-seater 'sports car', and the first two-seater since before the great depression, initially with an in-house designed body, utilizing a stock Nash grill. Due to initial slow sales, Nash in '52 asked pininfarina to restyle the body, the point at which he incorporated those distinctive vents, prominently topping off the rear fenders with what essentially amounted to the first 'tail fins' on an American car, initiating a styling trend that gave rise to a lot of styling motiffs & endured for years to come. Unfortunately the Italian involvement also resulted in the price of the car almost doubling and limiting sales to a total of just over 500 units. A team of three car was entered at Le Mans and scored a class win.

Thanks for participating, your turn

JZG

Edited by John Z. Goriup
  • Like 5

Thanks John, I have never actually seen a Nash Healey in the flesh. In the UK we were "treated" to a rather more pedestrian car, the Nash Metropolitan 😂. I actually prefer the earlier Panelcraft body to the Pininfarina. The Panelcraft body is half way between an AC Ace and a Ferrari 166 Spider. I will have a look for a new car tomorrow. The Healey was originally destined to use a Cadillac V8 engine, which might have made it a lot more successful. The Nash Ambassador engine was very much choice #2. There was a rumour that Sidney Allard may have been involved in that being blocked, given that he was using the Cadillac engines in his J2 Allards. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Thanks for that choice of Mystery Car, John. I knew about the car through having seen many pictures over the years but having read both your summary and the extra info added by Wilson I realised I knew nothing whatsoever about the cars themselves and so have just had a look through the Wiki entry. Fascinating story!

Philip.

Here is the next one. I don't think this one will tax the team a great deal, so I am looking for the full marque, model name, model number and approximate manufacturing date. 

Wilson

444 L (Jan. ´57 - Aug ´58) B16A single carb in Europe and B16B option with dual carb in the US.

There should be an even more specific model name, so may Pippy complete, his turn anyway I guess.

The swedish customers didn´t like that they couldn´t buy the more powerful engines like outside Sweden. The reason was an US import tax law. Import tax was measured by the most powerful engine you could buy in the makers country. Hence in Sweden no B16B sport engine with dual carburettor.

1 hour ago, stuny said:

I was thinking 122S, mid '60s

Philip has already named the model but got the period wrong. As it was such an easy one, I am looking for the whole model name and both main numerical designation plus the subsidiary letters and numbers (can be one of two and as you can't measure the engine size, I will accept either. My father had both a 4 door 122S and then a Ruddspeed two door version. Their main issue was that they were too low geared.

Wilson

In the 1990s I considered to switch my small classic car fleet from VW to Volvo. I would have replaced the Beetles by the PV544 and the Type 3 1600 by an Amazon.

I found a guy who would have taken my oldest Beetle and give me his Amazon for it. But I couldn´t find a proper (payable) 544, so that switch never happened. Anyway I still love classic Volvos and still think a PV would be nice to have as a family classic car. Maybe even an "ugly" Duett estate which offers SO MUCH space.

• Like 1