Sony NEX as a Leica M8 alternative

Erik_A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A short preview with comments regarding the usability of the camera's menu and control interface has been posted at Luminous Landscape.

The comments regarding user interface really put me off (next to the awkward design).

But then, I really prefer, to operate a camera and not a credit card sized LCD display with lens mount.

Technically, Sony has introduced an interesting system regarding their new lens mount and promising future compatibility with video, still cameras and adaptable camera systems.

But a contender as a M8 alternative? Certainly not.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Chris M
A short preview with comments regarding the usability of the camera's menu and control interface has been posted at Luminous Landscape.

The comments regarding user interface really put me off (next to the awkward design).

But then, I really prefer, to operate a camera and not a credit card sized LCD display with lens mount.

Technically, Sony has introduced an interesting system regarding their new lens mount and promising future compatibility with video, still cameras and adaptable camera systems.

A contender certainly not in regards to usability, however we might be all quite pleasingly surprised by this little digi cam, (only in regards to its final print out put quality)?, the jury is still out though, until some real photographers can get there hands on this and run it through its (real life paces)thats all that matters for me, I am not a production shooter, just a life long ammeter photographer, hobbyist. Looking for the best image possible.

chris m.

No by sure... a possible interesting complement, expecially for people that, like me, have some long teles : to have such a tiny "digital back" to attach at the end of a Telyt 200-280-400-560, (even on tripod) is someway intriguing.... with the APS crop 400 is 600 FF... it remembers me, in a certain sense, the adapter for P&S listed for Televids... "static" situations in which who cares of an odd menu structure,when you have the advantage of a format much bigger than P&S...

Edited by luigi bertolotti

+1

the only small camera alternative I have seen and used so far is the Ricoh GXR with the 50mm APS-C module. Excellent image quality, superb prime lens and a control layout and grip/handling that puts some smaller DSLRs to shame.

A contender certainly not in regards to usability, however we might be all quite pleasingly surprised by this little digi cam, (only in regards to its final print out put quality)?, the jury is still out though, until some real photographers can get there hands on this and run it through its (real life paces)thats all that matters for me, I am not a production shooter, just a life long ammeter photographer, hobbyist. Looking for the best image possible.

chris m.

The Nex cameras are very intriguing but the menu system and control interface looks like a real turn off for a serious enthusiast or a pro. (I'd have to spend time with it to see if I could stand it.) There is nothing stopping Sony from re-writing the firmware. A good photographer certainly will be able to make excellent photos with it but how frustrating will it be to try to change setting or use some of the features quickly?

My guess is there will be more of a "pro" version with a clip on EVF before too long. I'll wait.

Edited by AlanG

Guest Chris M
The Nex cameras are very intriguing but the menu system and control interface looks like a real turn off for a serious enthusiast or a pro. (I'd have to spend time with it to see if I could stand it.) There is nothing stopping Sony from re-writing the firmware. A good photographer certainly will be able to make excellent photos with it but how frustrating will it be to try to change setting or use some of the features quickly?

My guess is there will be more of a "pro" version with a clip on EVF before too long. I'll wait.

I for one don't mind quirkyness, I'm actually liking what I see, and can't wait for Ritz Camera too fill my order. I'm older now and have learned to pic and choose photography styles too suit my needs, wether they be complex or simple. I do both with a passion for perfection, nothing less.:)

chris m.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't have an m8 but I don't even consider the nex to be an alternative to mft cams at this point. They are clearly aimed at the pas crowd, not enthusiasts or pros. The ui and egonomics are enough to put me off..though that may change with the nex 7. The samples I have seen are noticeably less sharp than even the oly epl1, with lacking contrast.

I can see some supplementing a dslr or rangefinder with a nex and the prime..but not much beyond that. I liked the comment about credit card LCD/lens mount..the lenses are still so big, I'm not sure they hit the nail on the head for anyone who isnt shooting a pas at this point.

When David Pogue proclaims it the next best thing, I know for sure it's not for me. Though I am not sure he has done so yet.

That's my idea too... Sony (often) is smart in marketing... : they already offer 2 versions, both with a rather agressive pricing... if the first reaction in the market is good, there is wide room to maneuver a higher priced (but still reasonable - under the SLR level) version with some pluses both in hardware (like the EVF - and better lenses) and Software (a more "pro" user interface); and then... still room for another step into the FF sensor area...

Edited by luigi bertolotti

That's my idea too... Sony (often) is smart in marketing... : they already offer 2 versions, both with a rather agressive pricing... if the first reaction in the market is good, there is wide room to maneuver a higher priced (but still reasonable - under the SLR level) version with some pluses both in hardware (like the EVF - and better lenses) and Software (a more "pro" user interface); and then... still room for another step into the FF sensor area...

I think that is absolutely correct. Sony is targeting the large market where it never crosses the users minds to compose a picture on anything other than on an LCD. Once the Nex is established in the market, a somewhat higher end camera would be pretty easy to add.

Guest Chris M
I think that is absolutely correct. Sony is targeting the large market where it never crosses the users minds to compose a picture on anything other than on an LCD. Once the Nex is established in the market, a somewhat higher end camera would be pretty easy to add.

My take on it is easy, fore me I like the (spec's) of the camera NEX 5, its definitely on the level of (all) of the 4/3 rd's cams out there now, with only one exception, and that is the (unnatural flow) of menu's and camera controls ect. thats it. no more no less, however, the 14MB cmos sensor and the cameras ability to shoot the panorama 3D and the HD cam stuff, and the NEW lens in the pipeline that are coming from Sony make this a pretty neat deal. I am partial to Sony prosumer (video cam's), and have never yet owned a sony digi cam such as this or anything else. But I did order this with the 16mm prime and the 18-200mm zoom. I will be testing it in all that it has too offer, although I'll have to wait untill July, when it is exspected to be released here in the USA. I'm sure looking forward to it!:)

chris m.

My take on it is easy, fore me I like the (spec's) of the camera NEX 5, its definitely on the level of (all) of the 4/3 rd's cams out there now, with only one exception, and that is the (unnatural flow) of menu's and camera controls ect. thats it. no more no less, however, the 14MB cmos sensor and the cameras ability to shoot the panorama 3D and the HD cam stuff, and the NEW lens in the pipeline that are coming from Sony make this a pretty neat deal. I am partial to Sony prosumer (video cam's), and have never yet owned a sony digi cam such as this or anything else. But I did order this with the 16mm prime and the 18-200mm zoom. I will be testing it in all that it has too offer, although I'll have to wait untill July, when it is exspected to be released here in the USA. I'm sure looking forward to it!:)

chris m.

Good luck and I'll check into them when I can handle one. It does look intriguing. Especially all the features you mentioned... and more. But the clip on EVF on the Olympus is quite a nice feature and I'd at least like to see something like that for the Sony

• 1 month later...

I recieved the NEX 5 with the two lens kit (16mm, 18-55) two days ago. I own a M8.2 and I thought the NEX would be an excellent compact second camera for those instances where i want to use autofocus, high ISO,fast panoramic shots and even a few seconds video when I need it. Also, it's nice to have the oppotunity to use my Leica lenses on the NEX.

Although I dont have any comparison shots to post yet, I can easily say that the NEX is NOT a M8 killer. It's high ISO perfomance is indeed great and it helps on getting shots on low light where the M8 many times struggles (I dont own f1.4 lenses), but the image quality of the M8 is clearly superior (after all you can't really compare the Leica lenses with the Sony kit lenses, I am really curious to see how the Leica lenses perform on the NEX as soon as the adapter is available).

The lack of an electronic viewfinder is very annoying for me, and also the menu is a pain to use, but as I stated earlier, it's a great camera to accompany my M8 and for that use I am very satisfied.

I was rediculing the camera when I just read about it. I had chance to actually play with it during a show in local dealer. Sony rep actually spend quite a bit of time with me and my wife about showing off all the stuff. Even though I think it is most unbalance body lens combination, I decided I will get one for my wife as soon as it is available here in US.

Even though I don't care for the look, they really good job of taking everything out of photographer and letting you focus on taking photograph.

We will get the adapter for Minolta lenses as well since we own whole bunch of Minolta lenses.

Hi Steve,

I like good high iso performance too.

But I don't think that ISO 400 with a 1.4 lux at 1/30th does it in candlelight situations, if you want the whole frame illuminated.

Check out these, they were all at ISO 2500 with the M8 at 1.4 with 35 lux, and often hand held or braced at much slower than 1/30th:

campbell house, 35 lux 1.4, iso 2500 bw - matsumura's Photos

Too understand my statement that high iso performance is overrated have a look at the exposure guide within following file:

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/shared/bin/ProfessionalFilmDataGuide.pdf

M cameras are operated with wide angle, normal lens and short tele lenses only. This and the missing mirror allows for handheld shooting at quite low shutter speeds. According to the exposure almost all situations can be shot with ISO 400. Candle lit scenes -which I consider as low light photography- require 1/30sec @f2. From my own experience I can confirm that you will easily get sharp images with lenses like summicron 28 or summilux 50 at that speed.

Good high iso performance is of advantage if you are using long telelenses with a wide open aperture of 2.8 "only" and when you require shutter speeds below 1/200sec to handheld and stop action. That is why it is much more important for DSLRs.

Regards

Steve