Sony NEX as a Leica M8 alternative

Erik_A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am thinking about a new wide-angle take everywhere camera and was considering an M8. I read that the Sony NEX-3 and NEX-5 will be announced on May 11th

Almost official--Sony's mirrorless system to be named NEX - Digital Cameras - Crave - CNET Asia

Do you think that this will be a decent alternative to the M8 with 21mm 2.8

The Sony has a 1.5x APS-C 14 megapixel ExmorHD sensor

Sony gives NEX3 and NEX5 names to its first ultra-compact interchangeable lens cameras -- Engadget

The 16mm F2.8 IS pancake lens will have a 24mm equivalent FOV.

I am thinking that for much less money I could get a decent wide-angle solution with much higher image quality than the M8 in a smaller size but with similar background blur as the M8 w/ 21mm. Any thoughts.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An APS-C 16mm has approx. the same DoF as an APS-H 17mm or a FF 20mm lens. Those new Sonys should compete with the Samsung nx10 if they have an electronic viewfinder as expected. No rangefinder though apparently.

Edited by lct

The M system is much more versatil. If you fall in love with the rangefinder you can add a film camera for little money or upgrade to full frame later- all with the same great lenses. Further it offers a huge variety of lenses - new and very old ones.

Regards

Steve

Edited by Steve Ash

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Every camera you look at will be an alternative to the M8 ! All of those cameras take pictures... some better, some worse. It's about your style and your philosophy when it comes to taking pictures. The camera is your tool, your third eye so buy and use what compliments your creativity and don't look for alternatives . Every year , we have new alternatives ... don't you think it's more important to get a camera you can use for years , learn how to use it and then work it ? Get the M8, some decent lenses and have fun ... !

I agree I love Leica, however I don't really want my street camera to cost more than my car and (with the M8) have worse high ISO performance than a $500 camera. The crop factor 1.3 vs 1.5x is similar. The Sony sensor should be one of the best high ISO APS sensors on the market.

I agree I love Leica, however I don't really want my street camera to cost more than my car and (with the M8) have worse high ISO performance than a $500 camera. The crop factor 1.3 vs 1.5x is similar. The Sony sensor should be one of the best high ISO APS sensors on the market.

This is all fine, but why are you posting it on the Leica forum?!!!

BTW, you likely to find Leica M users with with multiply systems (I, for once, have a full Canon systems with some of the best L lenses, a few p&s, various options to use when I need the very high iso...) but still, most of us are here because we end up using our Leicas. the existence of other, newer cameras is not a secret that is hidden from Leica users. And by all means- you are very welcome NOT to join the leica M club ; >)

ps. did you see an illustration of the difference between crop 1.5 and 1.3? it is very far from being 'similar' and the effect on depth of field is far from negligible.

The need for high iso is highly overrated.

Steve--I respectfully disagree. Clean high ISO (something higher than 320) is my tipping point. They can add whatever features they want to the future Ms, but I'm not buying a new M until it can shoot an ISO 1250 that looks and behaves like today's 160. Full-frame? Eh, OK. 17MP. Eh, OK. No cut filters? Eh, OK. Etc. and etc. I'm willing to wait and will be a while. Yes, I can push in post. I'd rather get it in camera.

But maybe I'm misreading your comment--to what are you reacting?

Thanks,

Will

This is all fine, but why are you posting it on the Leica forum?!!!

ps. did you see an illustration of the difference between crop 1.5 and 1.3? it is very far from being 'similar' and the effect on depth of field is far from negligible.

I guess I am trying to convince myself that it is still a good idea to buy a used M8 that I have my eye on. No - do you have a link to n illustration of the difference between crop 1.5 and 1.3?

I guess I am trying to convince myself that it is still a good idea to buy a used M8 that I have my eye on. No - do you have a link to n illustration of the difference between crop 1.5 and 1.3?

Here's one:

DPanswers: Crop factor

Let me tell you a secret: if you are into rangefinder photography, get the M8. Nothing else would not make you enjoy shooting as much (Again, unless you are looking for auto-everything etc).

... We're expecting something like that from Panasonic and/or PanaLeica. ...

Not only 'expecting' but "hoping for." :)

BTW, Erik, thanks for the thread. First I'd heard of the NEX (another dumb name like α, IMHO). I'm glad for the heads-up.

Why not if i may ask? People like me are interested in compact cameras like those Sonys. We're expecting something like that from Panasonic and/or PanaLeica.

4512379877_f749d957fa.jpg

Source: US Patent Application Publication

My point was simple (and was fully answered by the original poster- in saying that he is hesitating whether to buy Leica). If a non-Leica user posts on the Leica forum a post rationalizing why he is going to buy a non-Leica camera over a Leica camera- that is quit irrelevant to the Leica forum. As I answered- not only that many of us are interested in such cameras- many of us actually end up buying them... THAT was not my aim to deny...