To crop or not to crop.....

57andrew

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... its up to your eye, not your computer, to see them!

Which is precisely what I am saying. If you _see_ the subject as not being in a strict 3x2 ratio why force yourself into using that format? If you do force yourself to use the 3x2 format - even though it may not be suitable - the photograph to being dictated by the camera you happen to be using rather than the composition itself.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Clearly your vision is constrained. You let your tool dictate your output. You have my sympathy.

Regards,

Bill

According to your wise comment, I see you are the kind to fix a car with a hammer: without constrains.

You have my sympathy.

Which is precisely what I am saying. If you _see_ the subject as not being in a strict 3x2 ratio why force yourself into using that format? If you do force yourself to use the 3x2 format - even though it may not be suitable - the photograph to being dictated by the camera you happen to be using rather than the composition itself.

At the moment of taking the photograph the format is dictated by the camera used.

Jeff

Your vision should match your tool

I'll readily concede that there might be artists who measure the value of their work by extrinsic qualities. Subordinating the vision to the arbitrary formats their apparatus is capable of producing is obviously the example under discussion in this thread. To some, this is akin to writing a novel without the fiifth letter of the alphabet.

But then, it would be a rather poor world where all artists were alike in that respect. Famous painters have been known to erase or overpaint parts of their paintings. Why should artists who post process their works be lesser artists than those who don't? Is an artist whose work requires fewer steps for its completion the lesser or the greater artist?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

According to your wise comment, I see you are the kind to fix a car with a hammer: without constrains.

Surprised you are still posting to this thread, Ned, given that your stance on the matter was roundly discredited some pages ago by Azzo.

What would you have him do when the object was to fix a car? Change the problem in order to suit the only tool you're willing to wield?

Seems increasingly like little-enders vs. big-enders here.

Surprised you are still posting to this thread, Ned, given that your stance on the matter was roundly discredited some pages ago by Azzo.

Discredited? By who? Oh yes, the cropped image that I posted, the one at the end of a roll of film that was exposed In half? The one that represents 0.01% of my work? You're talking about that funny "discreditation"?

I am sorry but what azzo has to say or to show is of very little value to me.

What would you have him do when the object was to fix a car? Change the problem in order to suit the only tool you're willing to wield?

Seems increasingly like little-enders vs. big-enders here.

Philipp, thank you. I now have an image of Ned wandering endlessly with a screwdriver looking for something to screw up... :D

Regards,

Bill

Abraham Kaplan's, in 1964:[2] "I call it the law of the instrument, and it may be formulated as follows: Give a small boy a hammer, and he will find that everything he encounters needs pounding."

Also see: Maslow, hammer

Excuses, excuses... Never mind, eh?

Now, where were we?

You and azzo know more about me and my work then my own self. Or so you believe. And all your arguments supporting what you "know", about me, and serving it against me, besides being particularly pathetic, is , I have to admit, entertaining.

Where we're you, you ask? On that little soap box, right over there, on that little hill.

:rolleyes: " I am sorry but what azzo has to say or to show is of very little value to me.

"

@ NB32 - The very least you can do is to crop it right or do nothing !!!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

. . . cheers

Discredited? By who?

I am sorry but what azzo has to say or to show is of very little value to me.

@ NB32 - On the contrary to you, what you say is of great importance to me, especially when you 'pounce' on other members !

@ NB32 - On the contrary to you, I value the members here !