Sign in to follow this  
notthefly

Leica X1 and old Geezer with Glasses

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

I have glasses and am getting older and older. I cannot read the small print anymore. And I always have to take off my glasses nowadays to look at the display of my little V-Lux-10.

I want to upgrade to an X1, played with it in Leica Store Berlin. (Was impressed by it's preciseness of focusing when using 1 point focus BTW.)

But what do "older" users say about use of the viewfinder on X1. I used the viefinder and found it OK because then I do not have to take off glasses when shooting.

(and yes I know that I have to buy multifocal glasses, let us not discuss that)

So what do the "grey leica panthers" advize ?

I enjoyed your post and believe me, I know whereof you speak.

I too am dominantly far-sighted (thanks to recent lens implants--for which I have just exactly NO regrets) and I am certifiably an old Geezer with glasses.

I bought my X1 on 26 Febr (USA) and on 22 March I started a thread on this forum under the title of "availability of Brightline viewfinder." I mention this not because I think my prose is for the ages, but because the thread developed a number of alternative viewfinders that could be used in place of the Leica product. For me I have gone on cheerfully snapping many more pictures as I get more familiar with the camera. Suffice it to say, I am getting impatient at still no viewfinder, but I am learning a lot about this camera which I can now say that I like very much. And yes, I did make the right decision in buying the first X1 that I saw. And after very carefully weighing the alternative viewfinders, I have decided to sit tight and wait for the purpose-made Leica product to arrive.

I hope this helps. It is annoying that Leica apparently thought that few if any would notice when in reality that viewfinder is a major feature that raises this camera well above the point and shoot crowd.

I have no difficulty framing an X1 picture using the Leica viewfinder and find it virtually essential. That has nothing to do with age, but with well reported difficulties with any compact camera relying entirely on inbuilt LCD screen for framing. If you anticipate the X1 being in regular use for some time to come, do seriously consider getting the VF. Costly I know, but essential to regular shooting. By the way I do wear spectacles and cope with the distant correction; no problems at all. It is a beautifully illuminated viewing experience and my success rate has soared.

Happy Friday !

I am definitely a geezer. I see 20/20 beyond about 10 feet but poorly close in. This is the result of cataract surgery on both eyes.

I have had the M8 for a few months and last week was lucky enough to buy an X1.

My solution to the reading glasses and the LCD dilemma has been painless. Use Auto Focus, Aperture Priority, and a Voigtlander 35 mm Viewfinder. I use no reading glasses !

I simply frame my shot in the viewfinder, press the shutter half way, when the

little " green ready light " flashes, I take the shot. The little " green ready light" is very visible in the corner of my eye, even though I am using the view finder. Another solution for speed is to Zone focus with the manual focus, and just shoot.

Good Luck ! BTW, I LOVE this little camera !

Best Wishes !

Are you really talking about a viewfinder: I suggest such an add-on optic is not going to affect your vision, give that you will be looking through a piece of clear glass.

Do you mean there's an issue looking at the LCD screen? Rubbish.

I can say, as someone in the top 1% for myopia, I can't see the bloody camera at all !. No, seriously, I can't find the camera without my glasses.

Once the specs are in place, there is no issue with the X1. Working with the LCD is no problem, even with the post-age-40 long sight. And when you have myopia plus long sightedness, believe me, I can answer your question.

As for a rangefinder like the M8 that I use alongside the X1, yes, eyesight may become an issue one day but so far there's no problem.

These cameras are much easier to use than staring down the tunnel of a sub-full-frame DSLR viewfinder.

Mark

http://moneycircus.blogspot.com/2010/02/leica-x1.html

Hi

I meant not having to take off my glasses to look at the display but using the viewfinder, with glasses on, to take a picture.

BTW: Why should I talk rubbish? I have always learned that there are no "stupid"questions.