Zeiss ZM Biogon-C 4.5/21 on Leica M8

Ivar B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone have any experience with the Zeiss 4.5/21 on Leica M8? I know that this lens does not work well with the M9, as its optical construction is such that the rear lens element comes even closer to the sensor than is the case with other Zeiss or Leica lenses and the sensor cannot handle it.

Does anyone have any experience with the Zeiss 4.5/21 on Leica M8? I know that this lens does not work well with the M9, as its optical construction is such that the rear lens element comes even closer to the sensor than is the case with other Zeiss or Leica lenses and the sensor cannot handle it.

I have the 2.8 21mm lens and it is a gem. If you are about to buy the Zeiss 21mm then do the 2.8. The price point difference is not so bad that one could not justify buying the 2.8. It works well on my 8.2 and have read many times it is fine on the M9.

Lee

I agree with Lee. I use the Zeiss 21mm 2.8 on M8u & fairly often have occasion to use it wide open. The price jump from f4 to 2.8 is smaller than you'd expect.

Some folks (like me) have shied away from Zeiss lenses because of their strong contrast. But the 21 2.8 seems different – it's not so contrasty.

Kirk

Zeiss 4.5/21 work best on M8. Well balance, light and small, smooth focus, no distortion. Contrast is a bit high. One of the sharpest lens for M8 even at widest f4.5. No color cast at the edge on M8 unlike M9.