Thomas Edison's Laboratory II

iShutterbug

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thomas Edison's Ft. Myers, Florida chemical and biological laboratory where he tried to synthesize or find a natural source of rubber into the early 1900's. Leica IIIf, Summaron 35/3.5, Kodak Portra 160NC, 1/5 sec @ f/11, drugstore develop and scan to CD. This picture taken 13 April 2010. Nik Dfine to reduce noise/grain, Viveza to bring out from shadows blue bottle on the left, light Sharpener Pro, finally Topaz Adjust for another look and more latitude. This is still not the greatest vantage point--a jumble of vials and test tubes--but best I could do under the crowded, hurried circumstances, we are all behind a rope barrier. (Everybody around me stopped, held still and held their breath while I hunkered down and took the shot, I must've had that steely look in my eyes...think I should've gone to f/16 because this is zone focus...I've had good luck with slow shutter speeds and these focal-plane shutters so I'm not afraid to go down that low. My lowest acceptable shutter speed with ff dslr is 1/500.)

[ATTACH]198400[/ATTACH]

Edited by iShutterbug

another interesting lab shot . . . place looks deserted, not crowded! . . . actually did not realize that Edison did chemical work . . thought it was all electro-mechanical.

BTW . . . you have inspired me to load (slide) film in my 111f today . . . it's raining and gloomy, but i am determined . . . testing the camera to see if i send it out for CLA'ing to your buddy Don Goldberg.

another interesting lab shot . . . place looks deserted, not crowded! . . . actually did not realize that Edison did chemical work . . thought it was all electro-mechanical.

BTW . . . you have inspired me to load (slide) film in my 111f today . . . it's raining and gloomy, but i am determined . . . testing the camera to see if i send it out for CLA'ing to your buddy Don Goldberg.

Dave, I agree with you, that was what I was expecting, I didn't know about the chem/bio side either, glad I went. Didn't know anything about his personal side, either.

Yeah, I really look my age when I sling my LTM and exposure meter over my shoulder. But we can still perform. I think today's digitizing and all those new software Photoshop and Lightroom filters are the nth degree for creativity. I've read about it a lot but for the first time I'm actually personally experiencing some of the fantastic things that can be done with them. It isn't like the photojournalistic/advertising realistic photos I grew up doing--it seems so artistic and I like it for a change. So don't worry about the rain and gloom--you can change it when you get home!

BTW, I've been wondering, don't those things in your neck curb your appetite? :)

Don

Dave's avatar should be lurking in the background.....

This is a fine shot of this lab, and I rather like the clutter in the center. 1/5th sec? Very well done, not even considering that exposure time. You are steady!

Larry

Dave's avatar should be lurking in the background.....

This is a fine shot of this lab, and I rather like the clutter in the center. 1/5th sec? Very well done, not even considering that exposure time. You are steady!

Larry

Thank you, Larry--good one about Dave's avatar. :)

This is the sharpest/steadiest of the four I shot in that darkish lab. I take a relatively deep breath and shoot as I slowly exhale, holding the camera very tightly. That IIIf was CLAd by DAG a year ago and I have total confidence in the accuracy of the slow shutter speeds.

Don

Edited by iShutterbug