Line Artifact in M9

MvMaltese

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure if this has been covered here, but just got the M9 last night. In doing sample shots I noticed that a short little vertical line appears near center (see second photo) of image when zoomed in at 100%.

I first thought this was a pixel problem but then it goes away with different shots of same framing. Then comes back. Regardless of SD card or camera setting... almost random. Latest firmware.

Thoughts? Should I return camera for exchange? Thanks.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by MvMaltese
clarification

Michael--it looks like you've decided to send in the M9 according to your blog. I guess I would have, too, if that line kept showing up. In one of my early images I noticed some purple pixels, but it has never returned, so I think I am OK.

Hope you get your camera and 35 cron back soon!

What SD card are you using? Also, have you checked the sensor for dust?

I'd follow some simple process of elimination tests before sending the camera back.

1/ check the sensor for dust (REALLY sensible to have a sensor loupe for this, but a bright light and a magnifying glass are fairly effective). If there's dust, at the least use a Rocket blower to clear it, or (better) DRY clean it with Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly. If there's any oil spot, the consensus on the forum seems to be to use Eclipse + Full size swabs. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!

2/ check that your card is compatible with the M9 (see the FAQ on the Leica site). If yes, then format it IN camera.

If the problem's still there, then certainly contact your dealer.

Hope this helps.

Thanks all. I am sending into Leica NJ this week as I registered it after I THOUGHT I discovered the problem (SD card). But alas, the problem came back.

Yes, tried a whole battery of tests with cards, settings, sensor cleaning via Arctic Butterfly and puffer. Oh well. Back in the box is goes.

On a positive note, the resolution (aside from line) is astounding!

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by MvMaltese
clarification

If there's any oil spot, the consensus on the forum seems to be to use Eclipse + Full size swabs.

Chris--I know you fortunately haven't experienced oil (if that's what some of us are seeing!) on the sensor, but I'm not sure the consensus is use of the full size swab--my earlier post on the cleaning thread addressed the possibility that full-width swabs actually exacerbate the oil (or mystery substance) problem. I finally cured my issues with the narrower swabs.

Kip

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What SD card are you using? Also, have you checked the sensor for dust?

I'd follow some simple process of elimination tests before sending the camera back.

1/ check the sensor for dust (REALLY sensible to have a sensor loupe for this, but a bright light and a magnifying glass are fairly effective). If there's dust, at the least use a Rocket blower to clear it, or (better) DRY clean it with Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly. If there's any oil spot, the consensus on the forum seems to be to use Eclipse + Full size swabs. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!

2/ check that your card is compatible with the M9 (see the FAQ on the Leica site). If yes, then format it IN camera.

If the problem's still there, then certainly contact your dealer.

Hope this helps.

I would advise NOT using a full-size swab; they tend to pull oil and dust from the well around the edges onto the sensor. A 1.33 or 1.5 size swab works better in my experience.

I would advise NOT using a full-size swab; they tend to pull oil and dust from the well around the edges onto the sensor. A 1.33 or 1.5 size swab works better in my experience.

Just curious...I use Type 1 swabs as recommended by Photographic Solutions for my M8.2. These are 20mm swabs. While I don't own an M9, I notice that they recommend Type 3 swabs for it, and these are 24 mm wide.

Do you use the same sized swabs for all your digital M's? Good for me to know when I eventually pick up a full frame version. I assumed the wider version was required to get the entire sensor with two strokes...back and forth.

Jeff

Chris--I know you fortunately haven't experienced oil (if that's what some of us are seeing!) on the sensor, but I'm not sure the consensus is use of the full size swab--my earlier post on the cleaning thread addressed the possibility that full-width swabs actually exacerbate the oil (or mystery substance) problem. I finally cured my issues with the narrower swabs.

Kip

Kip - sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick on this one!

Thanks for the clarification - as someone who's only ever used one of the little swabs that Visible Dust provide when I had to clean a smear on a Canon 20D sensor, I'm not an authority.

Best

Just curious...I use Type 1 swabs as recommended by Photographic Solutions for my M8.2. These are 20mm swabs. While I don't own an M9, I notice that they recommend Type 3 swabs for it, and these are 24 mm wide.

Do you use the same sized swabs for all your digital M's? Good for me to know when I eventually pick up a full frame version. I assumed the wider version was required to get the entire sensor with two strokes...back and forth.

Jeff

I use a number of tools not generally available, like laboratory-grade q-tips and microbrushes. But "on the road" I will use swabs one size down. I use the Giotto Rocket Blower to blow all potentially harmful grit of the sensor and I don't regard the rule of " one stroke and throw away" I will use a swab for a couple of passes. But then, I am lucky enough to be able to inspect the sensor under a microscope.

I'll second this. Very successful with the smaller swabs.

Jeff

I use a number of tools not generally available, like laboratory-grade q-tips and microbrushes. But "on the road" I will use swabs one size down. I use the Giotto Rocket Blower to blow all potentially harmful grit of the sensor and I don't regard the rule of " one stroke and throw away" I will use a swab for a couple of passes. But then, I am lucky enough to be able to inspect the sensor under a microscope.

This is actually a good recommendation. I find that the Giottos will often blow some additional fine bits of dust onto the sensor, but its very good for getting the coarse grit off before you start swabbing away. For the swabs I use a small plastic spatula and I wrap it with PEC pads and use Eclipse. Works great. I tape the swab up all the way down almost to the tip so it doesn't leave bits of fiber or dust in the camera or pull anything in from the edges of the camera.

Like you, I also do a couple swabs with one. I typically find that it takes two runs to really get it clean. I have a binocular microscope, but I've never used it. I'm going to have to do that next time!

Jeff

This is actually a good recommendation. I find that the Giottos will often blow some additional fine bits of dust onto the sensor, but its very good for getting the coarse grit off before you start swabbing away...............

When I bought a new rocket type blower I had that problem. Suspected the rubber bulb contained foreign particles, perhaps mold release agent. I cured the problem by washing the inside of the bulb with water to which a few drops of washing up liquid had been added. Since then I've bought two more blowers, washed them and not had a problem. Just make sure the inside is throughly dry before use.

Bob.

Thanks. I've followed the posts discussing William's and your impressive inspection equipment, but didn't know about the lowly swab aspects.:)

I also always use a rocket blower first. Nothing else usually needed.

Jeff

When I bought a new rocket type blower I had that problem. Suspected the rubber bulb contained foreign particles, perhaps mold release agent. I cured the problem by washing the inside of the bulb with water to which a few drops of washing up liquid had been added. Since then I've bought two more blowers, washed them and not had a problem. Just make sure the inside is throughly dry before use.

Bob.

Ahh, good idea. I shall have to do that. Thanks!

Jeff

Kip - sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick on this one!

Thanks for the clarification - as someone who's only ever used one of the little swabs that Visible Dust provide when I had to clean a smear on a Canon 20D sensor, I'm not an authority.

Best

No apology needed, and one thing is for sure--you are an amazing photographer! I will strive over the ensuing years to improve my images with my M9, and you serve as an inspiration.

Take care--

Kip

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you...I sent my camera into Leica New Jersey and they replaced the sensor chip. Seems to work well now, although I see (especially in very dark images – faster ISO) what looks like a single RED pixel blob, in the same place on all photos (at 50-100% in viewfinder). But when I open in CO5 or Lightroom, it rasterizes itself out in final image, like a noise removal. Otherwise, camera seems to be fine after warranty repair. M