Sign in to follow this  
docophoto

Help! Faulty M6 light meter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I hope that you can give me some advice.

My Leica M6 classic's light meter is playing up. It is intermittently working.

I've put in fresh lithium batts. and when the meter does come up into view it is much brighter than previously, if it is showing at all.

Is this a connection issue or a problem with the light meter itself. Is there anything that I can try to remedy the problem?

Cheers

If you have an early M6 then the light meter does not show anything if there´s a lot of underexposure. There was an article on cameraquest iirc about early and late M6 differences. Hope that helps

If you have an early M6 then the light meter does not show anything if there´s a lot of underexposure. There was an article on cameraquest iirc about early and late M6 differences. Hope that helps

The old battery was probably on last legs if the brightness changes, and the early M6 only show the LEDs when the exposure setting on lens and shutter speed is almost correct, and the lens cap is off.

Try removing the battery and cleaning the cameras contacts with a soft cloth (like tshirt) and open the back and wipe the gold contacts there carefully - same material. If the contacts have been damaged by battery corrosion then they may need to be replaced if the soft cloth does not work. Abrading them with eraser on end of pencil, is counter productive.

Noel

If you have cleaned every thing and swept the shutter speed setting and the speed selector on the back through all the speeds, etc. and it is still intermittent, then

- fine a nice person with a M6 and swap back or

- sent to leica technician

swapping back allows you to localise the fault, and you might get replacement back cheap on e-bay, if you were very lucky, or save money on repair.

Some cameras need bits of the meter replaced, especially early M6s...

Noel

You can effectively lose your lightmeter on any of those old circuited cameras. Sometimes its jsut a corroded screw or wire or something loose, that a service and clean will remedy, sometimes its the meter itself on the way out. Unless you have an electronics background or service the things theres not much you can do other than clean the contacts and shove in a new battery.

All those old front compartment battery and circuit designs seem to do it. My R6.2 went the way you describe, and you can throw a new battery in the thing and it will drain it in about thirty seconds. The meter is gone completely in less than two minutes.

My MP in inclement conditions will chew through batteries, and I might get a day, three days out of a set. In fine conditions then the battery lasts for ages.

The R9 with its protected compartment larger battery and electronic circuitry that has at least come into the twentieth century gets about twice the battery life mentioned in the manual.

The short answer is send it to someone reliable and pray its something minor in the wiring.

Rgds

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By S.L.Dixon
      Hi,
      I have had a M6 (serial number is in the 1665000 range) for about 7 years now and to be honest, haven't used it a lot in the last few years, but fired it up again recently and noticed that I think the light meter is functioning odd. In the past, I could press the shutter button when the film wasn't wound on and the light meter would activate, briefly, and then I could set the exposure. Now it doesn't do that, but when I wind film on, it will activate the light meter and not turn off until a photo is taken.
      I ran a roll of film through and it works fine - i.e the exposures were fine - it just seems to activate differently that it used to. Is this a common thing anyone knows about?
      I live in Melbourne, Australia and it's tough to get a repairer here who will look at an M6.  Any advice would be REALLY helpful. 
      Thanks in advance!
      Scott
      (Also, I added a photo of my camera just 'cause it's a nice looking thing.)

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Maien_
      Hello there!
      I feel like something is wrong with my Leica M6, but I can't confirm as it's my very first Leica (and I LOVE it).
      When it is 'powered' (fresh new batteries and not on Bulb mode), if I press the shutter half-way or even all-the-way, I don't get any reading in the viewfinder.
      The light meter is powered on and giving me a reading only when the wind lever has been pulled completely and the camera is ready to take a picture.
      While I can still use the camera properly, in specific light conditions (low light, cloudy and changing light) it's a bit risky to use as sometimes I have to wait 10-15 mins to have the natural lighting I'm looking for and the trigger could be pressed by inadvertence at any moment.
      Could you guys please confirm that:
      This is not normal, and the light meter should give me a reading even though I didn't pull the lever (as long as the camera is not on Bulb mode) It wouldn't be too crazy to fix as it should 'just' be a connection missing Thank you in advance.
    • By TommyPlouffe
      I just got a great deal on an M6 Classic, but it has very few bubbles here and there. (nothing major)
      I'm sure this subject has been written about multiple times on this forum and some of you may be tired of reading the same thing again and again.
      However, I was wondering if it would be possible to reverse the oxidation by getting it to bare zinc and painting it. Would it need to be treated with some type of chemical? Would it happen again? Sending it to Leica is not an option for me and M6 Classic top plates are hard to find online.
      So, is there any ways to reverse this zinc plague on the top plate?
    • By nbhung
      Hi Guys,

I've been using my M6 TTL without an issue for sometime and then I left it dormant for around a year when I left the country...

Now the meter wont work
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! , the M6 would work fine and still take pictures if exposed correctly with an external light meter, but the mechanism now would not turn on.   
      I'm based in NYC and have sent it to the Leica repair and they sent it back saying that they can't fix it because they "no longer have the parts", I contact Sherry Krauter and she said that she gets her parts from Leica, so if they don't have it, she won't either.

So really now I'm just asking for help!

Thanks!

H
    • By miikka
      I was not sure if I should start a new thread for this simple question, but here it goes. I purchased Leica MP (used) just little over month ago. Just last week we got our first cold weathers this winter here in Finland. I have shot with the MP for many rolls without any problems. At first cold weathers the battery died, so I replaced it with brand new one. Now when I was shooting my first roll with the new battery in ~ -3 °C, after a while when the camera got cold my light meter stopped showing the overexposure led. Other leds work fine and the lightmeter does seem to work fine otherwise. I still have warranty left on the camera because I bought it from store. I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this and if this could be because of my batteries. I used Duracell DL1/3N battery, instead of the recommended CR1/3N. At the moment the led seems to work fine, when the camera is at the room temperatures.