R 8 Thinking about it!

Hank Taylor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Now that I am shooting with the M9 ,and having sold off my M6's, I'm now contemplating getting another film camera but this time a reflex. Like the R8 and would pick up a 60 mm 2.8 micro to go along with it. Missed shooting flowers with an R 60 mm I use to own.

My reasoning, is I need the micro and a used 60 mm would work. My question is, is there a better R for the money?

Hank

i'm tempted to get an R8 or R9 as well. they're going on ebay for less than $2000USD (body). sorry i'm not much help to your question. i find the R9 to be a masterpiece sculpture. especially with the winder on. the best looking camera, after the MP, of all time in my opinion.

R8s should be half that, if that. Make sure that you check the meter, in all three modes, very carefully.

I have one with a dodgy meter and the repair costs more then the camera is worth. Apart from that, they are beautifully made cameras, from another era, really. I second the addition of the winder, which makes the whole thing much better balanced.

The R9 has some "improvements" over the R8, some of which you might find a pain in the butt, including the lock on the metering mode. However, it is noticeably lighter.

RedDot in London have R8s starting at £449 and an R9 for £749 ($685/$1150 and you may be able to claim back the 17.5% VAT from those prices too) Other dealers have them for similar prices.

Edited by andybarton

Now that I am shooting with the M9 ,and having sold off my M6's, I'm now contemplating getting another film camera but this time a reflex. Like the R8 and would pick up a 60 mm 2.8 micro to go along with it. Missed shooting flowers with an R 60 mm I use to own.

My reasoning, is I need the micro and a used 60 mm would work. My question is, is there a better R for the money?

Hank

Hank, is there any particular reason for choosing the 60/2.8 macro over the 100/2.8 macro? (Maybe you also want the 60 focal length for more general use?) But the 100/2.8 is just superb, and gives you just that little bit more working distance.

Let me put in a word for the R7, one of which I have alongside my M7. They are the last of the "traditionally shaped" R series, and by far the best. They can be picked up for a song, and do all that you need and more. Personally I would rather have a late model R7 than an R8 any day - YMMV.

Regards,

Bill

The 60/2.8 macro is superb as well.

It sure is. I could kick myself for obtaining one only last year. And even that was by pure coincidence, as it happened to come along with a Leicaflex SL2 which was the item I was really after.

Andy

Well, my R8 came in today but the 60mm I ordered is still in transit. Hope it gets here by tomorrow since I don't have a lens to put on the R8. While waiting the UPS came by with my 75mm APO Summicron I ordered. Took it out and shot a few picture with the M9. Great lens, but now I better sell the 90 mm Elmarit to help pay for it. One advantage though in being single again, I can spend money on my first love, me!

By the way, this may sound a little strange, but I was getting a bigger thrill in playing with the R8 then trying out the Summicron.

Best regards

Hank

I picked up an R8 with Winder at a bargain price about 2 years ago.

Simply put this is one of the best SLR cameras I've ever used. The R8/R9 may be the best R bodies out there. The R6.2 and SL/SL2 run a close second. (my beef with the R6.2 is the mushy shutter release).

The R8/9 has superb ergonomics, maybe the best viewfinder in any SLR, surprisingly quiet shutter, excellent metering system and is built like a tank.

I would pass on the Winder. I find it to be dreadfully slow, but it is nice and compact.

PS: I think the R3 is highly underrated...

Hank, I have 3 R8's. 1) with the DMR & 2&3) for use with film. I had the R9, but sold it & bought another R8. The feel is awesome. I also have the full motor drives for the 2 film cameras & they have the same form factor as the DMR. The R8 is the best SLR I have ever used or owned. I'll never sell them. The film is like butter in them. Are you going to use the R8 with a tripod? If so, get the best mount you can. The camera is relatively heavy on the super light pods like my bogen, but the better heads do the trick for macro work. Enjoy your piece of art & majesty.

If you use an R8, be careful if using old Manfrotto tripods. Their mounting screws used to be longer than the DIN standard, causing damage to the R8 shutter.

The R8 tripod socket is _just_ at DIN standard depth, the Manfrotto tripod screw was just over. Result, not good.

New Manfrottos are fine, as are R9 tripod sockets, which are _that_ much deeper.

If you use an R8, be careful if using old Manfrotto tripods. Their mounting screws used to be longer than the DIN standard, causing damage to the R8 shutter.

The R8 tripod socket is _just_ at DIN standard depth, the Manfrotto tripod screw was just over. Result, not good.

New Manfrottos are fine, as are R9 tripod sockets, which are _that_ much deeper.

Yup, poor Andy ended up with his R8 back at Solms with a bust footplate on his R8 following a meeting with an older Manfrotto baseplate

Let me also put in my vote of confidence for the R8. I picked up one cheaply and a cheap motor drive separately, and it is one hell of a package. It's surprisingly fast and quiet. The viewfinder is also outstanding, though not quite as bright as my SL2's.

My only complaint with the R8 is that the back on mine tends not to want to close when loading film and has to be forced into cooperating. Aside from that, it works brilliantly.

Finally got my 60MM and had a chance to try out the R8. Having Nikon's and Canon's I can honestly say this is the finest reflex camera I ever had in my hands! Attach is a shot taken with the 60 MM 2.8 . I'm using Ektar 100 and having it process at Costco. Cost for 36 developing negs and making a CD $4.50, and I get it back within the hour.

THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR COMMENTS , GLAD I WENT WITH THE R8!

HANK

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hank, I have 3 R8's. 1) with the DMR & 2&3) for use with film. I had the R9, but sold it & bought another R8. The feel is awesome. I also have the full motor drives for the 2 film cameras & they have the same form factor as the DMR. The R8 is the best SLR I have ever used or owned. I'll never sell them. The film is like butter in them. Are you going to use the R8 with a tripod? If so, get the best mount you can. The camera is relatively heavy on the super light pods like my bogen, but the better heads do the trick for macro work. Enjoy your piece of art & majesty.

Ben I have a question for you, when shooting Ektar the camera doesn't read the code bar for 100 , i have to set this manual. Am I doing something wrong? I really don't mind setting this manually .

Hank