50mm: Summicron 2.0 or Elmarit 2.5?

michael friedberg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lars,

Thank you for mentioning the flare patch. I've run into a couple of those and couldn't for the life of me figure out where it came from. Have cleaned sensor, lens, filter..... very annoying when it happens, I agree...

Are you sure it doesn't come from your filter? I don't use filters with mine and the last time i've got some flare must be some 10 years ago. I have the 11819 version with clip-on hood though.

Hmmm? You people have me questioning my sanity. I've been using a 50mm Summicron (latest model) since 1997. It is my most used lens, and the only time I have noticed flare is when shooting into the sun. I don't recall ever having seen the problem Lars and others are describing here. Or perhaps I have seen it once or twice? --although we're entering the realm of reconstructed memory now. In any case, I don't think I could fairly say it has been a "problem." Not by any stretch.

Is it just me? Or is there anyone else out there who has NOT been particularly haunted by Summicron flare ghosties? I think it's a fine lens.

I don't think I'm unobservant, but . . . wait . . . what forum is this?

Brent