Advertisement (gone after registration)

A question for all of you aficionados: if I was offered a black paint Leica lens how would I know it was really black paint and not black chrome or anodised just by looking at it and handling it?

Pete.

Black paint lenses almost universally have red and white numbering, whereas the black-anodized lenses have yellow and white (unless they are from the 1960's or earlier). Black paint is not metallic, and thus an insulator, and thus will feel "warmer" to the fingers because it is not conducting heat away as fast as a metal coating would.

(That last test doesn't apply if the lens has been sitting in the sun, however

)

Generally, black paint is also a bit smoother and glossier (although age can affect that) - black anodized is a bit matte-er, and has a slight tooth to it (like a black chrome body).

Edited by adan
A black paint lens is also going to be heavier than an anodized lens due to the use of brass for paint adherence if I am not mistaken.

Yep, my black paint 35mm Summicron asph is a lot heavier than the anodized version.

Also, in general, the finish on black paint lenses seem be to glossier and "warmer" than anodized lenses.

Jim B.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks everyone for your replies. Unfortunately I'd need to have a non-black paint lens to know what a black paint lenses is heavier than.

Pete.

Nitromors?

Tusk tusk.

The earlier ('58) BP tended to be porous and allow salt from finger to penetrate, so you got small pits, is was very dull. Tendency to chip (flake) as well.

The mid ('68) BP is much better and more glossy.

But these are two samples there may be variations, e.g. my late M6 zinc top has pitted as well.

But any of the original BPs will wear rapidly with any use to reveal the yellow brass underneath, so unless it is a collector or a repaint of an original BP model it is easy to identify.

Noel

The weight is not on the box but in the specification section of the instruction booklet, at least with the current lenses. Black paint lenses have brass barrels and rings so weigh approximately the same as a silver chrome version would. If you have access to a reference like the Hove Leica Pocket Book you can also find weights in there. For example the regular black Summicron 35/2 ASPH is 255g, and the silver chrome version is 340g, so the BP version will also weigh about 340g.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Al Brown
      A polarizing question, but a fair one.

If one wanted to replace the screw above the lens (on, say, M-P or M10R black paint) with the red (or black) dot logo sticker, is the hole as big as the original logo sticker? Is the screw flat so one could just put the sticker over it? I found no topic of this sort but if it has been answered please do link to the thread.
      Thank you for your civilized answers, please no dumb discussions of "why would anyone want to do that?" kind, it is an academic question.

• By frame-it
      so i saw these today, the badly worn one is $9000, and the other is $11,000...but the standard silver one is $1700..all have perfect glass..but essentially they all have the same Elements right ?

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!  

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Keops
      Hello there. I have been entertaining the idea of buying a half case for my Leica MP. I have mixed views about the half cases for these fine cameras. On one hand I want to protect this valuable piece of delicate machinery from harm as much as I can but on the other hand I don't want an extra layer of thickness while holding the camera which has already perfect dimensions. While I think of the Leicas and the cameras in general which have survived to this day I see a lot of them have some sort of leather case that protected them for all those years. But when I see the cameras of pros that have been brassed beautifully I admire them even more because of those marks. What are your thoughts on this subject? Does a Leica need a protection from harm? Should a black paint Leica brass over time? Will a Leica brass no matter what the intentions of its user? Does a half case make the camera thicker in a way that it affects its usability? Or do half cases make the camera easier to hold? If used with a half case, does black paint Leicas gather an uneven patina? 
    • By Bauerbach
      Liebe Spezialisten hier im Forum,
      bin seit gestern stolzer Besitzer einer schwarzen Leica M2. Laut Seriennummer handelt es sich um eine verchromte Version, auch sind meines Erachtens nicht alle Teile original (Schnellspannhebel, Selbstauslöser und Bildfeldwahl).
      Laut Vorbesitzer wurde die Kamera vor ein paar Jahrzehnten bei Leica von chrom auf schwarz umgerüstet und restauriert.
      Meine Frage ist, ob Leica früher wirklich solche Umbauten vorgenommen hat, oder ob der schwarz glänzende Anstrich aus anderen Händen kommt, bzw wie das Ganze einzuordnen ist (Vitrinenstück oder unbedarft benutzbar).
      Hübsch anzuschauen ist sie auf jeden Fall, die Lackierung ist gut gemacht und technisch/optisch ist alles einwandfrei. 😐

• By Bborco
      Hi. 
      Finally I got the summilux 50mm black paint (pre-ASPH) lens but I couldn’t get any information about my lens. 
      it’s not millennium limited version because the serial number doesn’t match I think. 
      So if you know about my lens could you share me any information??
      Let me attach the box image.
      Thanks.