How to quickly view Leica DNG images

MikeMyers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I guess I'm a bit spoiled. I usually shoot in JPG format with a Nikon, and review the images in Windows Explorer.

Now I'm shooting with the Nikon and an M8, but I haven't found a quick way to view the Leica images. What I really want, is to find some utility that will work with Windows Explorer, and will let me review them just as I now do with the Nikon images, using Windows Explorer. Is there any way to do this? I'm using Vista, but upgrading to Windows 7, if that matters.

(I know I can use other programs that allow a person to review Leica images, but if at all possible, I'd like to use Windows Explorer to quickly review all my images.)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you could just shoot in jpeg format on the M9 as well. Or you could shoot DNG + basic jpeg and review the jpegs as you normally would.

I can see DNG thumbnail images in windows explorer under XP.

You could try this link for Vista: http://www.michaelontech.com/2009/11/view-raw-dng-thumbnails-in-windows-7.html

Edited by dpattinson

I guess I'm a bit spoiled. I usually shoot in JPG format with a Nikon, and review the images in Windows Explorer.

Now I'm shooting with the Nikon and an M8, but I haven't found a quick way to view the Leica images. What I really want, is to find some utility that will work with Windows Explorer, and will let me review them just as I now do with the Nikon images, using Windows Explorer. Is there any way to do this? I'm using Vista, but upgrading to Windows 7, if that matters.

(I know I can use other programs that allow a person to review Leica images, but if at all possible, I'd like to use Windows Explorer to quickly review all my images.)

Really spoil yourself and go 100% DNG and buy a Mac :D

• Like 1

Really spoil yourself and go 100% DNG and buy a Mac :D

The original enquiry was specifically about Windows Explorer. So a reference to the MacIntosh is not very useful.

I'm reminded of the line towards the end of the movie 'Pirates of Silicon Valley' where someone watching an Apple product launch says to Bill Gates "When did thing start becoming a religion?"

The MacIntosh is a computer - nothing more - and some of my colleagues who have to use them have little good to say about them. Remarking "But I thought MacIntoshes were really reliable and never crashed" is not be recommended while they are rebooting their hardware after losing their work.

I've used both Faststone Image Viewer and Iranview. The latter will display DNG format, but you need to install the appropriate plugin, which is part of a download available via the Irfanview website.

Best regards.

Doug

(former Apple user)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The original enquiry was specifically about Windows Explorer. So a reference to the MacIntosh is not very useful.

I'm reminded of the line towards the end of the movie 'Pirates of Silicon Valley' where someone watching an Apple product launch says to Bill Gates "When did thing start becoming a religion?"

The MacIntosh is a computer - nothing more - and some of my colleagues who have to use them have little good to say about them. Remarking "But I thought MacIntoshes were really reliable and never crashed" is not be recommended while they are rebooting their hardware after losing their work.

I've used both Faststone Image Viewer and Iranview. The latter will display DNG format, but you need to install the appropriate plugin, which is part of a download available via the Irfanview website.

Best regards.

Doug

(former Apple user)

Pop your sd card right out of your M8 and into your Mac... DNG's pop up right up in the preview screen... Very useful...

Best regards.

Kevin

(Windows & Apple user)

I run my DNG files through the free Adobe DNG Converter, setting the embedded preview to full size. With a freeware Viever like IrfanView you can then browse through your DNGs as if they were JPGs.

I neither have, nor want, an Mac or an M9. I've got a Windows PC running Windows 7.

The fastest way that I've been able to cut 1000 or so JPG photos from my Nikon down to 50 that I like the most, is to simply use Nikon Transfer to get them off the camera and onto the computer, then open the folder in Windows, scroll through full screen images, one at a time, and delete anything I don't have any use for. (If it's something important, I'll copy the whole folder(s) to a sub-directory labeled "best" and then do the trimming.) After going through this folder three times, it's nicely cut down to size, with only maybe 60 of the best images left. Usually, I'll then copy all of these to yet another folder, maybe labeled "for magazine", and work on that folder until it's down to no more than 35 images, which is what the magazine editor wants me to send.

With the Nikon, while the JPG images are not as capable of being modified as the NEF images, they are perfectly good for the people I'm going to send the images to. If the magazine is happy, I'm happy.

I know there are other viewers one can buy, and I also know that Lightroom is a great way to do all of this, but for now, I'd rather keep doing things the way I have described above, and I'd like to deal with my Leica images the same way.

Shooting JPG images with the Leica is an option, but unlike the Nikon, the image quality seems to suffer a lot, so that's out.

After some of the postings here, and in a very frustrated mood, I started searching all over Google, and trying things out. I think this website has the answer I was looking for:

File extension dng support - CODEC for Windows 7 and Vista - Windows Imaging Component CODEC for Adobe Digital Negative files

I tried it at 3am or so this morning, downloading and installing their new Codec, and while it didn't work as well as Explorer with JPG images, it worked more than well enough for me to get my sorting finished before going to sleep. At least Windows Explorer can now open the images. I've also got a new "program" called "DNG Codec Preferences" that I can use to set my preferences for how Windows will display the file.

It's not free - it costs $30. I've got 15 days in which to try to find a free version that does the same thing. Maybe Adobe has a Codec someplace that I can download, or maybe Leica does???

Thanks for all the help! (I'm still a bit sleepy from not much sleep last night, but I did get things "done".)

Surely, with digital photography, your hardware, operating system and software are an important part of your workflow? When someone has pockets deep enough to afford a Leica, why would they settle for sub-optimal solutions in the rest of their workflow? I hate futile and annoying Mac v. Windows flamewars as much as the next person but seeing as the OP was specifically asking about previewing DNG files in the OS it seems to me to be perfectly legitimate to point out that you can do this very easily and intuitively in OSX straight out of the box. It's not a point of religion, it's factual information. If the OP has other reasons for sticking with another operating system, fine. (Though one can use both on the same hardware. I'm just saying.)

(Also a Windows and a Mac user.)

Surely, with digital photography, your hardware, operating system and software are an important part of your workflow? When someone has pockets deep enough to afford a Leica, why would they settle for sub-optimal solutions in the rest of their workflow? I hate futile and annoying Mac v. Windows flamewars as much as the next person but seeing as the OP was specifically asking about previewing DNG files in the OS it seems to me to be perfectly legitimate to point out that you can do this very easily and intuitively in OSX straight out of the box. It's not a point of religion, it's factual information. If the OP has other reasons for sticking with another operating system, fine. (Though one can use both on the same hardware. I'm just saying.)

(Also a Windows and a Mac user.)

I mostly disagree with this.

First of all, my pockets aren't all that deep, but I've been using Leica cameras since the 1960's, and got the M8.2 despite the price, because I wanted to go back to doing the type of things I was involved in before cameras became computers with lenses. I still had the lenses, and would have bought a used M8 had Roberts Imaging not arranged a demo M8.2 for what I thought was a reasonable price. As far as I'm concerned, the M8 is nothing more than a tool, and the only thing that counts is the images.

As to "sub-optimal solutions", as far as I can tell, everything I own is a "compromise", and probably a sub-optimal solution. A big part of that compromise is price. I drive the car I now own rather than a Rolls Royce or Bentley, because the price of those is more than I would spend. I'm sure my laptop (Toshiba Satellite) is sub-optimal compared to the Sony Vaio Z series that I could buy for $2000, but it's also just a "tool" and it gets the job done. Ditto for my desktop, which is assembled from parts so I could get something more powerful for less money. A Mac, or OSX, or a UNIX (Linux?) computer would also get the job done, but right now I prefer Windows.

I'm used to the fact that people on forums are usually answering their own thoughts, rather than those of a person asking the question, and I guess that's good. Still, in my situation, it's meaningless to read about how a Mac and OSX (or whatever) would do for me (or to me), as I don't have one, and have no intentions of replacing all my computer hardware and software, not to mention learning how to use it. Picassa might very well display DNG images, but my question was how to do this inside of Windows, not with some different program. (If I was going to use a different program, I'd be doing this in Lightroom, which is probably an even better way to do what I want to do, if I wasn't so stubborn as to want to do it inside Windows... but I've got access to Windows on almost any computer I get to use, and Lightroom is only on my desktop and laptop.)

I guess it sounds like I'm complaining, which maybe I am, but I'll remember these discussions and maybe sometime in the future I'll end up getting a Mac. I used them a lifetime ago, and enjoyed them. For now, I'll just try to download and install the Codec that cbretteville mentioned - maybe that's the real answer to my needs.

I've been reading this with interest, because I want something quick on Windows as well (I like 64bit Windows 7 as well for a variety of reasons). OTH, I want something that actually works with the RAW data.

The fastest way I've seen to actually look through M8 / M9 / DMR DNGs at full screen resolution and with some link to the actual RAW content is to use C1. Yes, it takes a few seconds to render a preview from the RAW file, but then it's super fast.

You can mix and match other RAW files as well.

By the way, this has the advantage of actually looking at the RAW data as copied to your computer, and not the full-res preview JPEG embedded in, say, a NEF file. This is very important if your camera or copy part of your workflow actually corrupts the RAW file.

C1 always lets you know if the RAW data is intact. Most of the image browsers, including those at the Windows OS level, generally don't let you know that and work with JPEG data instead.

It's worth it to me to know the files are good.

BTW--I have no idea how the Mac OS does this "instantly" but I suspect it's either a low-resolution / low quality rendering or its interpolating the small embedded JPEG. Might be useful when everything works but it can't be the RAW DNG data if it's instant.

Install Adobe DNG Converter. Run the files thorugh the converter and you will be able to see the thumbnails.

Adobe - Digital Negative (DNG)

Afterwards in windows 7 and you'll also be able to preview the files with Microsoft Image Viewer. The DNG doesn't lose any data, it simply is converted to the Adobe DNG format.

Otherwise, Leica should release their DNG codecs for Windows, just like Canon and Nikon have done for the RAW format.

T.

Yikes, I hadn't even considered that. I guess you're right - the 'jpg' might look fine on the screen, even if the 'dng' data is corrupted and unusable.

Are these programs really just using the JPG preview stored along with the DNG file, or does the Codec allow Windows Explorer to display an image on the screen that is actually coming from the DNG data?

Regarding what twolniewicz wrote, isn't DNG a "standard"? How/why would one convert from a Leica DNG to an Adobe DNG?

The more we discuss this, the more I realize I just don't know yet......

Yikes, I hadn't even considered that. I guess you're right - the 'jpg' might look fine on the screen, even if the 'dng' data is corrupted and unusable.

Are these programs really just using the JPG preview stored along with the DNG file, or does the Codec allow Windows Explorer to display an image on the screen that is actually coming from the DNG data?

Regarding what twolniewicz wrote, isn't DNG a "standard"? How/why would one convert from a Leica DNG to an Adobe DNG?

The more we discuss this, the more I realize I just don't know yet......

You're correct to assume that DNG is a "open format", however it is NOT a "standard". According to wiki, its an open format for RAW images developed by Adobe based on TIFF file format.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Negative_(file_format)

This however this does not mean that everyone conforms to it and implements all the features 100%. JPEG data for instance, is an option and not necessary required to be included. Having JPEG data also increases the file size which its likely that Leica took into consideration.

The Adobe DNG converter is meant to convert from other RAW formats as well. And, it is capable of generating a preview JPEG and properly configure the codecs for DNG files within the windows OS.

T.

Edited by twolniewicz

Mike, I second the recommendation to shoot dng + some jpg -- unless you can't take the wait.

I do this when I do a product shoot, for example. And then copy the jpg's to a disk for the client.

Unfortunately, I can't do this when shooting dance because I need faster turnaround -- I am already the loudest complainer on the Forum regarding the too-small buffer.

I use windoze as well, XP-Pro in my case, and have been used to viewing jpg's by clicking on them when in the directory structure, in which case a small image appears to the left of the file list. I also use ACDSee to view a group of jpg's. The beauty of this program, which I like a great deal, is that it was free with the M8.

I don't know which takes longer to save, the big or small jpg. I have always used the big one, but the small one may show enough detail for your purposes.

Regards,

I just finished downloading and installing it. Everything worked fine, but I couldn't get the full-size preview.

I changed the preferences to "JPEG Preview: Full Size" and everything worked as I hoped it would.

THANKS!!!

(Does anyone know if the original DNG image from Leica is changed when the Adobe converter is run? Are there any potential reasons why someone might not want to do this?)

I just finished downloading and installing it. Everything worked fine, but I couldn't get the full-size preview.

I changed the preferences to "JPEG Preview: Full Size" and everything worked as I hoped it would.

THANKS!!!

(Does anyone know if the original DNG image from Leica is changed when the Adobe converter is run? Are there any potential reasons why someone might not want to do this?)

Great! Glad it worked out. No, I haven't seen any changes to the DNG raw data, but I haven't analized it thourally either. You could always load it into a HEX editor, then compare the checksum of the TIFF data from both.

T.