Cracked M9 sensor

lburn

Update: The camera could be repaired at Solms but they need the original invoice, especially if they have to send the camera to Canada for customs purposes. This sounds logical to me. But, obviously, he doesn't have the invoice here. :(

Tell your friend to call the dealer he bought the camera from in the US and have the dealer email a scanned copy of the invoice. I would get the repair done in Solms. As I've repeatedly stated here, Leica Solms guarantee a maximum 5 working day turnaround on M9 repairs.

Good luck!

I would tell your friend to be persistent but polite with Leica in Solms. I am in a similar situation where my sensor cracked while I was in Amsterdam, and I am in London at the moment. I just sent it to Solms yesterday and they have informed me today that while they don't have the part, they will replace the camera and get it back to me in time for my return flight to the US.

Interesting that you literally heard your friend's sensor glass crack. It's clearly a spontaneous process related to some system flaw. I don't think its temperature-related, as I have had mine up in the mountains in the Los Angeles area, in snow at temperatures of 2C, then back home in the same afternoon into temperatures of 22C.

It sounds as if Leica is working to find out the root cause with Kodak and other suppliers, and I'm confident they can figure it out. It only seems to be happening to a small minority of cameras.

Jeff

Bad luck - Not carrying the invoice could get him into customs trouble in Canada in any case, btw.

Jaap,

I travel quite a lot and I never take invoices for my cameras with me. Never had a problem... except once travelling from Paris to Mayotte (between Mozambique & Madagascar) which is a French Territory! :eek:

I'll have diner tonight with my friends. I hope he has arrange it with Solms (following michali's advice) or with Leica USA.

Well, I'm really sorry for him.

Tell your friend to call the dealer he bought the camera from in the US and have the dealer email a scanned copy of the invoice. I would get the repair done in Solms. As I've repeatedly stated here, Leica Solms guarantee a maximum 5 working day turnaround on M9 repairs.

Good luck!

Thanks! Good idea. Message transmitted.

I would tell your friend to be persistent but polite with Leica in Solms. I am in a similar situation where my sensor cracked while I was in Amsterdam, and I am in London at the moment. I just sent it to Solms yesterday and they have informed me today that while they don't have the part, they will replace the camera and get it back to me in time for my return flight to the US.

Interesting that you literally heard your friend's sensor glass crack. It's clearly a spontaneous process related to some system flaw. I don't think its temperature-related, as I have had mine up in the mountains in the Los Angeles area, in snow at temperatures of 2C, then back home in the same afternoon into temperatures of 22C.

It sounds as if Leica is working to find out the root cause with Kodak and other suppliers, and I'm confident they can figure it out. It only seems to be happening to a small minority of cameras.

Jeff

Jeff,

I don't think either it has something to do with temperature. It was 14º/15º Celsius this morning in Paris. We didn't change from cold to hot (or viceversa). We were sitting in a small terrasse in a quiet street. You know, I heard something like a kind of weak "klick", something like if the lens cap wasn't properly attached. Instinctively, I just tried to clip it but it was already. I paid no attention. I could never imagine it was the sensor.

After this, I will keep my hands off from other's people equipment :o

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Art--

No need to carry the original invoice.

In the US, you can take your camera/lens/watch/whatever to any Customs Office and fill out a form showing you have that serial number with you in that country.

Now if you ship it off or travel with it, when you re-enter your country or when it's returned to you, you have proof signed by a customs official that your whatever has already been in your country, so duties are assumed already to have been paid.

(Just don't do what one forum member did and send the Customs Certificate with the camera. He blamed Leica for the fact that he didn't have the form when the camera was returned.)

That's the advantage of using the national distributor: If I send my camera to Allendale and they forward it to Solms, Allendale handles all the customs paperwork. If I send it directly to Solms, I'll need that customs slip to get it back into the country.

And I know, there are exceptions; my cameras haven't been checked when traveling with me for twenty years. ;)

That depends entirely on the number of posts you have set per page, Daniel ;) With my setting it is on page 2. That's why I added the post number.

Jaap,

Thanks. How do you set the number of posts per page?

BTW, in this case, if I am not mistaken, you can position your pointer over #62 (permalink) on the right of the message, right click and select Copy Link so that the URL for that message is available for pasting. Here it is: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/108712-ir-absorbing-cover-glass-broken-4.html#post1159273. Clicking on this address should display the correct post number at the top of the page. Obviously, I am using a Mac.

K-H.

Edited by k-hawinkler

Jaap,

Thanks. How do you set the number of posts per page?

BTW, in this case, if I am not mistaken, you can position your pointer over #62 (permalink) on the right of the message, right click and select Copy Link so that the URL for that message is available for pasting. Here it is: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/108712-ir-absorbing-cover-glass-broken-4.html#post1159273. Clicking on this address should display the correct post number at the top of the page. Obviously, I am using a Mac.

K-H.

Now that I have changed the number of posts per page it doesn't seem to work anymore.

Go figure, K-H.

Art--

No need to carry the original invoice.

In the US, you can take your camera/lens/watch/whatever to any Customs Office and fill out a form showing you have that serial number with you in that country.

Now if you ship it off or travel with it, when you re-enter your country or when it's returned to you, you have proof signed by a customs official that your whatever has already been in your country, so duties are assumed already to have been paid.

(Just don't do what one forum member did and send the Customs Certificate with the camera. He blamed Leica for the fact that he didn't have the form when the camera was returned.)

That's the advantage of using the national distributor: If I send my camera to Allendale and they forward it to Solms, Allendale handles all the customs paperwork. If I send it directly to Solms, I'll need that customs slip to get it back into the country.

And I know, there are exceptions; my cameras haven't been checked when traveling with me for twenty years. ;)

Thanks Howard!

I know how the system works in the States. In fact, I still have one of those Customs Certificates for an Olympus OM-2 and two Zuiko lenses I bought in States in the 70's ;)

I always thought your system was very smart. We don't have that in Europe. The only problem I had in more than 30 years travelling was in Mayotte, which is part of France. I went for the wedding of a friend in 2005 and I had with me three Canon DSLR, two big white lenses, four other "L" lenses, a Digilux-2 and all kind of accessories (flashes, filters, tripod... including a computer and a Canon SELPHY printer). At the border, already in Mayotte, the French Police thought I was there for selling goods because the prices in the Island are much more higher than in the Metropole. I was so surprised that I was innocently furious. When the Police saw also about 20 people waiting for me at the Airport with floral nakelaces, they thought I was telling the truth about the wedding.

Besides that, Mayotte is a wonderful place, Paradise on Earth, lagoon is beautiful, wild life's fantastic, local people are incredibly friendly and, the most important, it's not a turist destination... No Brits, Germans, Dutchs, Americans, Aussies, Kiwis, Canadians and very few French people from the Metropole... :eek:

Now, going back to my Canadian friend, he will flight back to Montréal on Sunday. Leica NJ (I think) has arranged everything. They will pick up the camera at his office next week and it will be repaired or replaced in Germany. They said it shouldn't be longer than 10 working days in total.