Cracked M9 sensor

lburn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I used my M9 today for the first time in a couple of weeks. I have had it since just after launch in the UK and have taken a few thousand exposures with no problem. However, I have just uploaded and viewed 60 or so I took today and there is a crescent shaped double line running vertically from top to bottom of every picture in exactly the same place in the frame. I have inspected the sensor and it looks like a large crack. Its definitely not a hair because it doesn't look like one and does not dislodge with a blower sensor cleaner. Obviously I am taking the camera straight in to my Leica dealer tomorrow but the worrying thing is that this has just happened out of the blue. I always keep the camera and lenses in a Billingham bag and it has not been subjected to any knocks or incidents of any sort. At the moment it seems to me that the sensor has just cracked from top to bottom. Has anyone else had this? I have seen threads on problems with the Infra Red filter, but nothing quite as bad as this.

I attach a JEPEG of an example photo.

lburn.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Is it possible to photograph the sensor before sending it out. Iv never heard of a sensor cracking before? I tested a M9 some time ago and took this shot of a non cracked sensor of the M9 sensor. Sorry to hear your about your trouble, Im sure Leica will make it right. Good luck

722781508_tNPGU-L-3.jpg

Gregory

Guest trond

I believe the sensor is indeed in focus on the image.

Click on the image and look at the higher resolution picture.

The sensor is in focus.

Best regards

Trond

Might the moderators add this thread (just for convenience' sake) to the more general cracked coverglass thread Per mentioned above?

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/108712-ir-absorbing-cover-glass-broken.html

Gregory, there's at least one photo of the cracked sensor glass in that thread (http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/108712-ir-absorbing-cover-glass-broken-9.html#post1272442), and I think there are others as well.

Edited by ho_co

Well this is very disconcerting. It seems that we are continuing to see this pop up. I sure hope its not a fundamental problem, such as one caused by sensor shimming, as some have hypothesized. I can't have this randomly happen to me. With my traveling, it can be a serious problem trying to get it repaired due to international shipping and customs issues.

My camera went off to Solms yesterday; they felt it might be possible to have it repaired and returned to me by Friday morning, before I leave the UK. Hopefully they can do this, and I will give them all the praise in the world if they can, but I am concerned about it happening in the first place, and hope Leica can get to the root of the problem.

Jeff

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/108712-ir-absorbing-cover-glass-broken-4.html#post1159273

That link should work a lil better, Jaap's takes me to page 2 and Stefan Daniel's response is on page 4.

Very reassuring to know Leica will replace the sensor or camera as promptly as they can if you encounter this problem. I hope temperature fluctuations don't exacerbate it, as I'll be hiking through New Zealand for six weeks later this year.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/108712-ir-absorbing-cover-glass-broken-4.html#post1159273

That link should work a lil better, Jaap's takes me to page 2 and Stefan Daniel's response is on page 4.

That depends entirely on the number of posts you have set per page, Daniel ;) With my setting it is on page 2. That's why I added the post number.

A friend of mine from Canada (oops, sorry, Québec) is on holidays with his wife in Paris. He called me yesterday to do some shots together this morning (beautiful sunny spring weather here in Paris even if a bit cold). I was using his M9 while he was using my M8.

Having a coffee in a terrace near Hotel de Ville, I heard a familiar sound comming from the camera which I couldn't interpretate. I though of the lens cap being loose, so I tight it up.

Ten minutes later, chimping after taking a picture, I saw two parallel lines, one black, the other white... on the upper left side of the image... He removed the lens and screamed out "MERDE!"

He will call Leica USA this afternoon. I proposed him to call Solms but he said that Leica cameras bought in the USA have no international warranty and he must call NJ first. :confused: I think he's wrong but I have no idea. Have you heard anything about this?

He received his camera in February.

I've lent him one of my M8... but he's a mixture of sad, disappointed and furious.

Edited by ArtZ

That's creasy. I definitely hope that there is no large-scale issue with the sensor cover starting to show up. I just arrived in the Leica house...

A friend of mine from Canada (oops, sorry, Québec) is on holidays with his wife in Paris. He called me yesterday to do some shots together this morning (beautiful sunny spring weather here in Paris even if a bit cold). I was using his M9 while he was using my M8.

Having a coffee in a terrace near Hotel de Ville, I heard a familiar sound comming from the camera which I couldn't interpretate. I though of the lens cap being loose, so I tight it up.

Ten minutes later, chimping after taking a picture, I saw two parallel lines, one black, the other white... on the upper left side of the image... He removed the lens and screamed out "MERDE!"

He will call Leica USA this afternoon. I proposed him to call Solms but he said that Leica cameras bought in the USA have no international warranty and he must call NJ first. :confused: I think he's wrong but I have no idea. Have you heard anything about this?

He received his camera in February.

I've lent him one of my M8... but he's a mixture of sad, disappointed and furious.

Nonsense Just send it to Solms. Call them first to dispel any doubt.

Update: The camera could be repaired at Solms but they need the original invoice, especially if they have to send the camera to Canada for customs purposes. This sounds logical to me. But, obviously, he doesn't have the invoice here. :(