Digilux 3 built-in flash problem

LVSBB6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been using my Digilux 3 since Sept 2007 with no issues...until today while attempting to take family dinner photos.

I popped the built-in flash in the normal position (straight on flash), however the flash did not work! The flash display on the screen is showing as OFF so I couldn't get the flash working.

I then switched the flash to the bounch flash position, and it worked fine in that position.

However, once I press the [FLASH] button fully into the normal position, it just wouldn't light up! I tried turning the camera off and taking out the battery, but still didn't fix the problem.

I went home and read through the manual and couldn't figure out what is wrong...

The camera has been babied since day one, it has never been dropped. This just happened out of nowhere.

Has anyone experienced similar problem on their Digilux 3? Your input is greatly appreciated!

Edited by LVSBB6

After spoken with Leica and my local authorized dealer, they suggested me to send back to NJ to have it diagnose and fix. The D3 comes with 3 years warranty so I hope this wouldn`t costs more than the postal fees to fix.

Sorry to hear about this problem.

I got mine March 2007, no problem until now (Touch wood)

As soon I read about this I checked and it works fine.

Sorry I cannot help you.

• 5 years later...

I have been using my Digilux 3 since Sept 2007 with no issues...until today while attempting to take family dinner photos.

I popped the built-in flash in the normal position (straight on flash), however the flash did not work! The flash display on the screen is showing as OFF so I couldn't get the flash working.

I then switched the flash to the bounch flash position, and it worked fine in that position.

However, once I press the [FLASH] button fully into the normal position, it just wouldn't light up! I tried turning the camera off and taking out the battery, but still didn't fix the problem.

I went home and read through the manual and couldn't figure out what is wrong...

The camera has been babied since day one, it has never been dropped. This just happened out of nowhere.

Has anyone experienced similar problem on their Digilux 3? Your input is greatly appreciated!

Hi, I have the exact same problem here. The flash doesn't work suddenly.

When I attempt to close it, then I see in the screen that the flash is recognize again by the camera, but if I remove my finger of the flash and it fully open, the camera do not recognize it anymore.

My guess is that an internal cable is breaking after opening and closing along these years.

No warranty anymore.

Any suggestion about what to do?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad English.

Hi again,

I have removed the two screws of the flash and I can now confirm that the design of it was not correctly made. Just opening and closing the flash the cable is cracked as you can see at the photo below.

I afraid there is not solution as long as I get that cable, that probably is not possible to get or in case is possible must be ridiculous expensive.

Really sad and disappointed.

Leica_Digilux_3_flash_cables_broken.jpg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The camera was made by Panasonic - you could try contacting their service dept of your local Panasonic distributor?

Thanks Earleygallery for your reply. I guess that will be the only solution if I want the flash working again. If eventually I do it and get a quotation to get it fixed, I will mention it here.

Greets

Have you asked Leica for a quote?

Hi Pop, thanks for your reply. I just realised of the problem an hour and a half ago, then I removed the screws and found the cracked cable. I will maybe ask Leica for a quotation, but I afraid (maybe I am wrong) that the price will be crazy to fix a camera with so many years. Maybe the easiest solution will be to get a external flash that works well together and forget about the the internal pop up flash that even if I get fix, after several years the cable will crack again because of the bad design.  

Hi again,

I have a Metz mecablitz 44 MZ-2 but after check on the camera, I see doesn't really work very well together with my Digilux 3. However searching online I found this: http://www.leicashop.com/brandnew_en/metz-sca-3202-6.html?___from_store=brandnew_de

Anybody knows if that adapter would get this flash to work better on this camera?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hugomez