CV 12mm M Mount

daleeman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am starting to see some early materials about the 12mm being reworked by CV to an M mount with filter threads. Has anyone found additional materials, early images produced with this lens and any and all opinions on it.

Truly would like to add something this wide, but as we all know would need to UV/IR the lens to use on my 8.2.

Lee

With the 12mm (or more to the point CV 15mm as I've just bought one), do the panel think that the UVIR filter is really necessary (or even desirable)? Presumably, if you're using the lens mainly outdoors for landscapes, there's something to be said for letting a bit more IR through to the sensor? And less need for correcting those purples. Also, with the filter mounted, you're going to have to do something about the cyan drift.

Otto--

There has been a lot of discussion on the topic.

Some people go straight, some use John Milich's adapter to make use of the filter.

Some use CornerFix for final correction, I think, others don't.

Not using the UV/IR-Cut filter does cause some small falsification of color, since the IR is picked up in all three color channels.

But results vary, just as the amount of both UV and IR vary.

If you can't find helpful information with the "Search" function, you might want to start a thread on the topic of the 15's needs for filtration, since you're more interested in that lens.

(Sorry, I don't own a CV15, so I have no recommendation. :o )

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Truly would like to add something this wide, but as we all know would need to UV/IR the lens to use on my 8.2.

Lee, on my M8, I'm using the CV 12mm with the John Milich filter holder and a B+W Infrared-Blocking Filter 489 (not the UV/IR 486) as a friend suggested me to do.

Well, the results are great, no cyan drift and perfect colours. So far, this is the best combo for this lens I've found on the M8.

3367836220_6ec6fbd6b1_o.jpg

3375693649_102ea84eb2_b.jpg

Hope this helps.

Edited by epand56
  • Like 1

Thanks.

I do hope the new 12mm M mount that does have a filter mount capability has greater build quality worth the extra money. I imagine it is the same glass design. Hopefully excellent in its delivery.

How do you guestimate using a lens this wide. By this I mean on my M2 I use my Zeiss 21mm with it on a tripod and as much as I can see without glasses on from edge to edge is just about perfect. When using it hand held I have the VC 21mm finder and use that too.

On my M8.2 with the 21mm the Zeiss does not match up with the 28mm frame lines that it brings up. It mathematically should but it is far closer to the 24mm frame lines. So I am wondering how to guestimate the actual magnification of the 12mm M mount on the M8. Mathematically I should be able to use a 15mm finder, but I wonder how critical this matches up.

Also, how many photos will I take with a lens that wide that I have to Photoshop my own feet and elbows out of? Bill of my baseball cap and such, or am I just imaging it will be that wide?

Lee

Edited by andybarton
unnecessary quote

Lee, it is very easy to guessestimate with this 12mm, you just have to think of an Instamatic. Once you set an aperture and a medium focus, just go with times and shoot.

On the M8 it is not all that wide and with the camera straight, it does not even distort.

Is a superb lens on the M8 but friends tell me that on the M9 it really is too wide.

I'm thinking of selling mine and buying the new one, but since I also have the new RF copied 15mm I don't know if I will.

Anyway is a very amusing lens, either for portraits and long distance pictures.

2719644295_f2d6345010_b.jpg

2720468946_551a6e2ba2_b.jpg

Lee, note that all the pictures are NOT cropped.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems I've been always lucky with this lens without any filters at all. Here are 2 samples from Rome. These are the "Spanish Steps" and the "Panteon"

I haven't tried it with landscapes of green leaves.

Seyhun

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On the M8 it is not all that wide and with the camera straight, it does not even distort.

Is a superb lens on the M8 but friends tell me that on the M9 it really is too wide.

Enrico, I've sold both my M8s and now use the lens on the M9. On the M8 I used it without filters and had no issues, this lens is a gem.

With the latest M9 firmware 1.116 I'm getting outstanding results, no vignetting or dark corners or red edges. I also agree that it's a little too wide on the M9, I find myself using the WATE more often. Having said that I'm doing a trip to Namibia in May and can't wait to try the 12mm out on the desert landscapes.

I saw on Cameraquest that the ship date for the M mount 12mm has slipped again to 4/21/2010. I still have real interest in this lens as an M and using direct filter mounts. I am surprised that some are getting no edge shifts in color with it on an 8.2. in its present LSM version.

I'm certain the synthetic clothing color shift still applies with the M8. I doubt that that can be avoided with an uv/ir cut.

The widest lens I have is on the D300 and it not prime an 18-200 VR and when I am out in the mountains I wish for something wider all the time. Hopefully this will fit the bill without breaking the bank.

Speaking of bank, I will make a guess this lens comes in at $ 880 plus US without finder. Any other guesses?

Lee

Lee - the CV 15 Heliar II is considerably wider on a M8 than the 18-200 on a Nikon DX body.

It equals about an FOV of a 20mm lens in 35mm terms.

The 18-200 on the D300 (which I both had as well ;-) ) equals around an 28mm FOV.

The 15mm Heliar is much more affordable (and I think more practical) than the 12mm.

It is smaller, lighter and around half the price of the 12mm. It is half a stop faster as well.

I use mine sometimes on the M8.2 and a bit on film.

You certainly need the 15mm finder to use the 12mm on M8. The voigtlander finder is fine for me.

Another point: I sold my 15mm lens because it had more color problems than the 12 mm for some reason. A lot of people have the same opinion in the group. Normally it should be the reverse. It was a good lens too for general photography. The 12mm is very wide indeed.

Nothing is the prfect solution, it seems.

Seyhun

I saw on Cameraquest that the ship date for the M mount 12mm has slipped again to 4/21/2010. I still have real interest in this lens as an M and using direct filter mounts. I am surprised that some are getting no edge shifts in color with it on an 8.2. in its present LSM version.

I'm certain the synthetic clothing color shift still applies with the M8. I doubt that that can be avoided with an uv/ir cut.

The widest lens I have is on the D300 and it not prime an 18-200 VR and when I am out in the mountains I wish for something wider all the time. Hopefully this will fit the bill without breaking the bank.

Speaking of bank, I will make a guess this lens comes in at $ 880 plus US without finder. Any other guesses?

Lee

You certainly need the 15mm finder to use the 12mm on M8. The voigtlander finder is fine for me.

Another point: I sold my 15mm lens because it had more color problems than the 12 mm for some reason. A lot of people have the same opinion in the group. Normally it should be the reverse. It was a good lens too for general photography. The 12mm is very wide indeed.

Nothing is the prfect solution, it seems.

Seyhun

Seyhun,

This is very interesting the color issue between the 12mm and the 15mm. Selling your 15 because the color, is that because the shift in color was all over the frame, or out by the edges? I've seen some nice color images from other 15mm lenses, I wondered if the CV plant just spun out a bad unit.

Also I wonder with a 12mm do you have to be concerned with keeping your feet or tripod leg out of the picture? I've used some 10mm fish eye lenses before with those issues. This new 12 I hope is very rectilinear and not distort too much.

Lee

Lee - the CV 15 Heliar II is considerably wider on a M8 than the 18-200 on a Nikon DX body.

It equals about an FOV of a 20mm lens in 35mm terms.

The 18-200 on the D300 (which I both had as well ;-) ) equals around an 28mm FOV.

The 15mm Heliar is much more affordable (and I think more practical) than the 12mm.

It is smaller, lighter and around half the price of the 12mm. It is half a stop faster as well.

I use mine sometimes on the M8.2 and a bit on film.

I hope to use mine on the M2 as well as the M8, that is once its released and I I buy one. I've passed on 2 good used 12mm LTM units in favor of the new 12mm M version so hopefully the wait and my wallet will pay off.

Looking forward to actually having a lens as wide and my vision or my mind's vision. I may have to make a 2 stage purchase, the lens and 486 filter first and then a finder second. I have a CV 21mm finder and I wonder if I can guestimate a complete view from that ignoring the 21mm lines in it until I actually get the finder that mates to the M8. Fully certain the 21mm finder would not be close on the M2 with a 12mm lens.

Lee

L