Epson V700 vs. Nikon Coolscan V vs. Coolscan 8000

drums1977

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Any film.

I shoot both silver b&w, C41 and E6. The only scratches on films I have come from the commercial processors. All my E6 and b&w films are pretty much scratch free because I am careful with them.

I just turn off the ICE in the Coolscan when scanning the b&w and don't have a problem at all.

If you have clean negs or slides to start with, then scanning is easy.

If your negatives are so clean that you never have any problems with dust, why do you turn on ICE when you scan color?

If your negatives are so clean that you never have any problems with dust, why do you turn on ICE when you scan color?

Now I'm assuming this: ;) somehow went missing at the end of that comment... :rolleyes:

Anyways, as I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new Coolscan 9000 on Monday - I'd love to know (among many other questions):

1. what is the optimal way to clean negatives before scanning?

2. which is the absolute best negative holder (and now I'd like a brand name please - save me time trying to guess which parchment holder people have been talking about)

Incidentally, anyone wanting to buy a brand new Coolscan 9000 at a reasonable price ($2200) should try Mike's Cameras in Denver / Boulder Colorado. They apparently have a couple more in stock and they don't appear interested in putting them on the bay at $3k+, like other authorized Nikon dealers who've got new stock from the manufacturer.*

* PS: naturally I have no affiliation etc - and I'll hastily withdraw this recommendation if I pick-up the box only to find it contains a brick...

• 10 months later...

As an update to this old thread, there's now a thread in the German forum which shows samples of various scans with different scanners. Specifically, towards the end there are some scans of the same negative from, among others, the Epson V750 (#69) and the Coolscan V (#61). Note that this is a very fine-grained film with ultra-high resolution (Adox CMS 20), so the results probably aren't that relevant if you're (like me) routinely working with 400 ASA films and A4 prints. But this direct comparison demonstrates the differences between both scanners pretty well.