Epson V700 vs. Nikon Coolscan V vs. Coolscan 8000

drums1977

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I got my second hand Coolscan V yesterday, but I will not be able to try it before the end of next week. I plan to rescan some of my photographs (previously scanned with a V700), so I reckon I will be able to provide some proper side-by-side comparison. I will also be getting the betterscanning.com medium format holders for the Epson. We'll see!

Hello all. No particular answer to previous posts, but just to add to the debate; I have a Coolscan 5000, but one day it will fail... However I only work in black and white (colour interests me less and I have a DSLR for that) and so would wlecome any thoughts on how the Epson flatbed option(s) compare to the Nikons specifically with reference to black and white.

Thanks,

Jim.

Do not doubt the abilities of the V700. Lots of folks trash it but I can get superb 8x10's from 35mm. Make sure your films are flat not curled and the emulsion side is facing up. I scan at 2400 and like I said print highly detailed 8x10s. I don't think my Sony 850 with 25 mp's could make a print with as much crisp detail as my M3 and Delta 100 can. I'm not saying it's a Coolscan 5000 but for many it will fill the bill.

Edited by Austinite

Hello all. No particular answer to previous posts' date=' but just to add to the debate; I have a Coolscan 5000, but one day it will fail... However I only work in black and white (colour interests me less and I have a DSLR for that) and so would wlecome any thoughts on how the Epson flatbed option(s) compare to the Nikons specifically with reference to black and white.

Thanks,

Jim.[/quote']

In response to Jim and quickly, here are 2 crops uncorrected :

n°1 comes from the Coolscan V

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

n°2 comes from Epson V700

in the same conditions for scan

(M7 Cron 28mm film Ilford Delta 100 Ilfosol S).

Now here is the same negative scanned on both scanners :

n°1 Coolscan

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

n°2 Epson V700

Your opinion ?

Picture uncorrected

I got a new Nikon Coolscan 9000 at a fairly good price recently, and after a few scans, I probably would be just as happy with an Epson flatbed. I'm not too disappointed, because I keep reading that the Coolscans are discontinued and used prices on Ebay are more then I paid new, but I think I probably just should've tried the flatbed first.

First of all - just to say thanks to the contributors to this really informative and thorough thread: full of interesting information, and a great reference to the choices available.

Forgive me if I've missed this piece of information, but I was now under the impression that all the Nikon Coolscan models were discontinued - but when I visited their US website to get some information, it appears that the 5000ED and 9000ED are still current models(?)

Is this correct? If so, I therefore assume there's no need to pay extortionate amounts of money on eb@y to get used units for more than the list price - if Nikon are actually still producing the scanners?

Thanks again for all the examples and useful info!

The Nikon F6 is also displayed as a current model, but I remember, production has been discontinued recently (please correct me, if I am wrong).

Nikon leaves the latest production film gear on display, as long as stocks are available, to base sales on. There are still vendors with new F6 and Coolscans around, which Nikon backs with this policy.

Hopefully, this wait out does result in continuing film products in a somewhat specific line, rather than just phasing them out.

There's a lot of noise of the web that the Nikon 9000 is discontinued. Yes, Nikon USA lists it as a current model, but none of the big dealers have it in stock. Nikon Asia lists it as discontinued, and more dealers are starting to list it as discontinued. See Nikon Rumors on the web.

Robert White lists the Nikon 9000 discontinued as of February 2010. The 5000 scanner was discontinued in April 2009.

Yeah - why sell someone a scanner they can use for the next ten years with their existing gear, when you can sell them a new digi-camera that they replace every year instead?

I guess the search is on for stores with stock then - if there are any...

What's really missing here is that if you are serious about scanning. You need to make profiles of each film you use. ith Vuescan (which I use), it takes some time, but once you have made the profile, you have a good neutral point to start with. If your exposures are dead on, the neutral is the best point to start. You recalibrate depending on which side of the exposure curve the neg lies. That's one reason I don't use the Nikons, because these give you very little control over the scan & the contrast destroys a lot of the details. In any case, you should not expect the scanner to do the aesthetic selection for you. Profile the films & compare the results.

There's a lot of noise of the web that the Nikon 9000 is discontinued. Yes, Nikon USA lists it as a current model, but none of the big dealers have it in stock. Nikon Asia lists it as discontinued, and more dealers are starting to list it as discontinued. See Nikon Rumors on the web.

I mean Nikon Singapore lists them as discontinued. It's a shame, because there seems to be a market.

I mean Nikon Singapore lists them as discontinued. It's a shame, because there seems to be a market.

It does seem that all of these scanners are discontinued. A quick look-around has located a few new models, including a 9000ED and V ED. The problem is that all of them are selling at a considerable mark-up - even the used models on the bay.

It's useless to moan about this I guess - film is becoming more and more a niche market - but even so, the prices would seem to indicate a need that's being disregarded by the manufacturers.

the prices would seem to indicate a need that's being disregarded by the manufacturers.

Not sure about that. I'd love to see more competition in the medium and high-end film scanner market, but I think Nikon and others who stopped producing them (Minolta comes to mind) simply need a certain volume in order to be profitable and they can't reach that anymore. The fact that a few people are desperate enough to pay a lot of money for used gear doesn't change that.

That leaves us with Hasselblad/Imacon for the very high end (but how long will they stay?) and the cheaper segment. Too bad, but I don't think the situation will improve.

Not sure about that. I'd love to see more competition in the medium and high-end film scanner market, but I think Nikon and others who stopped producing them (Minolta comes to mind) simply need a certain volume in order to be profitable and they can't reach that anymore. The fact that a few people are desperate enough to pay a lot of money for used gear doesn't change that.

That leaves us with Hasselblad/Imacon for the very high end (but how long will they stay?) and the cheaper segment. Too bad, but I don't think the situation will improve.

Yes I think you're right - but the main problem is probably because film scanners work against Nikon's main business strategy (encouraging sales of new digital cameras). I think if the technology had been owned or developed by a company who had an interest in sustaining film sales (such as Kodak for instance), then a lower volume / higher profit model might possibly still be in production.

Sad day when there are no film scanners available in the future. That is as likely as anything else to be the nail in the coffin...

If anything, Leica should be the company co-developing or co-branding a scanner equipped with their lenses, with japanese electronics. A scan-focomat type. They have the niche customer base (from M2/M3 to MP)/M7) to use them.

Pricing would aim a medium-high target (anything in the 2000/5000 range). I could not justify the purchase of an Imacon for 13000 $,

but my 30 000 + negs would justify such a medium tag price.

Edited by JHAG