Newbie wonders if M8 might be 'too much'

mmanda

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've already lined up a M8 locally and am trading my Canon gear in. I'm going to pick up the Voigtlander 1.4 Nokton and start out with that as my gear.

If I'm still in time, let me try and discourage you from doing that. Try to source a second-hand Zeiss or Leica lens instead, or one of the other Voigt lenses. The 1.4 Nokton suffers from back-focus issues, it seems to be a very popular lens with new M8 buyers (I know I went out and bought one as soon as I picked up my M8.2), I think they're seduced by the combination of fast aperture and low price. But as always you get what you pay for. An f/2 or f/2.8 second-hand Leica or Zeiss would be a much better bet as first lens; you don't want to be kicking yourself for spending big on the camera then feeling cheated by some poor quality glass. I took my 1.4 Nokton back after using it for the first weekend.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the 1.4 Nokton is really hit or miss. I have heard a lot of complaints about it on the forum, and I don't doubt that in certain cases it does have all those issues.

But for me, my 1.4 Nokton never had any problems. Sure I don't love the way it pulls color, but for B&W photography it does what it's supposed to do, and I really enjoy it.

If I'm still in time, let me try and discourage you from doing that. Try to source a second-hand Zeiss or Leica lens instead, or one of the other Voigt lenses. The 1.4 Nokton suffers from back-focus issues, it seems to be a very popular lens with new M8 buyers (I know I went out and bought one as soon as I picked up my M8.2), I think they're seduced by the combination of fast aperture and low price. But as always you get what you pay for. An f/2 or f/2.8 second-hand Leica or Zeiss would be a much better bet as first lens; you don't want to be kicking yourself for spending big on the camera then feeling cheated by some poor quality glass. I took my 1.4 Nokton back after using it for the first weekend.

Imo correct afa the 1.4 Nocton is concerned.

May I add: 35mm Summarit yes why not, 50mm Summarit NO,

35 or 50 Cron YES (35Asph wow! but also any other older Crons of 35 or 50mm-with a tab?!)

any Zeiss (except the 1.5) if the size is fine for you.

Cheers!

Agreed, or if money is tight and a CV lens is the only option the 35mm f/2.5 Skopar PII is a far wiser buy for the M8 and they seem pretty consistent build wise when compared to the Nokton for whatever reasons that may be. Very happy with mine! :)

Yes you are still in time! I have only made a mental decision regarding the lens I'll buy. I'm gonna get the body paid for, then see what I can spring for. I think I'll be hard pressed having more than $1000AUD to spend. That limits me big time as far as used Leica glass goes (from my research to date).

So I'll keep pondering then... thanks for stepping in guys and helping me avoid something I'll regret.

EDIT: After a quick google search. I could spring for the 35mm Summarit f2.5 - ha maybe a weekend trip to NZ is in order to claim back some tax :)

Edited by mmanda

(snip)

EDIT: After a quick google search. I could spring for the 35mm Summarit f2.5 - ha maybe a weekend trip to NZ is in order to claim back some tax :)

I have the Summarit 35 as well as several faster 35s and I can assure you that you won't be disappointed in the IQ it delivers - it's a stunner!. The only thing you give up compared to pricier Leica glass is speed. After you have used it for a while you will know if you need something faster.

Regards, Jim

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is the M8 a good tool to help teach a beginner? I've handled one and loved the feel and look of it. I'd love to hear from anyone else that had a similar background to me prior to purchasing a M8 and how did they find it. Did the ownership of the Leica and it's more compact styling reignite your desire to shooot and learn???

Does the M8 attract attention when you are out using it?

I started to respond here yesterday, then deleted what I wrote. I'm not sure my thoughts are what you want to hear. Then today I wished I had posted them anyway.

In my own way of thinking about this, the discussion isn't covering the most important thing - whether or not you'll like using a RF camera.

You can learn photography from any camera - the less automated it is, the better. Buying a book on photography would be a good start. Yes, buying a Leica M did make me want to go out and do the things it's best at, but I realize that's all nonsense - I could have taken the same shots with my other cameras. As a precision instrument, I love using the Leica. As a photographer, it's just a camera, and all that counts is the end results - the photos you take. (I also love the fact that it's small and light, and most people pay it no attention.)

In my opinion again, you can spend a fortune buying as many Leica lenses as you want, or you can buy a few Voigtlander lenses. It doesn't matter. Take the camera out and start using it, the more the better. After a while, you'll find you either enjoy having a RF camera, or you'll wish you had a more automated DSLR.

One last thing - I posted something here a while back, but I left out the most important part. Whether you like the camera or not depends greatly on the kind of photos you take. Some types of photography just come natural to a Leica M, and other types are durn near impossible. Just something to think about. (I love using my M8.2, but it is very much NOT a replacement for my Nikon DSLR for much of the work I do.)

What a wonderful discussion! I'm also prospective M8 buyer (currently looking for a second-hand one) also in Melbourne. I can't wait to get one ASAP and experience everything everyone here has talked about.

This is a great discussion Tonysaurus! All the contributors have been very accomodating to my questions and situation. :D

If you want to know where I'm buying mine from, feel free to PM me :)

Shade, see the discussion directly preceding your post...

mmanda, the 35 Summarit sounds like an excellent choice!

I agree, I think this is the perfect way to go. I don't plan on buying a bunch of lenses in anytime soon. I want to get one and then learn learn learn. So may as well get some half decent glass up front. That $800 odd the Nokton costs, is a fair way close to what I need for the Summarit anyway. I can find some stuff to sell to help build up my funds lol

I purchased a second hand M8.2 last year along with the Summarit 35mm f2.5 and love this lens.

One very under rated lens in my humble opinion. Is on my Leica 80% of the time.

Beautiful photo of your beautiful family - thanks for sharing :)

Edited by mmanda
Added 2 more responses...

Here is a sample of my M8 + 35 cron. I suspect the 35 summarit will not be very different. Vignetting was added in post.

Shot in wide open.

Baby_on_bed___by_pandaemas.jpg

And here is a B/W version...

My_baby_on_bed_5_by_pandaemas.jpg

I love the colours the Leica produces, and I love how it renders for my B/W...

:)

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd give you guys an update on what I ended up doing.

Unfortunately I won't be buying a M8. I've cancelled my deposit. Not because of want or desire tho... financial reasons. I have a near complete tear in the anterior talofibulor ligament on my right ankle and several other OUCHEE issues... so I'll be funding surgery!

Maybe later in the year I'll get one. But for now, health beckons ;)

I just wanted to say a HUGE thankyou to everyone that replied and imparted their very valuable knowledge and experiences on my original questions.

I'll continue to read these forums and post when appropriate

Cheers from Melbourne!

Amanda