Newbie wonders if M8 might be 'too much'

mmanda

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My 5kg bag was a lowepro backpack, with camera body, 50mm 1.8, 10-22mm, 17-40L etc its heavy. But to be 100% honest.. the lens that stays on the camera most of the time is the 50mm. I love how sharp it is and the compact nature of the lens.

Even with the 50mm mounted, I still can't be bothered carrying it around. It also occurred to me with one of the responses above that all the settings the 40D has puts me off. I'm always forgetting to check settings, the camera makes me lazy!

hehe, tell me about it. The best thing I ever did was 14 months ago and that was change over to a rangefinder camera. When I think back to years of lugging heavy Nikon's around like the F4S or my last D200 with battery grip it's no wonder I need a stick to walk with these day's.

Now most of the time when out all I need is to wear a photo vest and I can carry 1 or 2 bodies with a lens mounted on each in my pockets easily, discreetly and most important comfortably. I thought I would miss my Nikkor zoom lenses but once I got used to using my feet again for zoom in walking backwards/forwards I soon realised how wrong I was. It was the turning point in my photography that I was becoming so bored rigid with, it was not technology with masses of stupid camera menus to trawl through that I needed, it was to return back to basics and start enjoying myself again.

Amanda, I wish you all the best with your new pursuit and I am sure you will not regret your change of focus either. :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you got that right! ;) The M8 is definitely a sexy camera. Haha

I was once at the top of the Leaning Tower of Pisa with my partner... I wanted someone to take our picture... I spotted a nice young German guy who looked perfect for the job... When I handed him my M8 he his eyes lit up and he howled a deep German LEI--CAAA!!! for all 30 of us at the top to hear... He lost all track of his Girl Friend/Wife and was my best friend until I pried my camera back out his hands... ;)

Edited by sfokevin

I was once at the top of the Leaning Tower of Pisa with my partner... I wanted someone to take our picture... I spotted a nice young German guy who looked perfect for the job... When I handed him my M8 he his eyes lit up and he howled a deep German LEI--CAAA!!! for all 30 of us at the top to hear... He lost all track of his Girl Friend/Wife and was my best friend until I pried my camera back out his hands... ;)

Hahaha, if only I could be so lucky. My plan now is to travel the world until I meet a girl who uses an M and marry her immediately. :p

Just to share, I jumped into the Leica wagon a few days back. I was pretty much bummed with all the dSLRs, I've been switching from Olympus to Canon to Nikon to Pentax, and last was the Sony A900. And man I've tried all the fullframes 5DmkII, D3, and my current dSLR is an A900.

Sure the A900 is great, I love the colours, the rendering, I love the imagestabilization, and such.

But I don't like lugging it around like a burden around my shoulder or on my grip. If you're travelling alot, and walks alot, it'll tire you down quickly. Sure it works just fine for a short occassion, such as birthdays, dinners, etc. But if you need to walk around with it, I suggest not...

Hence, my local dealer had a used M8 for sale, in like new condition, complete with everything... with a great price... so I took the plunge. I went to buy the 50/1.5 ZM Sonnar to go with it. I tried a few days, and I was taken. I went back to my dealer and planned to buy the Summilux 35/1.4, but alas - they were out. So I heard the 35 Summicron is also an awesome small little beast, so I purchased that one, and man, what a lens!

So no, I don't think M8 would be too much. I'm not a pro myself. The only 'too much' when you buy an M8, is "TOO MUCH URGE TO BUY MORE LEICA GLASS!" hahaha.. Sorry to put it in capslock, but the urge oh the urge... is overwhelming! :)

It's easy to use, nice to handle, very light (compared to what I'm using), great picture quality, and there is a sense of 3D-ness (microcontrasts) that I never get using a dSLR..

If you like to shoot manual, then go for an M8 and you will never regret it. I would always look around for used Leica lenses for it to save you a fortune. They last forever. There is absolutely no comparison in the build quality between them and for example the Canon or Nikon mass produced lenses. It is one of the many things which make photography with a Leica so enjoyable. They are tactile and exciting to use. As others have said, be aware of course of its limitations; the M8 is not ideal for telephoto and macro work. For everything else, and in particular "street photography" and catching the moment, it and the M film equivalents, are in a class of their own. They are light and very portable. I agree the most usual comment, if any, is "that's and antique isn't it". Sometimes someone in the know will approach you with a look of envy and ask all about you and your photography! Good luck!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Amanda - your 40D is a good camera (I have two myself). Two things will make you feel better about carrying it around. Remove the awful Canon neckstrap and replace it with a plain black strap (Upstrap is my choice). Second when you carry it with you reverse it on your shoulder so the lens is not sticking straight out but so it is pointed down with it and the prism resting against your side. It will be more inconspicuous and since the lens is tucked down it will not be banging into stuff. I carry my M8.2 "normally" on my shoulder except for the occasions the Noctilux is on it and then I reverse it on my shoulder. If I'm in the middle of shooting something it will be around my neck. On the streets of New York I prefer to hold it in my hand with the strap wrapped around my wrist. Good luck with your decision.

Hello!

Is the M8 a good tool to help teach a beginner? I've handled one and loved the feel and look of it. I'd love to hear from anyone else that had a similar background to me prior to purchasing a M8 and how did they find it. Did the ownership of the Leica and it's more compact styling reignite your desire to shooot and learn???

The used M8 is a significant purchase and want to ensure I make a informed decision to purchase one. I was considering the X1 but the cost is very similar between the 2. If I went X1 can't help but feel I'd be longing for the M8 anyways. Both is not an option.

Does the M8 attract attention when you are out using it?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you may provide ;)

mmanda, welcome to the forum!

Taking your last question first; recognition will vary from country to country. Generally, my Ms go largely unnoticed unless I pass another Leica user. Once I was in a small group of professional photographers shooting an outdoor TV film crew at work. Most of my group were using big noisy DSLRs. I had my M8. At one point one of the 'biggies' turned round and said, "That's a quiet camera. Oh, it's a Leica!" You can see one of my shots taken at that event on my website (Leica page)

Now to comment on your main question. I think you would find that you can learn a lot from using an M8. Not only is it very flexible, with mostly manual settings, but you have the advantage of assessing your shots straight away and thereby are able to make corrections as you go along. From your previous experience of using a system camera, the M8 allows you to use a wonderful range of lenses, within limitations. One is the lack of convenient close-up or macro photography; while the other is the limitation to a maximum of 135mm focal lengths, unless you use the rather inconvenient Visoflex system, only available secondhand. Remember the M cameras are relatively compact cameras and more likely to accompany you on your travels. I hope that helps you make up your mind.

I was in the same position as you. I bought an M8 in December, got all crazy on lenses, and loved it....for a while.

Suddenly I felt that it's crazy using so much money on one camera with a couple of lenses. I also missed the opportunity to have AF. I felt it was hard sometimes to focus, especially in the dark. And by the time you put on some serious lenses, the package weights more than a DSLR (the M8 and the 50 lux is a heavy weighter). And because of the price, I felt I had to be really careful with it, treating it like a baby, and had trouble bringing it to different situations cause of the price.

I also thought the software was crap. Transferring files to my Mac took forever, previewing pics took too much time, and batterytime sucked (compared to my D700).

I sold my M8, my 50 lux and my 24 Elmarit - Bought a D700 with a 24-70 2.8 and a 50mm 1.4 (which is my favourite) and love it. I also bought an X1, for easy travelling.

All this for MUCH less than my Leica M8 plus lenses.

So, now I have a full frame, fantastic camera, a couple of decent lenses ( although I'm gonna buy some Zeiss glass) and an X1 and I couldn't be happier.

Is the M8 a good tool to help teach a beginner?

Did the ownership of the Leica and it's more compact styling reignite your desire to shooot and learn???

Does the M8 attract attention when you are out using it?

1 - If you want to learn photography, there is no need to spend $4000 for a used M8. You can buy a basic non-automatic film camera for $50. Get a couple of lenses. Before you do anything, read a book all about photography, and then make sure that you REALLY want to learn all that stuff, rather than just press the button. If you enjoy doing today, what many of us had to do 50 years ago, great. Most people just want to press the button and have a perfect photo seconds later. Only you can decide if you really want to do everything manually - or will this desire wear off once you see how much "trouble" it is. (And if you do get one for learning, why an M8 rather than a film Leica?)

2 - If you enjoy those things, the M8 styling and technique is wonderful for that kind of photography. For me, I already had the desire to shoot this way, and I know from before that the Leica M cameras are wonderful for that kind of photography.

3 - In the US the M8 does seem to attract attention, but mostly from people wondering why I'm using such an old or silly camera.

I also thought the software was crap. Transferring files to my Mac took forever,

:confused::confused: There is no Leica M8 software. You can use Lightroom, C1, CS4,Picasa,Aperture or anything else that takes your fancy. So this is a profoundly amazing remark. And transferring files:confused: Did you really use USB instead of a cardreader? You must be the only user who did that.

:confused::confused: There is no Leica M8 software. You can use Lightroom, C1, CS4,Picasa,Aperture or anything else that takes your fancy. So this is a profoundly amazing remark. And transferring files:confused: Did you really use USB instead of a cardreader? You must be the only user who did that.

HAHAHa

1- (And if you do get one for learning, why an M8 rather than a film Leica?)

2 - If you enjoy those things, the M8 styling and technique is wonderful for that kind of photography. For me, I already had the desire to shoot this way, and I know from before that the Leica M cameras are wonderful for that kind of photography.

Why not film? I like the instant gratification digital brings. I have no interest in spending extra $ on film and processing. I don't know anyone to learn processing technique from, nor do I have the room at home to even contemplate having darkroom equipment.

The only way I'll learn is from digital!

I've already lined up a M8 locally and am trading my Canon gear in. I'm going to pick up the Voigtlander 1.4 Nokton and start out with that as my gear. Will see how I go. I'm also going to join a local photography tuition day where you travel around Melbourne with a well known pro-photographer learning technique and workshoping ideas. He also views your work and you gain on the spot critique. Sounds like fun. Also means i'll meet new people like me that want to learn.

I'm going to have to put myself out there in order to learn.. ie post photos, ask questions and be open to critique - which isnt always easy to handle :rolleyes:

I'd like to THANK everyone for their comments and thoughts. You have all helped immensely. :D:D:D

P.S I also have a Pano LX3 so I do have a nice little P&S for those 'lazy' moments

Edited by mmanda
Added the P.S statement

What I meant was that the processor in the camera is slow. And yes, I had to use an external cardreader, because the camera transferring is way too slow. Plugging a USB into my D700 is much, much faster!

C

I shoot with my M8 mostly in China on people I do not know in small alleys or poor side of the city. I believe they all think I am using my grandfather's camera therefore are less resistent to let me take the shot. Yeah, with this 'old-fashion' thing in hand this guy must not be a journalist who would publish the shot! Then the fun is showing them the pictures on the LCD afterwards, they just smile (realizing it's a modern camera), start to chat and let me continue. What an ice-breaker!:)

I was in the same position as you. I bought an M8 in December, got all crazy on lenses, and loved it....for a while.

Suddenly I felt that it's crazy using so much money on one camera with a couple of lenses. I also missed the opportunity to have AF. I felt it was hard sometimes to focus, especially in the dark. And by the time you put on some serious lenses, the package weights more than a DSLR (the M8 and the 50 lux is a heavy weighter). And because of the price, I felt I had to be really careful with it, treating it like a baby, and had trouble bringing it to different situations cause of the price.

I also thought the software was crap. Transferring files to my Mac took forever, previewing pics took too much time, and batterytime sucked (compared to my D700).

I sold my M8, my 50 lux and my 24 Elmarit - Bought a D700 with a 24-70 2.8 and a 50mm 1.4 (which is my favourite) and love it. I also bought an X1, for easy travelling.

All this for MUCH less than my Leica M8 plus lenses.

So, now I have a full frame, fantastic camera, a couple of decent lenses ( although I'm gonna buy some Zeiss glass) and an X1 and I couldn't be happier.

Ok, you bought an M8, got crazy on lenses, felt it was too heavy, didn't feel comfortable taking it certain places, felt you needed to baby it, had computer problems. Then, you freaked out because you spent too much money on it. So, post haste, you sold it, bought a D700 and some huge zoom and another lens. All, inside of three months? But, you know for sure now that you aren't going to decide the Nikon is crazy and sell it in a couple of weeks for something else.

I point this out for the OP. This exactly why people here are suggesting you start slowly. Get a used M8 and one lens like an excellent used 28mm. Shoot it for at least 6-months and then reassess at that time. By that time you will really understand the camera and what you got into. Then, you can answer your own question and if Leica isn't for you, like Clandrel found, then you could sell it and probably not lose any money. But, I'd bet you would love it.

I point this out for the OP. This exactly why people here are suggesting you start slowly. Get a used M8 and one lens like an excellent used 28mm. Shoot it for at least 6-months and then reassess at that time. By that time you will really understand the camera and what you got into. Then, you can answer your own question and if Leica isn't for you, like Clandrel found, then you could sell it and probably not lose any money. But, I'd bet you would love it.

+1 again. im on my 3rd month. my leica finds my way into my bag for every trip (every thursday, friday, saturday of every week). however, i have found myself the past few weeks bringing my point and shoot. there are some things the leica just doesnt do well for me. one of them is snap shots out the window of the plane while im the pilot.

ive also gotten over the ' baby it ' syndrome. now i just use it (not abuse it) and dont worry. if it gets a nick here or there so be it.

i love shooting with this camera, i love the feeling i get from taking my time, relaxing really thinking and working hard to compose a better shot. the automatics make it so easy to blaze a ton of shots that i found myself going home with a full disk of crappy snap shots. not that the leica has turned me into ansel adam, but i am having fun with it. plus once in a while i come back with a photo and say " wow, never could have done that with my point and shoot or dslr". there is just something to that leica glass and when it all comes together you capture something truly magical.

i will add, as much as i love it, the 50 is way too tight on the m8 for me. it will probably spend a lot of time on the camera when im in the field, but for around the house, in the hotel or lobby, or even in a restaurant, its tight.

i only wish i would have sprung for this treat before the holidays when i take a ton of photos.

I hear you loud and clear. This will take some commitment from me. Which is why I originally created this thread... to gain experiences from other people that may have started out like I am.

There is no right or wrong answers. Clandrel shared their experience with me and I'm pleased to have read his/her experiences with the Leica. All other experiences were quite favourable which is to be expected on a Leica forum ;)

This is a lot of money. So I can understand that maybe some people would worry about the investment.

I love watches, so I am used to bashing a expensive timepiece into a door frame by accident and the associated feelings of that act when you see a new dent in the case or bezel!

Not that the M8 will get bashed into a door frame :eek:

Guest Chris M

Only you can answer that question;) , I would suggest that you borrow and or rent one first to see if you even like it. there is a substanial financial cost to get into this. And remember there are certain restrictions that comes with shooting a digital rangefinder such as the M8 compared to DSLR's. I love my M8, but my father got me into it when I was only 8 years old with his leica IIIc/f, which I still use to this day. I only no rangefinder cameras. what a shame ha ;) LOL

chris m.