Is the new M8 firmware just around the corner?

jaay

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Runours seem to be hotting up on the M9 forum that their new firmware could be available within the next week or so - with some confirmation from Leica. Any ideas from those who've had emails from customer services about the M8 update? If we get an M9 one and no M8 I will begin to doubt the much promised fixes for the high iso banding and shutter errors will ever materialise....

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd expect the M8 firmware shortly after the M9 firmware is released. Several people have been told by Leica there will be an M8 firmware fix for certain existing problems but I don't expect to see much if anything extra (à la M9) for free if at all.

American wisdom has a say "dont make too little too late"

Just a reminder of the M8 upgrade.

we all know that the M8 owners is the backbone- and they are the hardcores- of Leica M system that made possible the M system to enter and survive in the Digital market.

1/interval iso 100-250-400-800-1000

2/protect button to become iso change button and quick EV setting.

3/manual lens setting

4/unlock the DNG compression-yes it will record slower ,we know.

5/posible hardware upgrade for less noise in high iso-will be descent act.

some people love and take serious advantage of the 1,33 crop factor,we are cool with that.

After all what makes a digital camera worth 4500-5000 euros is its ability to survive in time and conditions.

Edited by Angelos Viskadourakis

I admire the optimism but I suspect the long promised firmware update will never appear. I suspect leica stopped working on anything M8 ages ago. as it is the new m9 firmware only promises fixes for some lenses so yet another firmware will have to be in development for the rest. Also the x1 needs an update and I can't even comment on the S2! However I hope I'm proved wrong next week...

I admire the optimism but I suspect the long promised firmware update will never appear. I suspect leica stopped working on anything M8 ages ago. as it is the new m9 firmware only promises fixes for some lenses so yet another firmware will have to be in development for the rest. Also the x1 needs an update and I can't even comment on the S2! However I hope I'm proved wrong next week...

So maybe I'm a glass half-full kinda guy but I do believe the M8 will also get an update. Maybe not by Monday, but sooner rather than later.

After all, isn't the firmware done by Jenoptik, not Leica, in the digital M case? It shouldn't draw resources away from the M9 or S2 or X1...

I am confident that there will be a new firmware version for the M8 to cope with the problem of red shift with certain wide angles. Even when this problem is mainly discussed as one of the M9, the M8 has it as well or bad and M8 users wait longer for a solution than most M9ers.

If Leica would introduce new lenses with new 6bit codes there will be a necessity for firmware-update as well.

if the new firmware /hardware upgrade is about the "red corners" only is a bad taste joke.

Is the digital M products going to last at least as much as expected according to the pricing policy or is a hardly two years digital machine????

"Too Little Too Late" will not look nice in the future.

We are running out of time.

Stefan Daniel said that:

1) a general firmware update is planned for the M8; and

2) additional changes to give it some of the M9 functionality might also be offered on a pay basis.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/106332-new-q-session-stefan-daniel.html#post1122604

I don't believe we really had any awareness of a red-edge problem with the M8 until after the M9 showed it to us, did we? I doubt that's what this is about.

There's nothing wrong with speculating on what the M8 update might include or when it might come. :)

But please don't argue that there won't be at least one more M8 firmware update. :(

Edited by ho_co

Stefan Daniel said that:

1) a general firmware update is planned for the M8; and

2) additional changes to give it some of the M9 functionality might also be offered on a pay basis.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/106332-new-q-session-stefan-daniel.html#post1122604

I don't believe we really had any awareness of a red-edge problem with the M8 until after the M9 showed it to us, did we? I doubt that's what this is about.

There's nothing wrong with speculating on what the M8 update might include or when it might come. :)

But please don't argue that there won't be at least one more M8 firmware update. :(

We had plenty of awareness of the red shift firmware over compensation way before the M9...

Guest BigSplash

Leica stopped shipping M8 and M8.2 only last year. If they now do not support firmware upgrades for this camera to fix problems that Leica have been aware of since many months then it is clear to me that Leica:

1. Is not serving a loyal client base that expects support long after purchase of a £4000 camera body ........plus the lenses!
  2. Has no clue about serving a digital camera market that is closely related to software, upgrades, patches etc. and working with 3rd parties such as Adobe.
  3. Is missing an opportunity to offer (at a price) upgrades that give extra features found on the M9 (and eventual M10)
  4. Has broken its marketing message that the M8 would be upgradeable. This was the message that Leica CEO at the time ( S.Lee) heavily promoted and as far as I am aware this commitment has not been rescinded. I guess to do so would be at best damaging to Leica's reputation, and at worst ..........

I think that it is very important that Leica releases Firmware in 2010, 2011, and beyond. They should also make their intentions much clearer than they have so far. The M8 is a great camera and I enjoy it very much. I see increasingly that it can give many years of service especially if latest issues can be fixed by a simple firmware upgrade.

Leica released FW 1.3 for the DMR long after they'd sold the last one AND long after they'd fallen out with Hasselblad.

So, there's hope for you yet, Frank.

But don't expect fw updates in 2012, 2013, 2014...

What will most likely happen is that you will get one last hurrah fw update and then that's your lot.

I suppose there will be at least one firmware upgrade fixing bugs (and maybe adding new features, although that’s uncertain and might also be part of a paid upgrade) and further upgrades adding new lenses whenever necessary.