Summicron 35mm first type: any info

Guest Ron (Netherlands)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...Maybe wizard, with its even more recent serial number will be able to report if he can observe the same thing I was showing on the picts I posted earlier. Weird, or normal for a v1 35 f/2 from 1969 on?...

No, my sample has a perfectly centered black index dot. And I believe this is how it should be. Actually, your non.centered black dot may come from a) an oversight when assembling the lens or, more likely, from B) the lens having been serviced (e.g. cleaned) by someone who then did not pay full attention when reassembling the lens.

The amount of decentering (of the black dot) on your lens is small, but it is noticeable and in my view too big to be considered a production tolerance. You may want to try and simply srew the lens head of your lens in a little bit further, perhaps it was just not screwed in tight enough. I know from other Leica lenses (3-element Elmar 90, first version Summicron 50 rigid) that matching the black index dot with the rest of the numbering is basically a question of screwing the lens head in more or less, assuming that the lens is not completely 'off' (I have also seen lenses with the black dot at a completely 'off' position, usually an indication of the lens having been disassembled and incorrectly reassembled).

Regards,

Andy

Edited by wizard

Guest Ron (Netherlands)
(I have also seen lenses with the black dot at a completely 'off' position, usually an indication of the lens having been disassembled and incorrectly reassembled).

Mine from 1968 is also perfectly aligned. However this one (which picture I found at Ebay) is quite a bit off centered:

summi%20off%20centred.JPG

As Andy also suggests, I think most probably this is due to - bad - servicing.