Summicron 35mm first type: any info

Guest Ron (Netherlands)

Guest Ron (Netherlands)
there is one v1 35mm in black in the "Anzeigenmarkt" ;-)

best regards Marc

You mean the one that you enlisted for EUR 3000?

Few days ago there was one in near mint condition on Ebay at much lower pricing, but I was to late for that one :-()

You mean the one that you enlisted for EUR 3000?

Few days ago there was one in near mint condition on Ebay at much lower pricing, but I was to late for that one :-()

Hi Ron!

Do you have seen a v1 black in mint for a lower price? The last one I have seen on ebay was sold for 3600.

best regards :-)

Marc

Guest Ron (Netherlands)
Hi Ron!

Do you have seen a v1 black in mint for a lower price? The last one I have seen on ebay was sold for 3600.

best regards :-)

Marc

I did't say mint, but latest sale was for nr. 1656198 at Euro 1955.

Which number are you referring to?

I know that Arsenal is asking prices way beyond what would be considered realistic.

If the lens is easier to make it is less expensive and Leitz makes more profit.

The deep curves needed with lower refractive glasses were reduced when a higher refractive glass was used, the off axis abberations are controlled by the inverse of the radius of the curves. This allowed the number of elements to be reduced.

Deep curves are more difficult to produce...

Many of the glass types have only a transitory existence as preferred glasses in the glass suppliers catalogues e.g. the lead and thorium glasses were eventually regarded as too toxic to manufacture as molten or work with diamond power paste.

Noel

Hi,

Sorry to derail this a little.

I bought a 35mm Summicron ASPH LTM (made in Germany)

Serial number: 3878XXX

It has a brass mount, chrome finish and heavy.

Minimum focusing of 1 meter.

Does anyone know anything about this lens?

I'm wanting to trade it in for a new 35mm Summilux ASPH and am unsure as to whether to do so or not.

Any opinions/advice would be most appreciated.

Guest Ron (Netherlands)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

Sorry to derail this a little.

I bought a 35mm Summicron ASPH LTM (made in Germany)

Serial number: 3878XXX

It has a brass mount, chrome finish and heavy.

Minimum focusing of 1 meter.

Does anyone know anything about this lens?

I'm wanting to trade it in for a new 35mm Summilux ASPH and am unsure as to whether to do so or not.

Any opinions/advice would be most appreciated.

Hello LLT, welcom to this thread. If you consider the summicron 35mm asph already as heavy, then do not trade it in for the summilux 35mm asph, it is almost twice the weight of the summicron. Further because of this difference in weight I prefer the summicrons 35mm in stead of the summiluxes, although this is of course not true for the first type summiluxes, they are very small!, but .....less sharp than the early summicrons.

Hello LLT, welcom to this thread. If you consider the summicron 35mm asph already as heavy, then do not trade it in for the summilux 35mm asph, it is almost twice the weight of the summicron. Further because of this difference in weight I prefer the summicrons 35mm in stead of the summiluxes, although this is of course not true for the first type summiluxes, they are very small!, but .....less sharp than the early summicrons.

Thanks for your advice Ron. The weight doesn't bother me all that much. It's the minimum focus distance. On the 35mm Summicron ASPH LTM that I have, the minimum focusing distance is 1 meter. The new lenses are 0.7 meters. I'm not sure however though if gaining 0.3 meters warrants spending US$3K.

On the 35mm Summicron ASPH LTM that I have, the minimum focusing distance is 1 meter. The new lenses are 0.7 meters.

The 1 meter minimum focusing distance of your lens is due to the fact that it is the LTM version of the current 35 asph. lens. Your lens originates from a special batch of lenses produced by Leica a few years ago and intended to give Leica screw mount cameras access to Leica's then latest lens technology. As the rangefinder in Leica screw mount cameras only focuses down to 1m, the minimum focusing distance of all lenses of these special edition lenses (the Summicron 50 and the Summilux 50 were also available) was increased to 1m (from 0.7m). These lenses are by no means old lenses, they correspond exactly to their M-bayonet counterparts but for the LTM mount and increased minimum focusing distance. They are actually collectors items and come very handy if you happen to own both LTM and M Leicas.

Andy

The 1 meter minimum focusing distance of your lens is due to the fact that it is the LTM version of the current 35 asph. lens. Your lens originates from a special batch of lenses produced by Leica a few years ago and intended to give Leica screw mount cameras access to Leica's then latest lens technology. As the rangefinder in Leica screw mount cameras only focuses down to 1m, the minimum focusing distance of all lenses of these special edition lenses (the Summicron 50 and the Summilux 50 were also available) was increased to 1m (from 0.7m). These lenses are by no means old lenses, they correspond exactly to their M-bayonet counterparts but for the LTM mount and increased minimum focusing distance. They are actually collectors items and come very handy if you happen to own both LTM and M Leicas.

Andy

Agree completely. Have one of these, use it on my IIIg and with an adapter on the film and digital M's i.e. M8u and M9. That is why I bought the LTM version.

Teddy

• 1 month later...
Guest Ron (Netherlands)

Other question: were there any 1st type Summicrons on the market with a convertible LTM-M mount, like those early Summarons? If so, would that convertible mount look like this one? It is a photo of the mount of a very early 1st type Summicron, which from the look already quite differs from the ones with higher serialnumbers:

ltm%20m%20back.jpg

Afaik, the lenses with factory fitted LTM/M adapter are distinguible for the adapter is secured by a tiny screw around the mount (I have a Summaron and a Super Angulon this way - on the Summicron 90 it was glued) : is there one on the above item ?

I haven't here my 1st series Summicron... so I cannot compare its back with yours... what is the difference you notice ?

Hi

The lux will not match the cron type I wide open but will be indistinguishable from f/5.6 or smaller. You need a hood for either lens through. The lux was a statement lens, when competing with Canon LTMs....

The best hood for the lux is the type IV cron hood (rectangular) it almost behaves as a normal lens with this hood. If you put a rubber band into the Lux hood groove it will stop the hood rotating.

Noel

Afaik, the lenses with factory fitted LTM/M adapter are distinguible for the adapter is secured by a tiny screw around the mount (I have a Summaron and a Super Angulon this way - on the Summicron 90 it was glued) : is there one on the above item ?

I haven't here my 1st series Summicron... so I cannot compare its back with yours... what is the difference you notice ?

Luigi is right. I have a chrome Canadian Summicron 35/2 version 1 which is exactly as described by Luigi. I purchased it many years ago in order to use it - without the factory fitted M adapter - on a Leica IIIg. In order not to lose the tiny screw, I Scotch taped it onto the bottom of the back cap onto which I also put the M-adapter itself.

The same goes for a Super Angulon 21/f4.

Teddy

Luigi is right. I have a chrome Canadian Summicron 35/2 version 1 which is exactly as described by Luigi. I purchased it many years ago in order to use it - without the factory fitted M adapter - on a Leica IIIg. In order not to lose the tiny screw, I Scotch taped it onto the bottom of the back cap onto which I also put the M-adapter itself.

The same goes for a Super Angulon 21/f4.

Teddy

:) The tiny screw of my SA 21 f4 is Scotch taped on the bottom of the bakelite box...:)

Guest Ron (Netherlands)

Sorry Luigi, the photo is not of a lens in my collection so I don't know whether there is a tiny screw above or on the lensmount. However seeing this photo I noticed that the outer part of the M-mount - which seems to be of plain steel - does enclose another part made of plain steel - the part with the groves. It seems that this inner tube of plain steel is no part of the later summicrons.

Hello Ron,

My lens, M chrome w/ goggles #199**** Wetzlar bought new not that far from the factory, marked .7/28 but focuses a touch closer than .65/26, has a single thicker chrome plated brass outer portion. Blackened brass and optics the same as your photo.

As an additional note: Black lenses w/goggles were also made to a number of mechanical and optical specifications.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
Clarification
  • Like 1

That's my 1.971.229 , WITH the factory fitted BM adapter (see the tiny screw in the 2nd pic)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest Ron (Netherlands)

Thank you Michael and Luigi. Indeed the picture I posted seems to show just a thick single barrel, were the photo of Luigi indeed shows a different view of the convertible mount.

What I further noticed between early and later 1st type summicrons is that although the meterscale is the same with these cameras, they have a different feet scale.

The scale on my 1968 production lens is as follows (feet numbers here not exactly put under the corresponding meter numbers):

m: 0.7 0.8 0.9 1 1.2 1.5 2 3 5 10

f: 28" 32" 36" 3'4" 4 5 6 8 10 15 25

Edited by Ron (Netherlands)

Thank you Michael and Luigi. Indeed the picture I posted seems to show just a thick single barrel, were the photo of Luigi indeed shows a different view of the convertible mount.

Do you think they are different ? I tried to make another pic very similar to the one you posted...:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!