Just acquired Leica 1 Model C

dkCambridgeshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today received a Leica 1 Model C standard mount manufactured 1931 and all working ... shutter speeds seem to be ok ... nice Wabi ... and best of all it is ergonomically superb ... fits my hand like a glove.

Looking forward to using it but really need to get a period Elmar lens to match it ... not sure whether to go for the 35mm or the 50mm. I have a Summitar and a 50/2.8 Elmar but they would be a bit out of place.

Very pleased to have found the camera as have been looking out for one for ages ... now it's arrived can see why the early Leicas set the pace for 35mm film photography and the quality of manufacture is very impressive ... it is 75 years young and looks as if it could still be giving good service in another 75 years time.

So .. reading up on early Elmars ... have seen a couple already ... bare bones photography beckons.

Dunk

Dunk,

Excellent to see more and more LTM users on the forum. They are becoming rather fashionable all of a sudden. Maybe its a reaction of some sort to the progress of the M8!

See the thread re. the lllC and lllf's. I would strongly suggest you look at the 5cm 3.5 Elmar. It took me 20 years to get around to buying one for my lllf (it came with an imperfect Summar and I recently added a VC 25mm). The quality of the Elmar is quite amazing really, and aesthetically it is a perfect match - makes such a pocketable outfit.

I recently bought a 2.8 Elmar, which I've yet to test. Its a lovely lens but even that is a monster in terms of size and weight compared to the 3.5!!

You could look for a clean period uncoated example but I would suggest you sacrifice some originality and look for a later coated lens or even a Red Scale, especially if you ever want to shoot colour (they were factory coated from 1941/2 apparently).

Please post your photos from it at some point.

This is all new territory for me ... just tried my 35mm albada finder and it does not fit ... so need another 35mm finder that does if a 3.5cm Elmar is chosen ... I don't wish to use a universal type finder ... will have to do some homework and check my Collectors Guide.

Thanks James ... yes a coated lens would be better ... As yet I do not have a scanner but when obtained will be able to post. I have 3 screw Leicas ... IIIC converted to IIIf, IIIg plus the 1 Model C ... these cover the main types of screw Leica.

Dunk

Today received a Leica 1 Model C standard mount manufactured 1931 and all working ... shutter speeds seem to be ok ... nice Wabi ... and best of all it is ergonomically superb ... fits my hand like a glove.....Very pleased to have found the camera as have been looking out for one for ages ... now it's arrived can see why the early Leicas set the pace for 35mm film photography and the quality of manufacture is very impressive ... it is 75 years young and looks as if it could still be giving good service in another 75 years time ... bare bones photography beckons.

Way to go Dunk! Love your last phrase "bare bones photography beckons". That's the whole early-model thing in a nutshell. I've an O-serie without the rangefinder turret and with the foolproof-but-busy pin-set shutter wheel. I knew I'd enjoy it's simplicity but had no idea HOW MUCH!! This early stuff is heaven in hand and eye - particularly with a tiny Elmar which allows the so-practical no-nose leather case. Do get the 3.5 ... and Long Live Bare Bones~

Bruce

Well ... I admit I'm cheating with a new old camera, but it's the thought that counts.