Show me your camera bags!

Gotham Historian

Ha! :)

If all else fails I'll probably just sew the Billingham badge back on... I suppose. :)

In reverse? :rolleyes:

You could get a police badge here http://www.kellybadge.co.uk/Stock/Police.htm and stick it on ... " XXXXXX Constabulary Forensic Photography Division "

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough

it leaves some pucker marks from the thread (which will probably fade over time) and a fairly noticeable glue patch which is more annoying (though not as annoying as the big Billingham patch). Had anyone had any experience in removing this? Can anyone recommend a solvent?

Not sure if it will work on Billingham canvas, but we recently removed chewing gum from the material part of trainer shoes using WD-40 spray. It didn't leave any mark. May be worth a try - perhaps test on the base of the bag first.

Cheers

Mike

Disclaimer! No guarantee of suitability given or implied! ;-)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure if it will work on Billingham canvas, but we recently removed chewing gum from the material part of trainer shoes using WD-40 spray. It didn't leave any mark. May be worth a try - perhaps test on the base of the bag first.

Cheers

Mike

Disclaimer! No guarantee of suitability given or implied! ;-)

Tip I got from the Fogg website (under 'care and maintenance') - repeated dabbing with blue tack - the stuff you use to stick posters to the walls. Apparently, it sucks out stains. [i use a Fogg Diva.]

http://polemics-poems-pictures.blogspot.com/

Edited by drjon
forgot to include web site address

Small update, I've been working my way up through the various products recommended. I can confirm that blu-tack does nothing! Loctite Universal Glue Remover may or may not have been helping, if it was then it wasn't helping fast. WD40 didn't seem to have much effect. Ronsonol lighter fluid though... heh, yeah, that worked! :)

I don't imagine it did much good to the waterproof seal on the canvas though.

Anyway, the bag's now in the wash, being put through the wool cycle. I will return with photographic evidence once it's dry. The area around the glue patch is now quite scuffed from the scraping required to remove the glue (softened by the solvent).

For completeness of information, the advice I got from Billingham was as follows:

I would not advise you to use any solvents on the canvas. You can try and pick the glue off that may remove it without damaging the canvas but if this does not work then you may need to return it back to our office.

I decided to obliterate the Billingham logo on my Hadley today and did so using abrasive paper folded to make it 1cm width ... after 5 minutes rubbing the logo was gone ... with the leather patch still attached to the bag. A bit of Brookes leather dressing will finish the leather nicely.

dunk

Ah now that's clever - nice alternative to my method!

What would be really clever is a method to disguise the bag so it doesn't look like a bag. Problem is....disguise the bag to look like what? Pair of shoes, maybe a hat, what about a scarf?

This is my Fogg Bag....in disguise (D3S and Nikkor 85mm 1.4). The bag on the chair is a decoy, the cameras are all in the small black case in the foreground.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 1

To be fair, the size the Nikon D3 is I really thought you would be having to take the chair out with it stored inside! :D

I took the picture with the D3S+85mm, but you are quite right, the D3S is normally disguised as the chair. And the M8 is disguised as the spare D3S battery.

• Haha 1

I apologise for monopolising this thread but I thought some people might like to see the end result of my Billingham patch removal shenanigans.

Image 1 - the walking advert

4408991164_2c3e39c5aa.jpg

Image 2 - the anti-branding aftermath

4408991482_7e3c6f89ac.jpg

Image 3 - the end result of my glue removal efforts

4408992522_4ff2739c9b.jpg

Image 4 - the patch has been sewn back on again, but reversed.

4408226957_07f5a86424.jpg

I'm undecided as to whether I prefer the bag with the plain patch or the patchless bag with scuff marks. My ideal would of course have been no redundant patch to begin with. Anyway, I shall leave it like this until the rest of the bag is sufficiently beaten up that the patch removal scuff marks blend in a bit more.

• Like 1

*sigh* you're right

OK, how about now?

4410616908_d73dae53ba.jpg

Some progress, but this looks like a Trojan Bag, that is, it looks like an M8 in disguise, but in fact there's a Big Canon waiting to get out. But the nappy was a nice touch.