M9 and SF20 Flash Unit: Compatibility?

BizProf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a Leica SF 20 flash unit which I purchased 5 years ago when I bought my M7. As far as I can tell, this flash cannot be used in TTL mode with the M9. Instead, it can only be used in "A" mode--where the flash output is controlled by selecting an aperture setting on the flash itself, and then matching that on the lens. Do I have this right? If so, is the TTL function important enough to justify upgrading to the SF 24D?

Yes, you have this right. I find A mode on decent flashes works fine with the M9, and you avoid the annoying preflash(es). However I find it quite practical to use TTL on the SF24D when doing fill-flash.

Yes, you have this right. I find A mode on decent flashes works fine with the M9, and you avoid the annoying preflash(es). However I find it quite practical to use TTL on the SF24D when doing fill-flash.

I suppose that's the real issue: Not whether the SF20 works with the M9, but how well it works as a fill-in flash without the TTL feature. Seems to me this will be major drawback with my new M9. Is that a reasonable assumption?

I wouldn't call it a major drawback. I use an old Metz flash as well, and do fill-flash the old-fashioned way, by setting the camera 1 to 2 stops up from the flash output and it works perfectly. The only advantage of TTL is that it is a bit more precise and the camera-flash combo takes over part of the thinking. But mainly the SF24D comes along because it is small.

The SF20 works well on the M9 on Auto if you make it or the M9 give 2 stops more exposure. I'm not why this is so, but its the same if I use my Olympus FL36 or FL50 flash guns with the M9, they need to be set for more than the assumed exposure.

Steve

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The SF20 works well on the M9 on Auto if you make it or the M9 give 2 stops more exposure. I'm not why this is so, but its the same if I use my Olympus FL36 or FL50 flash guns with the M9, they need to be set for more than the assumed exposure.

Steve

This is how I use my SF20 on the M9. Normally ISO 320, Auto exposure, and EV+2.

Please note this thread:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/110096-m9-sf-20-a.html

This normally ensures a good exposure.

Big problem is... I don't know why you should use EV+2! :confused:

And... I don't know what really happens when dialing in EV+2 on the M9. Aperture is not changed (manually set on lens) exposure time is not changed. Could it be you shoot like using ISO 1280 instead of 320? :confused:

I also tried other flash set to Auto and you need EV+2 with those as well. Has anybody tried SF24 in Auto mode?

Using the SF20 on my M6 or M7 don't need exposure compensation!!!

Tyhe SF24D used on the M9 on auto underexposes- whatever you do, whether compensating on the camera, the flash, or both. On GNC it works perfectly.

Thank you Jaap,

As always you are fast to help and explain on most questions.

Do you have an answer/explanation to my second question:

And... I don't know what really happens when dialing in EV+2 on the M9. Aperture is not changed (manually set on lens) exposure time is not changed. Could it be you shoot like using ISO 1280 instead of 320? :confused:

I really don't know. I tried it and it simply did not react to compensations. The way to correct is obviously to go to manual exposure andplay with the aperture..

Oh yes, it do compensate!

Using the SF20 or any other flash in Auto-mode without compensation gives pretty exact two steps underexposure.

Dialing in EV+2 on the M9 gives a very correct exposure.

It is not possible to adjust SF20 to EV+ only EV-.

But my question is more general: How does using EV+2 affect the camera (even when not using flash), when either the aperture or the exposure time is affected?

If the signal is amplified four times like using higher ISO value, you should be able to notice this on the noise in picture. Or?

I'm happy it works OK, but pretty disappointed I can't understand how, please help :)

• 7 years later...

I recently added an SF 20 to my bag, and the first thing I noticed is, as it is said in this forum, that the AUTO function of the SF20 underexposes. In my case 1.3 EV.

Surprisingly the exposure compensation on the M8 and M9 is operational with the flash lighting.
The mechanism is that the camera "forces" the flash to emit more power if the compensation is positive. (on the contrary, if it is negative).
It is easy to check with a flash meter. Same composition, same M9 settings, except changing from 0EV to + 3EV. The Gossen Digiflash goes from 10 EV to 13 EV.
Such a large change is also detected "by eye".

regards 
chema
  • Like 1