Which Scanner

smgorsch

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just how much would an X1 go for these days?

Harry

New X1's are around the $12,000 mark I believe. EDIT: make that 13k

I'd love one of these also, but realistically would have to opt for a used older Flextight model. Anyone know whether they are:

- reliable as they get older? (and do they need regular servicing?)

- any good, compared to the newer models?

Edited by plasticman

I do not care what you read in shutterbug I once bought a epson scanner on there advice ti was junk. I use a nikon 5000 and 9000, they both do a good job the 9000 is better, i believe because of the light source less imperfections show up in the scans. The 5000 is for bulk slides from my old library of work. The 9000 for black and white negs and medidm format.

I downloaded the free trial of VueScan and it works fine. Now to decide whether to sell the scanner knowing it functions normally, or buy an M6!

Pete

Of course you know the answer already :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had Epson V700, sold it just after I've found and bought Minolta Elite 5400. Cannot compare these two as they have different level of picture on 135 film. If you have medium film camera and you want to scan 120 film - you can consider V700, but V750 PRO will be better investmemt.

for 135 film only I suggest to go into dedicated film scanner ie Minolta/Nikon.

for the scanner look for optical density/range as main quality parameter. EPSON V700 has Dmax = 4, Minolta 5400 Elite = 4.8 which is a big difference in details and shadows.

...if it can interest someone, I'm currently testing the Epson scanner versus Nikon Coolsan here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/film-forum/160651-epson-v700-750-very-good-our.html

and I can tell you that in b&w , I prefer the Epson

because it goes beyond 14 bits and 4000 dpi of Nikon scanner

Regards

Henry

Guest Ron (Netherlands)

Coolscan 9000 best for 35mm & medium format, but because I ran out of my budget, I was looking for a less costly solution. After quite a while I found a nice Coolscan 8000..., almost comparable to the 9000 regarding specs, .... but be aware, they are not easy found.

• 2 weeks later...
A second hand scanner should come with all the tutorial discs which will take some time to watch, absorb and put into practice and ultimately you'll work out your own workflow, set up your own profiles - either by tweaking settings from the included profiles or starting from scratch (I think just about every film made is available in the extended list).

However, it sounds to me as if you're considering buying new. If this is the case you are in luck as you will receive a one-to-one tutorial on delivery - at least you do in the UK by a guy called David Summerfield who was at Imacon before Hasselblad so he knows his stuff. For someone who's never scanned before this will make a big difference and get you on the road to good results much quicker. It helped me as although the interface was almost identical there were a few differences in capability.

The 3F (RAW) feature is great and if you've got the hard drive space, scanning 3F and storing both that and an adjusted TIFF is the way to go. The reason I say that is that the 3F retains all the data (as RAW files should!) but also that it can only be opened in Flexcolour (the Hasselblad software).

Being a photographer in the first place is a great help and carries with it a wealth of knowledge, I'm sure you'll suss it out without too much trouble and over time you'll simply refine things, learn about the idiosyncrasies of various emulsions when put through the scanner and get what you were looking for: great scans!

I almost forgot: When I bought my scanner Hasselblad were doing a promotion on Flextights which saved me a fair amount, it's worth looking into on the related area on their website or calling Hasselblad in your country.

Hope that helps.

Thanks enjoyed your comments.Have you had any experience of the Flexlight 646?

V750 Thread

Interesting. I haven't come across this sort of observation before, which intuitively makes sense and which would be good if true (I'm also considering getting a scanner).

Does anybody here have "real world" images scanned with the epson v750? I realize there are a myriad of variables that can influence the final output but I just want to see a large-ish scan.

Thanks, Peter.

PS. Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.

This has images:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/film-forum/160651-epson-v700-750-very-good-our.html

Both Kodak and Fuji need to realize that if images made on film can't be brought in to the digital world (i.e. the internet, printing etc), at a reasonable cost and at a fairly high level of quality, they are going to have a very serious problem on their hands and film sales will be negatively affected.

Either company really needs to step up and fill the hole left by the departure of the Nikon 5000ED (but with a better film holder...)

• Like 1

Both Kodak and Fuji need to realize that if images made on film can't be brought in to the digital world (i.e. the internet, printing etc), at a reasonable cost and at a fairly high level of quality, they are going to have a very serious problem on their hands and film sales will be negatively affected.

Either company really needs to step up and fill the hole left by the departure of the Nikon 5000ED (but with a better film holder...)

Makes sense to me. Film manufacturers have a vested interest in the continuation of film usage and both companies are capable of manufacturing a good scanner. From the many "scanner" threads here there does seem to be a market.