M8 users UNITE! We need firmware update!

patrick parker

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also the lousy White balance.

You sure you're using latest firmware set to auto WB?

It was the one major thing I worried about before changing over from Nikon digital to the M8 but for me I soon realised I'd had nothing to worry about at all as with auto WB it nails it most of the time, for me anyway.

I'd like to see new firmware too but for now more than happy to forget about it and carry on using this wonderful (if flawed, sure) camera. :)

The more updated and functioning the M8 will be the more Leica will sell new lenses,batteries,viewfinders,chargers,diopters,handles and repairs.Thats it.There are thousands of M8 out there in the hands of very passionate photographers that will use m8 for many more years despite to what some people think and the more updated the M8 will be the more Leica will have sales,is very simple.We buy many more lenses than camera bodies,we keep the same body and experiment with minimum a half dozen of lenses and the M8 bodies are out there and kicking.

Edited by Angelos Viskadourakis

Leica can only benefit from M8 firmware-lots of income

but most is like running a multi million add campaign at 10000 times lower cost.

LCT the proposal of "daleeman"- above post- is obviously a metaphor of how really simple some things can be done sometimes at zero cost if we dont have the time or the money to do it our selves.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...LCT the proposal of "daleeman"- above post- is obviously a metaphor...

If this is a metaphore i agree with you.

...I imagine an X prize for some worthy 19 year old hacker out there could pull the M9 and the M8.2 firmware, look at it and devise some outstanding code. We have thousands of guys and galls out there writing every known worm and attack known to man, I wonder what it would take to pony up an X Prize to get code hacks to compare, enrich and post various FW software loads for cameras...

Actually Stefan said that there would be M8 firmware available shortly..that was in October / November.

Let's see: Stefan said in March 2009 the FF M9 would come out "not in the near future" - which turned out to mean "in six months". Now, when he said "available shortly" in October, and now we have February - could this possibly have meant "in six months", too?

Guessing what Leica Speak actually means has become of of my favourite pastimes over the years! It's such an interesting language! :rolleyes:

Does this prize cover fines and lawyers fees of the hacker? :D

Interesting thought!!!

Given the state of open source development, I image we will see those out there tinkering with code to enhance the doings of many things. It would be to our advantage to have them have a healthy target than doing malicious things with camera updates.

Besides, wishing that Leica would re-invest into the M8 when any real work is going into a M10 by now.... Is a bit of a lost cause, unless they find a real flaw in the code thy already have.

Just some thoughts.

What would you all pay Leica if they offered a paid upgrade to the software?

Lee

Interesting thought!!!

Besides, wishing that Leica would re-invest into the M8 when any real work is going into a M10 by now.... Is a bit of a lost cause, unless they find a real flaw in the code thy already have.

Lee

I think that some highly disrespect Leica. In what sense is a firmware upgrade is a "real work"? It is not far more than a matter of a decision to unlock the compressed Raw of the M8 and not far more than that, to implement iso improvements from the from the M9. Epson did it with the RD-1- they introduced a new camera (RD-1s), sold it for full money, but allowed old users to upgrade to the same specs. Maybe the thought is that Leica are more greedy than other makers? Well, I don't think so. Of course, no camera maker is a charity but investing in one's loyal customers is quit the opposite of being a charity- it is giving new buyers confidence that they are not going to buy something that will get obsolete at the speed of an iphne.

any announcement regarding the Leica M8 upgrade program now that all photographic world society is focusing on photo news-given the PMA event????

Can one of the mods please change this guy's User Name to use proper case instead of upper case? It shouts out of the page and causes the board software to change the column widths to accomodate this humungously long name. Why do people do it?

Edited by stuny

Can one of the mods please change this guy's User Name to use proper case instead of upper case? It shouts out of the page and causes the board software to change the column widths to accomodate this humungously long name. Why do people do it?

hello Mark

what a really weird and unpolite posting.

I 'm a moderator using vbulletin and never notice any problem with the issue you are shouting about.Anything wrong with long names?????my apologies Mark,i'm deeply sad that your screen behaves so strange mine and few million others dont.Have no problem to change to upper ,lower or what ever pleases you,with outside help if you are used to ask for authority assistance,you can always post on the so important topic and send a private message to me or the moderator,but obviously you are not used to work the right way you prefer the shouting about "those guys ,the long names,the upper and lower cases etc"

better post something on the topic and send private messages we will all help you dearest Mark.

Any way Mark do you have to post something related to the topic????

The topic is M8 upgrade.UNITE says the topic obviously someone dislike the topic and post irrelevant subjects.