M8 users UNITE! We need firmware update!

patrick parker

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes you think that Leica aren't working on a firmware update?

I don't think Leica is not working on a new firmware. I think Leica should no longer delay a

program they should have included with the first M8 they built. I've always thought the

coding was a weird way to make money Leica but not sharing something this simple with

M8 users while making it available for the M9 is a bit below the belt. Don't you think?

I wish I had the need for manual lens selection; but I only have one lens (which is already coded) and can't see this changing any time soon due to (lack of) funds. Must be nice to have enough lenses to get frustrated by the lack of manual lens selection.

Funny thing about firmware is that so many have their own idea of what's 'needed' in an update. The only thing I need right now is more time in my life for photography. Wonder if Leica can fix that in the next upgrade?

I wish I had the need for manual lens selection; but I only have one lens (which is already coded) and can't see this changing any time soon due to (lack of) funds. Must be nice to have enough lenses to get frustrated by the lack of manual lens selection.

Funny thing about firmware is that so many have their own idea of what's 'needed' in an update. The only thing I need right now is more time in my life for photography. Wonder if Leica can fix that in the next upgrade?

A firmware or hardware upgrade is not going to give directly more time for photography but will for sure make the time we spent to photograph more quality time.

Regarding another post that finds funny how many personal ideas are proposed i have to remind him that by reading the upgrade post will find that all leica photographers are asking for exactly the same things-some value one thing more and some value another-

plus most or even more correct all proposed functions -no more than six -should be there from day one.Especially on LEICA M-and even more on an M8.

Patrick writing, testing and implementing firmware is not simple, inexpensive or a small thing at all. In fact Stefan Daniel has already said that it was only possible with the M9 because the firmware was all new and expense is the reason that the extra feature you want was not retrofitted to the M8. He has told us that Leica does intend to continue firmware development for the M8 so perhaps some features will be added in the future. That does not guarantee that every wished for feature is possible or practical.

Realistically you would have to expect that an update for the M9 would be a higher priority for Leica. The existing M8 firmware is very well established and stable after all. There are no more new production cameras, or new issues with the mature M8. Anything that gets added to its existing features is more likely to flow from the M9 developments, not a standalone project, in my opinion.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Patrick writing, testing and implementing firmware is not simple, inexpensive or a small thing at all. In fact Stefan Daniel has already said that it was only possible with the M9 because the firmware was all new and expense is the reason that the extra feature you want was not retrofitted to the M8. He has told us that Leica does intend to continue firmware development for the M8 so perhaps some features will be added in the future. That does not guarantee that every wished for feature is possible or practical.

Realistically you would have to expect that an update for the M9 would be a higher priority for Leica. The existing M8 firmware is very well established and stable after all. There are no more new production cameras, or new issues with the mature M8. Anything that gets added to its existing features is more likely to flow from the M9 developments, not a standalone project, in my opinion.

Perhaps you are right Hoppyman or perhaps you are being naive. Maybe there is someone out here who knows enough about firmware development who can tell us if this could have been done at the very beginning or if it is really an expensive or impossible process at this stage.

How come we can't introduce our lenses from the menu and have to send them to Solms for coding? It's a small effort for Leica to fix this.

My suggestion is to go out and enjoy the things that your M8 does do and not worry so much about the things that it doesn't do or you'll spoil the experience for yourself.

Pete.

Patrick this comes down then to whether you accept that Stefan Daniel is truthful or not then. I certainly do. Whether you think that I'm being naive or right is simply opinion and attitude. Unless you have some facts to discredit what we've been told?

I don't know what will be in future updates of course, nor am I a firmware expert. I do have some experience working with engineers integrating new components/systems in military R&D and in-service platforms/systems. It is complex, it is expensive.

I do know that Leica has a track record of adding or improving functionality where possible in previous firmware updates for the M8.

Any future update to the M8 firmware will clearly not directly benefit Leica since the camera was discontinued now five months ago (and presumably production slowed or stopped before then). I won't attract new customers nor any sales. It will be purely a bonus for current owners. That's a nice gesture for owners (including me), that's fine. I don't see any credible business case to suggest that such a gesture ought to be a greater priority than improvements for the M9 firmware (some of which MAY flow on), foreshadowed new lenses, getting the S2 and X1 to market in quantities for example.

Edited by hoppyman

I can't imagine Leica devoting even one more single man-hour towards the M8.

The product cycle is done and the product discontinued.

As much as I'd like some tweaking, as a new M8 owner, I bought in assuming

that there would be no further improvements.

As far as believing Leica or their corporate statements, I'd put about as much faith in theirs

as I would Canon's or Nikon's.

They'll say what they have to say when they need and do what they need when they need to.

Mark

Mark Tomalty Photography Montreal Canada Travel Landscape Stock FineArt

Patrick this comes down then to whether you accept that Stefan Daniel is truthful or not then. I certainly do. Whether you think that I'm being naive or right is simply opinion and attitude. Unless you have some facts to discredit what we've been told?

I don't know what will be in future updates of course, nor am I a firmware expert. I do have some experience working with engineers integrating new components/systems in military R&D and in-service platforms/systems. It is complex, it is expensive.

Dearest Geoff

nobody is discretited,is a convertation and Stefan is one side of the table ,others are the other sides of the table and in commercial transactions you get what you negotiate and what you are determined to take from all sides involved.

Everything can be complicated or impossible if you are not willing or not pushed to do,even camera upgrades,but if you are willing or motivated to solve an issue you can find the solutions and the resources.

M8 is not discontinued in actual and pragmatic terms as is out there in thousands and is one of the most used Leica platforms of all the M lenses at the price we all know.

That will continue for many years ,count minimum 10.

Also M8 is- and will be -the first and most engaged M DIGITAL for many more years.Thats how leica gets benefits,and they are huge as people are buying one body and then many lenses & accesories.Then they service the camera,then they upgrade the camera,that is a constant benefit that lasts way beyond the initial purchase of a new or used camera body.

See in Flickr and you will realize that is the 2nd most use Leica camera -the first is Dlux 4- between 17 Leica models if i remember well with thousands of clicks per day.

R&D in the army is always expensive for other reasons but in general R&D is costly ,in the case of M8 upgrade there is no much R&D if there is any at all ,is applying certain things in the software that already exist and if more process power is needed or if one component needs to be upgraded even better as we can send our M8s in Solms and pay the price.Is all about transaction ethics and what name every company likes to have in the markets.

1/interval ISO 80-250-400-500-800-1000

2/EV change more functional

3/PROTECT useless button to perform ISO changes + EV change

4/manual lens detection

5/lower noise with replacing of componets =paid at SOLMS ???????????

that is more or less what i have gathered from the threads so far.

Edited by Angelos Viskadourakis

How come we can't introduce our lenses from the menu and have to send them to Solms for coding? It's a small effort for Leica to fix this.

Didn't you read all those threads from M9-users complaining about how long it takes for coding lenses? First things first. Customers always know about their priorities.

I think that if mounting and dismounting a lens can rub away a micro thin sharpie sign, it will instantly rub away the tape that is way more thick...

It really depends on how you apply the tape (and the quality of the tape too) Besides applying a long horizontal strip of clear tape on top of the markings, I also layer two vertical ones on the sides to secure it.

So far it has worked well for me, although I have to admit that I rarely mount/dismount the lens (every 2-3 days for sensor blowing) Even if the tape does come off, it's still much easier to replace it than to recode the lens :)

Edited by ashrafazlan

Hi All,

It is my understanding that Leica have replied to a question regarding future firmware updates for the M8 from a forum member and they stated that there would be one in the first quarter of this year. The functionality mentioned was high ISO banding. There could well be a few more features in the release but I believe that Leica have stated that the coding menu cannot be included in the M8 firmware due to space limitations. Perhaps an alternative implemenation could be included but I would not get my hopes up if you are expecting this functionality.

I agree with others that an X1 and then M9 update will both probably be higher up the list of priorities for Leica.