Wireless Remote Control...

Papaduck

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Guys, I'm very new in your company. After a lot of years of expectations I own my first Rangefinder... So I own an almost new M8. Normally I travel a lot with my bike, alone and I need to find a remote control (wireless) so I can put the camera on a tripod and shoot (including myself)... Is there something that you know that I can use??? Thanks in advance!

Certainly we are the wireless triggers...but...

Normally, when I see a landscape that I like, I have to ride off the bike (normally I practice some multi-day off road trips) with full gear (that is difficult to move), put the camera on the tripod, set a mark (on the road) that I would like to be in the picture, so, I have tied the remote control on the bike and fire in the exact moment... With difficult balance, ecc... That's the reason... I used to shoot with the Nikon D1, with such a gadget, and I found it really useful...

The release is threaded and there has been a thread about this.

This thread has something, particularly the 2nd post

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/108051-remote-firing.html

I happen to have a clockwork shutter release from a l-o-n-g time ago. Maybe you could find one on ebay -- or by emailing your photo dealer to look in the used bin.

Edited by wparsonsgisnet

PapaDuck. One option could be to use a pneumatic bulb release, and to cycle over the bulb? This might sound silly, but I am actually trying to be helpful by thinking of solutions. :)

Bill, clockwork release timers are still available. Clockwork shutter release You could use one of these in combination with the M self-timer to give an extra 10 seconds. :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

PapaDuck. One option could be to use a pneumatic bulb release, and to cycle over the bulb? This might sound silly, but I am actually trying to be helpful by thinking of solutions. :)

Bill, clockwork release timers are still available. Clockwork shutter release You could use one of these in combination with the M self-timer to give an extra 10 seconds. :)

The old clockwork release I have is a wind-up and goes about 1 minute. So, we could have about one minute and 12 seconds.... :)

This is not a feature on this camera. You will have to pedal fast to get in the picture with the delays allowed in the timer.

One would think it would have been an easy matter to be able to set a shutter delay for a variety of self-chosen times, given that this is actually computer, but no. The super long bulb release I bought does not thread easily onto the rig.

If you discover something other than the jury-rigged improvised releasing device outlined in a link on a related thread, please share with us.

The Leica M is designed to be used in the hand while looking through the viewfinder, the way I figure, as much as I have wanted to use it otherwise.

First things first...

Thanks to all of you for the interest. Seems that there's not an easy solutio to this... Maybe really a servo or something like that, I'll search aout it... This means that no tradiional camera has something like this at all...

The point is that is difficult to ride a 250kgs bike and beeing in the right point in exactly the right moment. Last summer I did a 1300kms long in Greece, without managing to have the pictures I like... Too dificult with the D1, but, when I came back, I ound a remote control...

Now I'm happy with my M8 and still hoping to find a solution about it...

If I had to solve that problem, I would look into three areas:

(1) I find it hard to swallow that no one has built a wireless remote shutter release which screws into the camera's release button.

(2) The manual states that you can release the camera from your PC using Digital Capture. Hence, you could attach your camera to the USB port of a very small computer and look for a wireless device which controls the PC.

(3) Presumably the shutter release button in the M8 is a number of electrical contacts which are shorted when you press the button. Seen from an engineering point of view, it can not be all that difficult to built a remote control which lowers the resistance of some circuitry between two contacts. However, that would incur a small change to the camera. It appears that changing Leicas IIs and IIIs was done rather frequently.

Actually, there is a fourth way i would consider: Does the M8 support some kind of continuous shooting? In that case, you could start with an empty SD card and keep on firing while pedalling past your camera.

Edited by pop
Afterthought: continuous shooting