Which 35mm lens for my MP?

Frumkco

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I currently have a voigtlander 35mm skopar Pancake II lens. I love the physical size and the smooth focus action, but while the image details are fine for flickr, they seem to fall apart when I enlarge? I don't mind the creamy look that happens when I shoot wide open (so i might keep it for that effect for certain jobs), but I do mind the very pronounced flare that happens quite a bit.

I am considering a black Zeiss 35mm Biogon C f2.8 lens (NOT the f2), the leica 35mm summicron aspherical in black paint finish (aesthetically pleasing to me) and the chrome summicron (maybe pre-asph) which I believe is more compact and has a slightly heavier feel? Anyone have subjective opinions on these lenses? Zeiss seems like a relative bargain if it holds up wide open. If it does not hold up wide open, it is too slow.

I will be using it mostly on my black paint Leica MP. I shoot lots of tri-x, but for critical work I shoot slower films. Your opinions are most welcome.

I currently have a voigtlander 35mm skopar Pancake II lens. I love the physical size and the smooth focus action, but while the image details are fine for flickr, they seem to fall apart when I enlarge? I don't mind the creamy look that happens when I shoot wide open (so i might keep it for that effect for certain jobs), but I do mind the very pronounced flare that happens quite a bit.

Don't know which hoods you might use with your CV, but some of the Leica 35mm lenses are not necessarily any better, for flare.

I'd suggest try before you buy, the real use of a M8, is you can compare lenses real quickly.

Noel

Guest s.m.e.p.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will be using it mostly on my black paint Leica MP. I shoot lots of tri-x, but for critical work I shoot slower films. Your opinions are most welcome.

So you should buy the special black paint version of the summicron-m 35/2.0 asph. :rolleyes:

I had the C-Biogon. Sold it to buy the Summicron 35 ( black paint). While beautiful and without reproach technically, I couldn't get along with the focusing tab: I found it next to impossible to focus this lens closer than 1.5 m quickly, which made portraits quite difficult. Sold it and now I ordered the C-Biogon back. I loved this little lens. The 2.8 will not be that limiting. I have the M9 but used it for a year on the MP and was VERY satisfied with this little jewel of a lens. In use it doesn't get in your way of shooting, it feels like an extension of the eye, due to the lack of a focusing tab and its small size.

Hope it helps, Horea

Thank you all for your responses. Sounds like I will be happiest with either the black paint summicron asph or the Zeiss Biogon C. If I were getting a single lens, it would probably be the summicron, but since I also use a 50 summicron (current version) I may go with the Zeiss. For those of you who inquired about flare, I will be happy to share examples when I get home and have time to search for a few examples. I also can show you examples of what I refer to as "creamy" and what I mean when I say I am concerned about the details when I enlarge. Although I prefer not to post them on this site. Perhaps there is a way to send the examples privately? I am a novice on the board so I do not know the etiquette or the functionality so well yet.