Which 35mm lens is the best for M?

minibus

It depends on your budget and how fast of a lens you would like, as well as your contrast preferences.

You can't go wrong with a 35 Summicron Asph, it's a wonderful lens, high contrast but not harsh in my opinion and tack-sharp wide open.

If you're not on an unlimited budget, not a pixel-peeper and want a deal, I'd wait for the new 35 Summilux Asph to be introduced and then snap up a reduced-price old (current-version) 35 Summilux Asph.

If I had no 35 that's what I'd do.

I've done tests, and even printed them at the equivalent of 40-inch prints, and I can say that the focus shift is a small problem and in practice it's no problem, at least with my copy of the lens. I suppose buying with the option to return or from a local shop where you can try it out first would be a good idea, but it's a good idea with any lens really.

I have both the current 35's--the 'Lux Asph and 'Cron Asph. The 'Lux is my favorite but the 'Cron is good for traveling light and as backup.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
No doubt the best reviews, but his format sucks. As a paid customer I find his site extremely uncomfortable to read from. He spends too much effort protecting his reviews from being copied than providing his paying customers a nice site to find information in. I will not renew my subscription unless he fixes this. Its like we pay an extra fee to be subjected to the worst format ever to enjoy it.

Stick with Steve Huffs free reviews.

Man, I completely agree. The format is terrible on a computer--and it doesn't work at all on an ipad.

• Like 2

I own the 35 Summilux-ASPH f/1.4, 35 Summarit f/2.5, Zeiss 35 C-Biogon f/2.8 and CV 35 Skopar f/2.5.

All are v good lenses and none will disappoint, but the Summilux would be my choice as it has the speed, which you will need at some point.

Apart from that, I recommend the Summarit, a really good coded (useful if you are shooting an M8 or M9) reasonable aperture lens. The build is just as good as my other Leica lenses. I tend to shoot the Zeiss on my M7. The CV is certainly a real bargain and very small.

and there are many outstanding options at this focal length

when I learned that Cosina was discontinuing the 1.2 Nokton, I decided to get one

I find it an exemplary lens optically with superb bokeh and it focuses perfectly from near to far

bokeh is dreamy, perhaps from having 12 aperture blades & it adroitly handles specular highlights

it is a large lens, which I suppose is the price you pay for the extra speed, but the optional vented lens hood helps minimize viewfinder blocking

mine seems solidly built

I think this unique lens, the fastest 35 available, deserves at least a mention in any discussion of exemplary RF 35 mm lenses

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was dying to get a Summacron recently since I had one back in the 90s (and remember it fondly). However, I've been using the Zeiss Biogon f/2 and I cannot find any faults with it so I can't bring myself to buy a Summicron. The only thing I can see me getting with a Summicron is smaller size.

The only thing I can see me getting with a Summicron is smaller size.

Everything is relative: the Summicron ASPH is so flare-prone that you really cannot use it without a hood, which makes is size advantage dissappear. The Biogon, as all ZM lenses, has no such problem.

In Leica-land, the most flare resistant lens (in my experience) is the Summilux 50 ASPH.

Cheers,Horea

I own the 35 Summilux-ASPH f/1.4, 35 Summarit f/2.5, Zeiss 35 C-Biogon f/2.8 and CV 35 Skopar f/2.5.

All are v good lenses and none will disappoint, but the Summilux would be my choice as it has the speed, which you will need at some point.

Apart from that, I recommend the Summarit, a really good coded (useful if you are shooting an M8 or M9) reasonable aperture lens. The build is just as good as my other Leica lenses. I tend to shoot the Zeiss on my M7. The CV is certainly a real bargain and very small.

Instead of starting new a tread; my question is what's best - 35mm cron pre-asph 7 element made Canada or new Summarit? Or just go for the new 35 asph cron? I'm not looking for low light situation just an all around lens whit my new M9.

Thank in advance

Bernard

Everything is relative: the Summicron ASPH is so flare-prone that you really cannot use it without a hood, which makes is size advantage dissappear.

I'd probably go for a version 3 myself... I'm a bit cheap. ;)

My chum has a recent f2 35mm, I lashed out for the 1.4.

Erwin Puts (Leica Lens Compendium) says there's a different 'fingerprints' to each, but by f2,8 from memory, they are equal. We ourselves can't tell the difference (yet we can tell the difference between the excellent Tri Elmar at 28mm at f4 and the latest 28mm 'prime' at f4,0, so we are quite critical)

My eyes are lousy and my hands not steady, so the extra speed of the 1,4 'lux is indeed a help in evening street shots or even landscapes in my usual torrential holiday weather. I try and stick to one slide film (Provia 100, so I sometimes need speed). Both the 35mm's have superb bokeh (sorry), the 1,4 needs its hood which blocks a lot of view, can be annoying.

I think Leica were right to do the 2,5 which (heresay) is brilliant at it's price point, and smaller.

All highly subjective, but if I had to sell up everything then the MP and the 1,4 35mm summilux would be the last to go, you can 'do photography' with these kit; it's a love affair

On Zeiss; 1/3rd stops is nice but having handled their stuff literally side by side with Leica's, sorry, the build quality while plainly more than adequate, isn't the same feel. Their pro movie lenses though are something else, wow! I have always had a soft spot for Zeiss lens design and construct quality, more than once they led the World, its just that they (not alone in this) have sub-let to Japan some of their range and I think one can tell by the feel. Not at all that our friends at Solms are by any means infallible, but......

Very long story short back to the poster; if budget restrains and if hands are young and steady the newer 2,5 is fine.

If you have more dough and you like me hate living with regret, the F2 35mm.

If nothing but the best, most, widest, fastest classic design short of the Nocti must be yours at any price, the asph 1,4 'lux. Call me smug, then, as I got mine five years ago it has nigh on doubled in price.

Hi The current model suffers from focus shift . . . all the rumours suggest a newer model with a moving element some time.!

I have the Summilux 35 mm ASPH (serial number 3749059 from 1996). I use this excellent lens a lot and never noticed a sign of focus shift!

This kind of matters start to live a life of its own when mentioned, and although I will be the last one to say that focus shift for the 35 Sum does not exist, I would not be too concerned about it!

This is a very special lens and I feel together with my new Summilux 50mm ASPH, the best lenses around.

• Like 1

Just chiming in here. I have had a Summicron 35mm lens since 1995, that I bought used and from the serial number its as old as 1993. This lens has never let me down on my M6, an EPSON RD-1, and now my M9. I've always loved the picture quality this lens produces, especially on M cameras. And, its still as good as new! Solid working little lens.

I recently bought an old 35mm Summilux ASPH which I am just starting to use. So far so good. However, I have decided I still like my Summicron for general use. The Summilux ASPH is HEAVY!!!!! Also, is way longer with the hood on so does not fit as nicely into my small Hadley bag. With the Summicron, I leave the hood on and can quickly grab it for a shot. So, in general, the Summicron is my GO TO lens, still. :p Either that one, or my 50mm Sumilux (non ASPH) which is reasonable size and weight for my bag.

They are all great.

• 6 years later...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

These are my small collection of 35mm focal length lenses;

An f3.5 Summaron, that came with a Leica 2f outfit that started me back into Leicas 10 years ago. Currently on the Leica CL. Back in the 1970's I had the goggles version on my M3.

A nice old pre-war f3.5 Elmar.

The removable bayonet version of the f2.8 Summaron.

f2 Summicron, type 3.

A Schneider f2.8 Xenogon in Leica screw fit.

A poor-man's Summilux, the Voigtlander Nokton Classic f1.4

And sneaking in on the edge a Nikon f3.5 W-Nikkor for my Nikon S2 or Contax 2a.

Of course all the screw lenses can be used on an M body with the screw to M adaptor.

To answer the title :

Which 35mm lens is the best for M?

:rolleyes: ALL of course

B)

OR this one:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/28mm-35mm-50mm_f/4_ASPH_Tri-Elmar-M

MATE or Tri-Elmar-M 28-35-50 (my best 35mm for a while)

when I'm tired of 35mm field, I can choose one of the other two fields ;) with a flip of a ring.

As side note, I think that the question of "best 35mm lens" or whatever other best can't be covered.

We are all different so best for one person can be a joke for another person.

Leica is very forgiving for 35 on M in terms of M9/M-E. To me it is obvious what most expensive 35 ever made by Leica is the best. Then some huge Cosina Zeiss 35 lens for big bucks. They are all perfect lenses. Best ones.

But, personally, I've been capable with just Jupiter-12 50$ lens. This is how good M9/M-E is. 

Bless your pockets...